slaybahuga777

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My friend and I are working on a game together and have a shared onedrive folder. For a while, the onedrive was working fine and would instantly sync whenever one of us saved a project, but more recently, we have been having some issues. Sometimes when it syncs, some files will be missing, or a map will turn up blank. Most recently, a map was missing (it was listed in my files and was present and functional during the play-test but it won't show up in the editor).

I'm not sure if it is the onedrive causing these problems or if it is a problem with rpgmv. Or possibly issues caused by the game being shared between a mac and a pc?

Does anyone have any experience with working on games though a shared folder? Has anyone else run into these issues or know how to fix them?

Thanks!

Last edited:

vico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I have objections to this method, especially after losing + - 1000 files in MEGAsync.
The best way to develop in group is using some GIT solution, or hosting a git server on a spare computer or using Github/Bitbucket services. Note that Bitbucket gives you free private repositores.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use a clouddrive for backup or for sharing, but you should never use it for working on something.

All RPG Makers handle their files like a database, permanently open for access while the project is being worked on. Which means that if the clouddrive tries a sync while the editor is working on it, that file will be destroyed.

Work on a local copy and only use clouddrives (any type or company) for distribution.

Rixxus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can use a clouddrive for backup or for sharing, but you should never use it for working on something.

All RPG Makers handle their files like a database, permanently open for access while the project is being worked on. Which means that if the clouddrive tries a sync while the editor is working on it, that file will be destroyed.

Work on a local copy and only use clouddrives (any type or company) for distribution.
Would this still be true, @Andar? It would be safe though to work on it on one pc, upload the files after finishing, download them to the other pc and pick it up from there though, right?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Rixxus yes, it is still true - it is technically impossible to change that unless the harddrives become much faster. After all there is a reason why all database-type programs (for example MS Access or Filemaker) use that type of access.

It might be prevented if the programs responsible for snyc'ing clouddrives would check for that type of access, but as far as I know they haven't done that as of a year ago (haven't bothered to check since then). And adding such checks would make sync slower.

A github-type repository can be used for distributed teamwork, but then again that is not the same as cloudsyncing...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I finished setting up my new desk and apparently she thinks this is where she goes now.

20210411_082331.jpg
not me baking a pie because i was inspired by celeste
Doing RPG Maker News for 10th April, 2021. :LZScheeze: (Improving on the thumbnails, by using assets from the day's news.)
Just discovering the forum.
Since Final Fantasy VII has been trending today, decided to make a series of my favorite bars in the OG game! Check it out:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
venxarmy