zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've seen the following issue for a few people and I've tried said solutions but I can't seem to get anything to work. Basically, I've been drawing my own custom battlers and I'm using both Yami's Sideview plugin to allow for more frames, along with Yanfly's Animated Sideview Battlers... My actor show's up just fine and once I figured out my sizing issues, I've had absolutely no issues on that end. My enemy however appears to blink constantly and not show the up in the entire frame of the picture so to speak.

Now I've seen people haven't been remembering the <Sideview Width: x> and Height related notetags... and while I tried those, my the only thing that would occur is my enemies spacing between them and the actor would increase. basically their hitbox would expand I guess you could say. I also tried adjusting the <Sideview Actor Size: x, y> and that doesn't seem to affect anything at all for some reason, unlike with the actor.

I haven't drawn every motion I had planned on yet, but I figured that was ok since I hadn't for the actor and it was still ok. I even resized the sprites within the sheet to see if it would help and it didn't seem to change much.
cool.jpg
If anyone is aware of something I'm not doing, please let me know and thank you...

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Try switching the placements of the plugins. I did a similar thing with a different plugin for adding frames and that fixed the issue.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try switching the placements of the plugins. I did a similar thing with a different plugin for adding frames and that fixed the issue.
I've got Yami's placed below Yanfly's as they instruct and that hasn't has any effect on things either unfortunately. I even turned off all of my plugins but the necessary ones and I couldn't seem to fix the issue.

EDIT: I fixed it... it seems I needed BOTH tags for Yami and Yanfly's plugins. I hadn't put the one for Yami's. When I had it at first, copied from my actor's box, an error would pop up so I changed <Sideview Actor: Filename> to Battler.... so I only had Yanfly's calling for the actor, thus if thought it was calling for a normal sideview battler, explaining why my frames where off and the blinking. I didn't realize I'd need both <Sideview Battler: Filename> AND <Sideview Actor: Filename>...

Tho I am having an odd issue sizing wise. I tried using a certain set of dimensions 784x1024 and I plugged in all the sized yet in battle, the actor was practically turning around towards the other end of the screen to hit the enemy, their hitbox was so large. normally I'd chalk that up to the dimensions, but my actor has HUGE dimensions and not only does he appear bright and crisp on screen (from not having to be shrunk), but enemies attack directly infront of him instead of miles away. I'm sure I can figure something out here. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

hitbox.PNG

Like, I'm not able to shrink anything without him swaying out of frame... But I'm also not able to have my actor get as close as I'd like because of all the "empty space"... which is also plaguing the height, hence the enemies name being down so low. I tried tagging the height as just the frame's height but that causes other issues. I've seen other people use custom enemies so I'm sure I'm just not doing something right as far as sizing goes? does it have to do with anchoring?

Last edited:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I fixed it... it seems I needed BOTH tags for Yami and Yanfly's plugins. I hadn't put the one for Yami's.
Oh, good, I don't know Yami's plugins well so it didn't occur to me that would be an issue. Glad you got it to work.

but my actor has HUGE dimensions and not only does he appear bright and crisp on screen (from not having to be shrunk), but enemies attack directly infront of him instead of miles away.
Like, I'm not able to shrink anything without him swaying out of frame... But I'm also not able to have my actor get as close as I'd like because of all the "empty space"... which is also plaguing the height, hence the enemies name being down so low.
I might be a little confused on the issue, but it does look like there is a ton of empty space on the actor you posted in OP that you could crop without costing anything.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, good, I don't know Yami's plugins well so it didn't occur to me that would be an issue. Glad you got it to work.

I might be a little confused on the issue, but it does look like there is a ton of empty space on the actor you posted in OP that you could crop without costing anything.
see it's funny, that's the case with my actor as well as I haven't drawn every motion/frame yet. BUT, because of the way I configured the space, there's hardly any "empty space" between say the actor and where the enemy approaches to attack them. Yami's plugin makes it also act so if you don't define a motion, walk will be used and I have that motion finished. The empty space on the enemy's is for the other motions I plan to make. Yami's plugin works where you have a whatever amount of frames going across per motion and down is index of each different motion. the problem I'm having is unless I make my enemies really small, the excess space around the actual sprite is so big that it pushes everything too far.

bandicam 2019-05-09 15-55-06-893.jpg

basically I want to try to have the HP gauges match the actual size of the sprite, mostly because everything beyond the sprite itself is extra space. the actor only goes as far as the HP gauge. so imagine a bigger enemy with even more extra space. that happened earlier when I tried the same size setup as my actor for the enemy and basically my actor would turn to the opposite side and attack the back side of the screen instead of going near the actual sprite of the enemy itself. I basically don't know how to get rid of the extra space on enemies, just actors...

EDIT: This is what I'm trying to avoid...

ScreenShot_5_9_2019_4_41_4.png

my actor attacks alllll the way back here because of all the extra space between the actual enemy sprite and the width of the sheet... I'm not sure how to get rid of it for enemies, the same setup I used for my actor actually makes the spacing issue way worse for enemies. I have my height and width set to the total of the sheet because setting it to just the size of each frame, as I did for the actor, causes an out of frame swaying issue.

Last edited:

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The empty space on the enemy's is for the other motions I plan to make.
I think this is the part I'm confused on. The first frame on the second row the sprite takes up roughly 25% of the frame (about 50% vertical and horizontal). Will the character take up more of the frame on certain actions?

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think this is the part I'm confused on. The first frame on the second row the sprite takes up roughly 25% of the frame (about 50% vertical and horizontal). Will the character take up more of the frame on certain actions?
It can potentially take up more space. It's not as simple as the standard sheet of 64x64 where I think it's one size fits all frames. Like the 3rd frame of the enemy takes more space, thus filling up the frame more, width wise, than the 1st frame. It's hard to explain honestly if you haven't been messing with custom battler sheets I feel. or I'm just doing a really bad job lol.

this is how my actor looks...
actor.PNG

I have room for 10 frames in each row. each row is a motion like walk, guard, damage, etc... because of how Yami's plugin is setup, you can tell it to only read 1 frame per row even if you have more there. as each frame isn't always the same size, I needed a certain frame of space in general. any space you see within each box beyond the character is extra... it's counted in the engine tho. so instead of an icon going right above the character's head, it goes above the edge of the empty space. this works fine for my actor honestly. but the enemy seems to have to address it's ENTIRE dimension size. like when you list <Sideview Battler Height/Width: x> you have to put the entire size of that dimension. I don't have to do that for the actor. just the size of each box you see in the pic. so instead of counting just the empty inside of the singular box around the drawing, for the enemy (in my case it seems), it seems to count the space of the entire sheet. or so I'm assuming??? I hope that makes things a bit more clear tho.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
but the enemy seems to have to address it's ENTIRE dimension size. like when you list <Sideview Battler Height/Width: x> you have to put the entire size of that dimension. I don't have to do that for the actor. just the size of each box you see in the pic. so instead of counting just the empty inside of the singular box around the drawing, for the enemy (in my case it seems), it seems to count the space of the entire sheet. or so I'm assuming??? I hope that makes things a bit more clear tho.
Have you tried putting in just the size of the frame like you do with the actor just to see what happens? I know I've had oddities like that where even though it says to do one thing in practice it wants another. Your actor definitely takes up much more of each frame, so that could be why it works. Have you tried using your actor as an enemy to see if you get the same issue?

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried putting in just the size of the frame like you do with the actor just to see what happens? I know I've had oddities like that where even though it says to do one thing in practice it wants another. Your actor definitely takes up much more of each frame, so that could be why it works. Have you tried using your actor as an enemy to see if you get the same issue?

tried my actor annnnd....
ScreenShot_5_9_2019_5_17_50.png

his HP stretches across for miles... and when I set his dimensions to just the size of the frame like normal, he dances across the screen not staying in place. So as I figured, it's taking the entire width and height into account it seems. and since his is huge, this happens lol. tho say I had a normal enemy in there, the spacing isn't even an issue. the enemies go right up to him and attack. no huge gaps in between the player and enemy.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, there's definitely some conflict going on is my guess. Did changing the dimensions help?

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, there's definitely some conflict going on is my guess. Did changing the dimensions help?
the height yes... the width, not so much. makes characters skip around the screen for some reason. I'm not exactly sure what I should do here. if I make them tiny and use Yanfly's plugin to scale them up, they become really blurry. I'm curious what anyone else has done for enemies using both of these plugins...

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
the height yes... the width, not so much. makes characters skip around the screen for some reason. I'm not exactly sure what I should do here. if I make them tiny and use Yanfly's plugin to scale them up, they become really blurry. I'm curious what anyone else has done for enemies using both of these plugins...
Do you have to input how many frames are possible with the sheet? I remember having that issue with a different plugin, I didn't notice I had to input that. Do you have a link to Yami's plugin? I could look it over.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you have to input how many frames are possible with the sheet? I remember having that issue with a different plugin, I didn't notice I had to input that. Do you have a link to Yami's plugin? I could look it over.
You only have to put how many frames you're using, not how many are possible. in my actor's setup, 10 are possible but my walk only uses 4... so I only have to list 4. here's a link to a modified version that I'm using because the base one has issues with newer versions of Yanfly's animated battler plugin.... https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0btfQIoP2cWa2xUZ0NybmFWMWM

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm using because the base one has issues with newer versions of Yanfly's animated battler plugin
Are you using whichever version of MV works best with it? I'd normally say make sure everything is updated but you're intentionally not doing that.

You only have to put how many frames you're using, not how many are possible.
It looks like the plugin wants a "default" number of frames per pose. That might affect something, I'm unsure.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you using whichever version of MV works best with it? I'd normally say make sure everything is updated but you're intentionally not doing that.

actually I have everything updated, from MV to plugins. the only oddity is the yami plugin is modified because it started having issues with newer plugin updates from Yanfly.

It looks like the plugin wants a "default" number of frames per pose. That might affect something, I'm unsure.
and yeah I think the defaults are a just in case measure. they represent the default frames per motion. tho you could be right.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
bump... I've figured out the issue, but I don't have a solution unfortunately. Yanfly's plugin read's normal SV actor/battler spritesheets just fine. I converted my enemy to one of those, editing out a few frames here and there. No excess space problems. but... that's only ok on smaller enemies, I was hoping to have the advantage of the extra frames for anything human sized or bigger. if anyone is using Yami's sideview battler plugin for enemies and has a workaround as far as Yanfly's animated enemies plugin reading the spritesheet's, please let me know...

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so I actually have a solution to this finally! I was lucky enough to have help getting a patch made on how Yanfly's Animated SV Enemies plugin reads spritesheets. it works perfectly fine. reads things more so how according to how you setup Yami's spritesheets. I can give the link if anyone's interested. the plugin is free since I paid for the patch to happen.

kirbwarrior

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, that's awesome! A link would be great for anyone wanting to use those two together. I might have to look more into Yami plugins.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, that's awesome! A link would be great for anyone wanting to use those two together. I might have to look more into Yami plugins.
here's the link... https://banned.url/compatibility-yedyep-svenemies... for anyone who could use something like this. it patches the sizing issues with Yami and Yanfly's SV enemies. just be sure to credit master2015hp, as without 'em, this patch wouldn't have happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I never realized how much fun destroying scenery by ramming it would be, or how much I keep think "I'm the Juggernaut!" when I do. :LZSexcite:
finally i have some free time
Well, the Danganronpa games are the biggest disappointment I've had playing mystery games. I've never had so much BS shoveled down my throat. They're an insult to intelligence.
OMG! There's a rat themed Steam profile wallpaper for 5k lunar tokens. I want it so badly!
Huh, lots has changed since I've been away...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpurdy3