CEO1234

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly's save core for RPG Maker MV really adds a lot of useful functionality to my game. However, my game will have save spots, so you won't be able to save in the game until you come across these spots. This wasn't initially a problem, but then I noticed that you can still delete or load a file (even with save disabled).

This means you could accidentally overwrite or delete an entire file, which means every player would need to back up many saves as a precaution, which is ridiculous. If a player were to delete a file, they would need to frantically try to find a save spot just to save that file. That's unacceptable. If they accidentally close their game afterward before saving after deleting a file, that file would be gone forever.

My question is, how would I disable the extra functions in the Yanfly plugin, then re-enable them every time a player interacts with a save spot? I want to disable and enable (whenever I want) the delete and load functions just like the general save function. If this problem cannot be solved, I will not use this plugin, so it's not the end of the world.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have the Main Menu Core, you could try to use it to remove the Save option from the menu.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
or look into TSR_Save which can start from save, has an autosave feature,
and you dont need to load/delete, while delete can be optional.

you dont need to go to the save scene if you have save spots, if it saves
on the current savefile.

you have endless possibilities, even more than YEP_SaveCore.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This means you could accidentally overwrite or delete an entire file, which means every player would need to back up many saves as a precaution, which is ridiculous. If a player were to delete a file, they would need to frantically try to find a save spot just to save that file. That's unacceptable. If they accidentally close their game afterward before saving after deleting a file, that file would be gone forever.
While Sword's suggestion is good (disable the menu command, call the scene directly from your save spots), I don't understand the degree of your concern. Why does the ability to delete a save mean "every player would need to back up many saves as a precaution?"
I have almost never used multiple save slots in any game, unless I'm playing it with a different character/path. Why do you think that just because the possibility exists, people are going to sit there going through the menu to mindlessly delete their save? Do you do this in the games you play? If you simply save your game into the same slot every time, why would you ever need to manually delete one?

People who play video games have dealt with the situation you describe for decades. I mean, pretty much every game ever that has save game slots allows for the situation where you could delete your save without making a new one.

I think you're way too worked up about the potential stupidity of a stray person that will probably never actually happen while playing your game. :wink:

Last edited:

CEO1234

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps you're right. I mean, it's a slim chance that someone would accidentally delete their save file, but it would still be a nuisance if somebody were to make that mistake. Maybe I should just leave it alone. The odds of it happening are slim.

I will try different plugins, or I could keep using the save core. Or, I could just not use any plugin. That's fine too.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just feel that if you spend time trying to prevent via coding any stupid decisions the player might make, you'll never get a game done. I mean, they could get into a fight and choose Guard every turn and eventually die because they never hit the enemy. Would you try to hardcode it so they're forced to Attack every so many turns? :stickytongue:

So long as you don't do anything to make stupid decisions look like the right thing to do, you've done your part.

CEO1234

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then the problem solves itself. Thanks everyone!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D
So got my hearing tested to see if it was the cause of my mishearing what people say. Test showed no problems but talked with the doctor about anxiety and ADHD causing hearing issues and she agreed and also added that some people hear things differently. With my anxiety cause I am in fight or flight I pay attention to all the sounds in the area so body knows when react. Can't pay attention to one source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otwm