- Dec 29, 2012
- Reaction score
- First Language
- Primarily Uses
Biter Maps v1.07 [Discontinued as of 09-22-2018]
by Lantiz (Biterkid)
by Lantiz (Biterkid)
Today I bring you guys a small pack of plugins that may be used to procedurally generate maps at run time.
That means a new map can be created based on random numbers whenever the player enters the map.
I've been working with these plugins for a long time and decided to share it so the community can work together and improve them. I'm currently using a slightly different version of these because of the way that my game works, but this can be the basis for whatever you may need to generate.
Currently it's possible to generate the following patterns:
- Grid (generate rooms for Zelda-like games);
- Side scrolling;
- Town (small towns, medieval style);
- World (can also be used for outside maps).
Aside from generating the maps, there's also the option to use fog of war and Zelda-like camera scrolling.
These plugins are really complex and I don't have enough time to write a full documentation.
I'm sorry about this, but if you read the help section of each plugin or the code itself, I'm sure you can understand it.
Of course you can also ask here for help, I'll help whenever I can.
Also, I'm not perfect.
As I said before, I started working on these plugins a long time ago and I learned a lot since then.
What I mean is: the plugins are not perfect, they may have errors and compatibility issues.
If you think you can help to improve them you can edit any of these, but please, only share it here at this topic so we can keep an updated code that everyone can use
It saves the map state: layers, events, self switches... all that is inside the $dataMap object.
- Add the plugins to the project;
- Use a $ sign at the start of the map name;
- Add the note tags to the map, following the help section of the btr_map_core file and each extension as needed;
- Add the tiles on the map following the positions [x,y] of each extension's help section;
- Add the desired events (and it's note tags) to the map, see btr_map_core and each extension for the possible note tags;
I uploaded some sample map files and a mapinfo file to the zip package in case you want to see how to configure it.
There's also a readme.txt file included.
- btr_map_core v1.07
- Removed the <persist> feature for better compatibility with event handling plugins;
- The events won't be removed from the dataMap anymore.
Free to use with proper credits given.
Also, check my game here, tell me what you think about it.
You can follow me on Twitter too.