Program crashing while changing database items

snakes_wayne

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all, I've just downloaded RPG Maker MV for the first time. Unfortunately, the program crashes reliably while changing things in the database. It doesn't matter what, I can try to create a new character, edit a state, or click any buttons within the database and it has a chance to just crash. There is no error message, either. Any help?

I'm on Windows 10, bought the program on Steam. The program is installed on my SSD if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
check which version was installed by steam. There was an internationalisation error in 1.0 that caused crashes like described if the country you're in used comma and dot other than the USA/japanese format.

second possibility is that your project is stored in a wrong folderpath. It defaults to "my documents", but that can cause problems if your username contains letters that are not allowed under networking rules (which allows only latin letters, no spaces and limited number of special signs), or if you had activated Microsofts OneDrive (due to the database-type access used by the makers the projects should never be worked on in a cloudsynced folder as that can cause access collisions).

Third possibility would be a protection program interfering, but that would usually happen independent of database or mapping...

snakes_wayne

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! I believe the version is 1.6.2, but I also live in the US where there shouldn't be an issue with using comma instead of period for decimals.

My game project is stored here:
X:\RPGMaker\Test

Does that look like it would cause an issue?

I don't use OneDrive or any cloud-based folders, nor do I think I have any third party programs that might affect it. I really appreciate your reply!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is X a remote drive, an USB drive or an internal harddrive?
There have been some reports of problems with remote or external drives.

If that is not the case, then either the program is damaged and needs to be reinstalled, or one of your other background programs is interfering (like antivirus, parental guidance, network control or a few other possibilities.

snakes_wayne

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
X is an internal solid-state drive. I have reinstalled over to my actual hard drive and it seems to be working fine now. I'm not sure why it wasn't cooperating with the SSD, though! Thanks for talking me through it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
X is an internal solid-state drive.
It might be internal, but with a drive name of X: I strongly suspect it is not using the regular internal SATA connections, because those are automatically assigned drive letters beginning with C: onward.
and if it is using one of the additional connections originally meant for external drives, then it can have inherited their access problems even if the drive is physically inside your computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who would think putting a power button on a side of a laptop is a good thing? You want to move the laptop and you suddenly press the button.
The second draft of my script is almost done, and I don't think I'm going to write a third draft. I'll make changes to dialogue here and there, but I'm happy with the series of events the way they are.
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasasewamobilbali