First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
PROJECT COMPASS DEMO

banner.png

SYNOPSIS
Woe betide men who no longer reach out
with the hands that they have been given.

Project Compass Demo is a plot- and character-driven adventure in the style of traditional turn-based Japanese role-playing games. Much care has gone into the storytelling and also into the combat and the hand-crafted boss battles with the aim of providing the player with an all-around engaging experience. The story of Project Compass will gradually unfold as the player progresses through the game.

The demo will take you through one chapter of Project Compass, and the main scenario will take a couple of hours to complete. There's also a healthy amount of additional content in the demo including a few secrets and optional, challenging boss fights for those who want to invest more time in the demo.

The demo was finished some time ago already so I'm super late with making a post about it here, but I would like for as many people as possible to enjoy my game so I'm here now! The game is currently not in active development (It would be a dream to actively work on this one, though!) but I will come back to fix bugs and the likes if such are reported to me and maybe otherwise make improvements to this demo if there is a case for them.

Enjoy, and do give feedback! ;)

Features

- A story-rich tale set in a fantasy world - Project Compass is as much about telling a story as it is about engaging gameplay, and the writing aims to both move you and make you laugh. While the demo is only a small part of a bigger whole, it can also be appreciated as a stand-alone game that has a beginning and an end.
- Engaging combat and multiple combat skills - The turn-based combat in the demo is about making good decisions and effectively managing your resources like TP and MP. Through leveling up the characters will gain more and more combat skills that open up further strategies. Skills themselves can also be leveled up to decrease their resource costs. In terms of difficulty, the game leans on the challenging side but is never unfair.
- Optional bosses - The optional bosses of the game are designed to spank you in the butt the first time you encounter them, but they can also be beaten without excessive grinding if you figure them out and employ the correct strategy. Great rewards await those who can overcome the toughest challenges of the demo.
- Secrets - The sidequest-like content in the demo is an organic part of the game in that the game leaves it up to the player to discover its secrets.

Additional info
- The game runs on Windows computers.
- When you extract the game folder from the .rar or .zip file, keep the folder titled 'www' in the same location as the game file in order for the save function to work in the game.
- Parts of the game contain references to and depict the use of alcohol, and therefore the game may not be suitable for young children. Use your discretion here.

SCREENSHOTS
screen1.jpgscreen7.jpgscreen10_3.jpgscreen14.jpgscreen5.jpgscreen11.jpgscreen15.jpgscreen13.jpgscreen17.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK
You can download the game on its itch.io page:

https://caerule.itch.io/project-compass-demo

CREDITS
(Cleared of explicit spoilers to the best of my ability but I don't recommend reading these before completing the game)

Created by Caerule

QA by Anna Ellis-Rees, Ben Rose and Leevi Jämsä

Project Compass Demo was created with the software 'RPG Maker MV' by Kadokawa.

------------

Visuals art assets

Art assets of Add-on Pack Vol.3 (Train tilesets and Character) and Add-on Pack Vol.4 (Kids Generator Parts) are part of the Add-on series (the "Product").

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of the product are property of KADOKAWA (the "Creator") and third party allowed by the Creator. The product is published by Degica Co., LTD.

[Copyright](C) KADOKAWA CORPORATION./YOJI OJIMA

The enemy Kamaitachi is created by Marimo, and copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of the battler are their property.

Various accessories and pieces of clothing worn ny non-playable characters were created by hiddenone and Avery.
All right belong to hiddenone, Kadokawa, and Avery.

Action sequence for the skill Jaguar Fang is created by Yanfly of RPG Maker Web Forums.
The game uses a modified version of the action sequence that is not endorsed by the original creator.

Battler and character sprite for the final boss created by Aekashics of http://www.akashics.moe/

Character sprites for Swan, Oriental Dancer, Animated Train, Modular Drawer, Waterfalls, Large Wolf, as well as the enemy Wolf battlers and others were created by Avery of RPG Maker Web Forums.
All rights belong to Kadokawa and Avery.

The Bat and the Rat animated battlers were created by byBibo of RPG Maker Web Forums.
All rights belong to byBibo and Kadokawa.

Certain inside tiles created by Haydeos of RPG Maker Web Forums.
All rights belong to Haydeos and Kadokawa.

Plant battlers created by hiddenone of RPG Maker Web Forums.
All rights belong to hiddenone and Kadokawa.

Floating island tilesets created by hira2 of Hira Shine Factory.
All rights belong to Hira2 and Kadokawa.

Certain generator pieces were created by Ice of RPG Maker Web Forums.

Action sequence for the skill V-Slash is created by Kinger556 of RPG Maker Web Forums.
The game uses a modified version of said action sequence that is not endorsed by the original creator.

Blacksmith NPC created by PandaMaru of RPG Maker Web Forums.
All rights belong to Pandamaru and Kadokawa.

Submerged rocks with ripple and train rooftop battleback created by Sinweaver of RPG Maker Web Forums.
All rights belong to Sinweaver and Kadokawa.

Yona's hairstyle (Gentleman Style I) is an edited version of a hairstyle created by Sythian Bard of RPG Maker Web Forums.

Flaming sword granted by the Fire Sword skill is created by True Clash of RPG Maker Web Forums.
All rights belong to True Clash and Kadokawa.

Hammer Weapon created by whtdragon of RPG Maker Web Forums.

All visual art assets except for the ones expressly mentioned stated above are default assets included in the Run Time Package of RPG Maker MV and RPG Maker VX Ace and are property of Kadokawa.
All rights belong to Kadokawa.

------------

Music and Sound

Track 'DFM2_BGM_sound_adventure' from the album 'Dignified Fantasy Music Vol.2.'

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'Dignified Fantasy Music Vol.2' are property of Degica, Co. Ltd. and third party allowed by the Company.

[Copyright](C) Bitter Sweet Entertainment, Inc.
Published by: Degica Co., LTD
Resource creators: Bittersweet Entertainment, Inc.

Track 'Battle in the Wilderness' is created by YouFulca of Wingless Seraph. Check out his creations on his website: https://wingless-seraph.net/

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'Battle in the Wilderness' are property of YouFulca of Wingless Seraph.

Track 'Secluded Glade' from the album 'Cinematic Soundtrack' is created by Joel Steudler.

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'Cinematic Soundtrack' are property of DEGICA, Co. Ltd. and third party allowed by the Company.

[Copyright](C) Joel Steudler
Resource creators: Joel Steudler

Track 'LNSM_BGM35_Sence1' from the album 'Light Novel Standard Music'.

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'Light Novel Standard Music' are property of its creator, Bittersweet Entertainment and are distributed by DEGICA, Co. Ltd as allowed by the Creator.

[Copyright](C) Degica, Co. LTD (Visual Novel Maker)
Creator: Bittersweet Entertainment

Trakc 'DFM2_BGM_classic_drum' from the album 'Dignified Fantasy Music Vol.2'.

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'Dignified Fantasy Music Vol.2' are property of DEGICA, Co. Ltd. and third party allowed by the Company.

[Copyright](C) Bittersweet Entertainment, Inc.
Published by: Degica., LTD
Resource creators: Bitter Sweet Entertainment, Inc.

Track '2000_Game over3' from the album Add-on Pack Vol.1 (Music and SE) and other Sound Effect assets of Add-on Pack Vol.1 (Music and SE) used in the game are part of the Add-on series (the "Product"). Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of the product are property of KADOKAWA (the "Creator") and third party allowed by the Creator. The product is published by Degica Co., LTD.
[Copyright](C) KADOKAWA CORPORATION./YOJI OJIMA

Track 'The Place of Oath' is created by YouFulca of Wingless Seraph: https://wingless-seraph.net/

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'The Place of Oath' are property of YouFulca of Wingless Seraph.

Track 'The Song of the End' is created by YouFulca of Wingless Seraph: https://wingless-seraph.net/

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'The Song of the End' are property of YouFulca of Wingless Seraph.

Track 'Dog Crying in the Distance' from the album 'Alphabet Planet' is created by Hiroki Kikuta.

Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).

Sound Effect 'Steam Train Whistle' is recorded by Daniel Simion.

Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0).

Track 'harmonic battle1' from the album 'Harmonic Fantasy Music Pack'.

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'Harmonic Fantasy Music Pack' are property of Dancing Dragon Games (The "Creator")and third party allowed by the Creator. The product is published by Degica Co., LTD.

[Copyright](C) Dancing Dragon Games

Track 'FW-Dungeon4' is from the album 'Frontier Works Futuristic Heroes and BGM'.

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of Frontier Works: Futuristic Heroes and BGM MV are property of Degica, Co. Ltd. and third party allowed by the Company.

[Copyright](C) Frontier Works, Inc.
Resource creators: Frontier Works, Inc.

Track 'Castle in the Sky' from the album 'CLASSIC FANTASY MUSIC PACK'. Created by Murray Atkinson.

Copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights of 'CLASSIC FANTASY MUSIC PACK' are property of Degica, Co. Ltd. and third party allowed by the Company.

[Copyright](C) MURRAY ATKINSON
Resource creators: MURRAY ATKINSON

Sound Effect Mountain Lion recorded by wrzesien.
Licensed under Sampling Plus 1.0.

Sound Effect 10 Second Applause recorded by Mike Koenig.
Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0).

All audio assets except for the ones expressly stated above are default assets included in the Run Time Package of RPG Maker MV and are property of Kadokawa.
All rights belong to Kadokawa.

------------

Plugins

Camera Core Plugin was made by SumRndmDde of http://sumrndm.site/

Bind Pictures to Map plugin by Tor Damian Designs. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).

Multiple plugins used in Project Compass Demo were made by Yanfly (Yanfly Engine)

The skill 'X-Cise' was made possible with the Unison Attack plugin for RPG Maker MV by RPG Maker Irina.

Plugin YEP.150 - DragonBones Integration was created by TheGreenKel and Yanfly.

Copyright 2017 TheGreenKel

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

Last edited:

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
WOW i think you it around four or even five of the biggest jrpg cliches in existence with those screenshot.

we've got default sleepyhead protag, young character wanders in rain earlygame (mine has that one too but Legend of Zelda LTTP is the ur-example), "our powers combine!", sideview train minigame...wow son

Cerule

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, trust me, there's more ;) My game makes use of tropes but with the intention of subverting them and putting my own spin on them. I have also intentionally tried to keep the description of my game as vague as possible so as not to spoil anything. You should try playing the very first minute or two of my game to see what I mean.

Thanks for the interesting perspective, though! It hadn't occurred to me that somebody might see it that way. Tbh, my primary aim with using the images that I did was to showcase some of the non-RTP assets in the game.

Cerule

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I reached out to @NikorasuWatosan and he uploaded an entertaining review of my game. Through watching this video you'll also learn what the difference between Detective Conan and Conan the Barbarian is, if there is any, and if Zone energy drink's Firewall flavor tastes any different from their basic flavor. Thanks, Nikorasu!

Last edited:

Cerule

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Version 1.03 is out now! The new version brings with it improvements to the aesthetics of the game and also makes the game a little better of an experience overall. The full list of improvements is readable here:

Also, @JackofAllOps streamed a part of my game. You can find the video for that on his Twitch channel by the same name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Chaos17 wrote on Poryg's profile.
Hi, I am following your videos tutorials serie about coding on MV and I am at the third video. Thank you for making it but's a bit hard to follow since you don't show the whole plugin at the end. I had to screenshot the lines between 110-159 because you scrolled so fast on them.
:rtear:
I'm not sure if I should be happy for MZ, or sad for MV.
Not going to lie.... The update's cool and all, but I immediately ran to Mog's site and was like, "Update! Update! Update!" while breathing on the page of his Star Ocean Battle System plugin. :kaoswt:
Ho boi. I can already see the storm of ugly actor faces RTP customizable facesets from MZ are gonna flood. XD
<-- Meet Seith. He begins the story as an apprentice druid, learning to survive in the wilderness by communing with nature and honing his herbalism. Seith has a deep desire to understand the world around him. When wells of chaotic energy begin erupting from the land,corrupting plant, animal and man alike, Seith finds himself on a journey to discover just what this means for the fate of his home, the land of Myarr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragatoni