RMMV Project Mysterium

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by RedFoxGaming, Dec 20, 2018.

1. RedFoxGaming

RedFoxGaming Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Project Mysterium is the code name for a project I have started working on in RPG Maker MV. The final title is still undecided. This is a game and idea that is still very much in its early stages, with only a basic story and basic mechanics to go on as of now, with more coming as I can work it out. This game I hope to release on all platforms, including Windows, OSX, Linux, iOS, Android, and UWP.

Here is the story so far.
    Prologue

The universe of Mysterium is a very ancient and unknown dimension that exists parallel to the mortal world. Not much is known, as the only known way to achieve a place in Mysterium is through death. It is essen- tially the afterlife of this world. However, those who exist in Mysterium can have a strong effect on the physical world, positive or negative.

Mysterium is also, in itself, a type of energy that exists everywhere, and there are those who are talented enough, either naturally or through extensive training, that can tap into this energy and use it in forms of magic and spells, and with these abilities humans were opened up to all kind of magically abilities that could be used to help build and evolve their civiliza- tion.

However, where there is power like this, there are those who want to use it for their own benefit at the cost of others, or use the power for evil. This created and caused several wars throughout known history, and even- tually it got to a point that supreme beings within Mysterium stripped hu- mans from their magical abilities, and magic has since then gone extinct.

Thousands of years have passed since the last major war, and magic has gone from a reality to simply a myth and story. But there are those who still hunt for its power and believe it exists. A cult of people were created, known as the Ancient Gaians, whose sole purpose is to unlock the mythical power of magic once again, for the benefit of the Ethrelem kingdom. Al- though their mission has so far been unsuccessful, it has caught the attention of other kingdoms who seek out this power, including the dark and mysterious Dragonian empire, who just kinged a new and extremely power- ful emperor. The Dragnian empire, who has just started their conquest of the Ethrelem kingdom, has easily overpowered Castles and Villages of Ethrelem with their advanced technology and advanced armies. With city after city falling, and more than 75% of Ethrelem claimed by the Dragonian empire, something had to be done.

This is where your story begin...

This game is going to take heavy influence from fantasy and sci-fi elements, with a semi industrial world in a distant past on a distant world. Somewhat similar to what FF6 did. The “magic” in this game is going to play a huge role in the plot, as it’s not magic in a traditional sense, but people who can manipulate the energy in the alternate dimension after death of Mysterium, and harness that power to have a physical effect on the real world.

The world takes place on a planetary system far from the Sol system. Simply called Gaia, as is the name of the dual star system. The planet this game takes place on is Tyra. Which oribts Gaia 1. Gaia 1 is a yellow dwarf about the same size of Sol. Also, viewable in the night sky as well as the daytime sky is Gaia 2, a red dwarf that oribts around Gaia 1, and has its own planetary system. This is said to be the home realm of the Mysterium dimension.

Right now I have four Magic Classes that players can harness from, more may come later.

White Magics
    This class contains passive abilities and some healing abilities with the main focus of assisting the party in battle. The only attack magic spells in this class are those that hurt the undead. White mages primary purpose is putting up shields and casting wards to assist the party, and also boosting the party’s stats. They also can heal the party, and make really decent healers, albeit not the best.

Black Magics
    This class contains all of your elemental attack spells. They are your primary magic attackers. They can also cast spells to drain your enemy’s stats. Black Mages typically have more MP than White Mages but less HP.

Red (blood) Magics
    Red Magic is a unique class exclusive to vampires. This class contains curses and spells that specifically hurt your opponents ability to fight. They also have spells that can drain your enemy’s HP and MP. However, red magic spells come at an HP cost. Because of this, vampires have MASSIVE HP reserves. They are also the best healers when it comes to healing the party and healing multiple party members, but at the cost of their own HP.

Copy Abilities
    This class is a trademark of monster tamers. Simply, it is using SP (Stamina Points) to learn and use the abilities of monsters against them.

I am also working out a race system and also a trait system that makes every character unique in their own way, but this is still a work In progress. The trait system will be similar to the Elder Scrollls games, where characters will have abilities they can level up that have specific effects in the world.

Right now I’m planning on using a side view ATB system. And there will also be the option of taming monsters and using them in your party.

I am definitely open to suggestions. I am the only person creating this project in whole. I hope to have more to show soon. Right now it’s a very early stage, and I’m still working out the story.

Canini likes this.
  2. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Seems like a fun idea, a bit like the setting of ff6 combined with the afterlife/source of energy from ff7. IF you feel that you have the gameplay elements down I’d say the next thing to work on is figuring out exactly What sets your world apart from others. I Wish you luck!

3. RedFoxGaming

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I got the basic idea of a world and how I want it designed, I just got to build it and make it "alive". It will take place in a distant fictional star system discovered by the ancients, who also were the ones who discovered humanity's existence on this planet. They also were the ones who introduced mysterium to these people and taught them how to use it.

Gameplay wise, I'm still working on features for that. I am using several of Frog's scripts. We will have exclusive skill sets for certain characters, basic survival mechanics, trait mechanics, multiple levelable skills (still working on this). There will also be a quest system. I want this game to be open ended to a point.

I'm going to get some maps built out, maybe sketch out a world map and post some screenshots soon. There will be multiple worlds, and the realm of mysterium will play a huge role in your journey.

Canini likes this.
  4. RedFoxGaming

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just to post a little update, here is a mockup map of the first world you will be able to play in, using some sort of generator I found on the internet. This generator is really cool and really lets me put in a lot of detail and lore into my maps in a fantasy sense. This is not built out in MV yet, but I know how I want to do this now. I plan for this game to be really large, so the world maps (due to the 250x250 maximum) will be separated into areas, probably 3 or 4 of them. Probably the North part of the island, South part of the island, then the East coast and islands and West coast and islands. Not only that, there will be other realms as well (dark world/underworld, Gaia, Mysterium). Due to the sheer size, I may consider using a plugin to raise the maximum level past 99.

<Link to Image> (The image is huge)

EDIT: Small update. Got a WIP image of the first floor of the starting cave.
    <Link to Image> Note: The blank area between the water is filled in game

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Canini likes this.
  5. BlueZircon

BlueZircon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll touch on this briefly - there's a bit of tension in this design concept.

Using HP as a resource is a "high-risk, high-reward" mechanic. Since HP measures your survivability, it is more precious than other resources and spending it should logically yield greater benefit. But if you give a Blood Mage a superior health pool, then it mitigates the risk of spending HP to use that type of magic because that player naturally has more HP anyway.

Keep in mind that arbitrary design choices like this can lead to unexpected gameplay outcomes. For example, if you gave Red Mages superior HP reserves naturally, then players might find that Red Mages are the best tank class in the game, possibly crowding out classes that you actually designed to be tanks. This may be undesirable and also does not fulfill the common expectation that mages are physically weaker than other classes.