Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, I figured it would be a while, and I was kind of excited to map something, so I started without ya, ha ha.  Sorry I didn't wait.  I'm notoriously impatient ^_^

The Prince of Sarcasm

Prince of sarcasm
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
I am going to upload my map later even though I have it done now.

VideoWizard

Dragon Kingdoms Series producer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've noticed a few places that you can walk off the grid (G-10 in particular). Is that intentional? Only thing I can think of is those lead to dungeons. And I may actually enter this soon, too.

Edit: I'll go ahead and take G-6, H-8 and J-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
https://www.mediafire.com/?5bih4tc3yy26yae

There you go. Updated.

• What do you wish to do with this game? Open world, non levelling,  (a little like D&D, only instead of exp, you get like currency to buy skills, etc)
  • Would you like to have a character creation topic after this? Not character creation as such, more a set up for character creation, ie. race, gender, class etc
  • What kinds of things do you want to see in dungeons? Everything! Battle, dungeons, puzzles
  • Other ideas... Um.... Can't think of anything right now... but I'm sure I can come up with something.

The Yank

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The game should definitely be open-world, considering how well all the maps fit together. There's a script by Tsukihime that can piece together all those sections into one continuous map.

Character creation should definitely be implemented, as is with the nature of most open world games. Dungeons should have all of the aspects mentioned before (puzzles, lore, etc). In terms of storyline, anything that works should be fine. Open-world games aren't really driven by story that much.

Other ideas: In-game books for lore, unique equipment in the various dungeons, multiple endings, fishing, crafting, ABS battle system, multiplayer (i know some of these are ridiculous ideas, but I'm just throwing them out for discussion)

A different thought I had: maybe split the map into regions, and have individual hero "campaign/routes" for each region, linking them together in the end? Sort of like Outlaws of the Marsh, eg. A hero for the desert, one for the frozen north, etc, all with their own story.

Really looking forward to how this turns out, wish I had time to join!

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
One interesting idea:   What if, when you complete major puzzles or boss battles, you get rewarded by being able to swap skills and/or hero upgrades.  For example:

"Thank you for returning the Golden Chalice.  Which reward do you want?"

1. ATK-20, MAT+15, MDF +10

2. AGI-20, ATK+15, DEF + 10

3. ATK-10, Learn Fire II

4. MAT-20, ATK+10, Learn Double Strike

The idea is you would swap skills and such, so eventually your hero would be completely different, depending on which quests were completed, etc.

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Grid updated.

i would like to reserve a-4
Here's the Map A-4 base. Do not edit the bottom row.

Have fun!

I've noticed a few places that you can walk off the grid (G-10 in particular). Is that intentional? Only thing I can think of is those lead to dungeons. And I may actually enter this soon, too.

Edit: I'll go ahead and take G-6, H-8 and J-3.
Here's the map bases for each map you have requested. They're adjacent to other maps so you'll have to keep those rows intact. Whatever rows are already existing, they need to stay that way. Cool? I'm sure you'll be fine.

Here's a project file containing the 3 maps.

Have fun!

~~~

Progress: 44% complete (44/100 maps).

Reserved:

• E-8: mlogan
  • I-9,I-10,J-9,J-10: ShinGamix
  • F-5: jomarcenter
  • B-2: whitesphere
  • A-4: supertristan00
  • G-6,H-8,J-3: VideoWizard
~~~

So far, everything has been going superbly. I love PC's maps, and yes she has been going on a bit of a power trip, but it's a wonderful thing and I need to see more of it. Panda is providing some variety in the maps, which is awesome. I like slimm's attention to detail.

One thing is that i would appreciate if there was no magic involved at all in this game, as it is against my religion. I think we could kind of stay away from magic and sorcery yet the game can still be fun.

I think that will be an interesting concept. Are you OK with portraying magic as evil and manipulative? Because sometimes you have to portray an evil in society and perhaps the evil can be magic in this game?

I've noticed a few places that you can walk off the grid (G-10 in particular). Is that intentional? Only thing I can think of is those lead to dungeons.
When I created that map, I didn't even know it was going to turn into a game. Or if it was even going to take off. But it has, and I'm grateful to all of you because of it. Perhaps it can be a dungeon. I didn't plan it that way, but it could work.

Dammit, in retrospect I should have made the world spherical. As in, C-1 connects to C-10, and A-5 connects to J-5. That'd make it even better. Oh well, perhaps we can add an outer border of maps to make it 12x12 (way later on), and then wrap it around the edges. I think that'd make it REALLY innovative. Perhaps after we have a completed game and want to expand it a bit... (it's in the "pipe dream" category).

@The Yank All of these ideas are brilliant. I will definitely be looking at them in the future. You can still join though! All you need is to build a 17x13 map with the maximum of about 7-14 days. Shouldn't be too hard! ^_^

@whitesphere That is idea is so brilliant. I'll be thinking about this too.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Personally, I'm not OK with banning all of magic from a group project because of a subset of that group's beliefs.  

Some options:

In game magic has some types of permanent consequences, in game.    Sort of like the movie The Covenant, where magic users would age each time they used magic.  This would force the players to use magic strategically.   So, yes, magic is powerful BUT...

Maybe each spell cast has a chance of permanently weakening the user (such lose a percentage of MHP).  Eventually, this would leave the magic user so frail that he couldn't take 1 hit without dying.  Or, maybe magic use causes some other type of lasting damage (- to DEF, ATK or AGI).

Or, instead of magic, have those be a different class of attack altogether.  I have one character (a Bard) who uses his "MP" as Music.   His Music does the usual buffs and debuffs expected of a Bard.  And, he can play a Brown Note which is a group attack.  Really handy against hostile Bats and Wolves for some reason...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Still don't see why we can't just have different classes and the option at the start for people to pick their own classes, that way if you don't want to use magic, you don't have to, and then if you do, you can.

Monsters and bad guys are monsters and bad guys, so their skills are just skills.

That fixes all problems.

The Prince of Sarcasm

Prince of sarcasm
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
I like that idea whiteshpere. Just re-name the term "Magic" to mean something else. In my game since i don't like magic, noah insted prays to god for healing insted of using a healing spell. There is also a script buy Galv that lets you have different names for  ATK DEF MAT MDF AGI LUCK, and stuff for different classes.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I like that idea whiteshpere. Just re-name the term "Magic" to mean something else. In my game since i don't like magic, noah insted prays to god for healing insted of using a healing spell. There is also a script buy Galv that lets you have different names for  ATK DEF MAT MDF AGI LUCK, and stuff for different classes.
That actually can make for a more interesting RPG approach.  Your player cannot directly cast magic. BUT, if you follow a specific quest, perhaps god intervenes during significant battles.  This could be marked as "Blessed" for a nickname.  Conceptually, the game just invokes the blessing or attack, once, in the important battle.

Of course, this leaves in the option of having severe consequences for doing certain things (i.e. Samson) or becoming "Cursed" for doing other things...

The Prince of Sarcasm

Prince of sarcasm
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
We don't have to make the game specifically christian, the idea propsed by Paladin-Cleric of Awsome also sastifies me. Making magic Optional is a good idea to. But i also like whitespere"s idea too. Thanks for helping come up with creative reasons around my problem.

My idea is kind of like whitesphere's, just have somebody that does the equivelent of a mag without the magic. Such as maybee anurse that can heal the party and instead of mp she had fas, firts aid supplies, or something. Or a person who would normally buff the players attak with magic can instead inspire them with music. Getting the same effect as you would get with magic, just wotthout the actual magic.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Those poor unfinished houses... Can I have B-9 please? :)

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Those poor unfinished houses... Can I have B-9 please? :)
Sure, here's the base for B-9.

here is a-4 i think
Map002.zip

whoops just realised i din't put in the backgrouns picture, Oh well
Cool, I just added the BlueSky background as I think it looks nice. Also I added a couple of passability tweaks if you don't mind. You are now able to enter from the north and right faces of the cliff as well. I only connected the tallest peak to the north, because it'd be nice if we had as much "flow" going on as possible. Not as many dead ends.

Hope that's OK.

~~~

Grid updated.

Reserved

• E-8: mlogan
  • I-9,I-10,J-9,J-10: ShinGamix
  • F-5: jomarcenter
  • B-2: whitesphere
  • A-4: supertristan00
  • G-6,H-8,J-3: VideoWizard
  • slimmmeske2: B-9;
~~~

Maybe I'll make a couple maps, who knows.

The Prince of Sarcasm

Prince of sarcasm
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Sarcasm
Primarily Uses
that's ok, I can never eem to get the concept of this thing being a huge map when I am creating my tiny little map

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
AHHHHH!

Must lay claim to my missing map grid thing!

J-6, f-9, B-4

and I need a fourth to make it 20 maps total (because i'm a freak and I like even numbers ok?)

Suggestions please?

Edit: Lol... a tea house next to the fort... well, at least we know the soldiers are never drunk on or off duty. lol.

Edit 2: Just been squinting at the main map... are my two little tiny scout tents in the screenshot there?If not, you may want to copy my Mapstuff.png across to tilesets again... Sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:

encapturer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Things are going pretty quickly.

May I request F-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

it took soooo long to get character assist to work right in my game. like certain fighting games, a team mate can hop in, do an attack, then leave. it works since these are all one on one fights (usually)
Honestly. Didn't sleep for a day. ONCE
Hi! I've been working on some character sprites for my pirate themed game.
Still somewhat new to pixel art, so feedback or inputs would be appreciated ^^
TRIVIA: I love Japanese food and culture! I've never been to Japan, but someday I'm going to go to Tokyo and do some touring, including Disneyland Tokyo and DisneySea! And I even prepared myself for earthquake safety.
The virus really doesn't want us to do this GameJam. v .v' Even if we don't meet the deadline because of it, still plan on making it a game we'll release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaterGoddess