MiLo-Katergaris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am currently struggling with building a class that is capable of projecting their spirit out of their body. The general idea is that the class starts off projecting their spirit for a short time, only long enough to make a magical attack against the enemy, and then builds skills that allow thier spirit different abilities such as lasting longer or permanently, being able to posess enemies and control their actions, or leaving the body behind as the spirit goes out traveling.

How would you go about building this type of class?

What passive abilities would they gain?
What skills would they learn?
Attack skills?
Defensive skills?
Healing skills?
States they can apply?
How would you stat them?
What theme would you give them/how would you make the class feel cohesive?
What would you do to make this class unique from others? Any gimmicks? Any specific facet of the game they would focus on like a Thief focuses on equipment and items or a Time Mage on turn order.

Really just want to see what jumps out to people about a class like this and what they would be interested in seeing/making.

Pots Talos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd probably make the spirit start out ethereal making it hard to hit that can do possession and touch attacks that cause fear. As the main class becomes more powerful the spirit will become less ethereal losing out on its defensive bonuses but can now full interact (cause physical damage) to opponents.
Or even better as the class becomes more powerful you can choose to make the spirit ethereal or corporeal depending on your need in the given situation.

MiLo-Katergaris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd probably make the spirit start out ethereal making it hard to hit that can do possession and touch attacks that cause fear. As the main class becomes more powerful the spirit will become less ethereal losing out on its defensive bonuses but can now full interact (cause physical damage) to opponents.
Or even better as the class becomes more powerful you can choose to make the spirit ethereal or corporeal depending on your need in the given situation.
I like the idea of giving the player the choice between an ethereal or corporeal spirit! Could easily be done through a stance for the main character that creates an aura that only affects their spirit self.

LightBorneX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I would make it so that if the player's body gets controlled, the spirit snaps back into it. Maybe a defense debuff when the player is out of body. The ability to use enemies to protect the body, and maybe other spirit enemies that could take over your body if you are not careful and are out of body. Just a few ideas.

Finnuval

Old Raven following Rainbows
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Kinda combining the above ideas but what I would do is sonething like this :

At first the spirit can only preform quick single turn actions and is tied to the character (sharing hp and no). Acting more like an ability to the character then a character unto its own.

Stage 2 : the spirit acts more like a summon, no sharing HP but Mp still. The human character however unable to act while the spirit is in this stage leaving it vulnerable. Giving the player a choice to return to body making it a tactical decision when to switch between the two

Final stage : human and spirit 'melt' together possession like and get a unique form. Hp of both but quicker no drain on abilities.

Something like that anyways xD

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

party time.png
If you've played Knight Shift Chapter 1 this image'll mean something to you. If not, that's also fine!
Here's a medical question for ya: Why do I start lightly coughing after I drink coffee?
Well, someone "reviewed" my game. Didn't credit me anywhere in the video and spent 2 minutes insulting it. Going to ignore that and move on.
To cut down on map lag, I've been researching how to implement a lighting layer as a single map overlay instead of a bunch of individual lights. Hopefully I'll have a screenshot soon!
Imagine having a game broken up into a whole bunch of chapters? Like Chapter 11 should be about the party members going bankrupt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VicArt