Pros and Cons "after" buying RM MV from Steam or Website!?

Welle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello and I hope I don't double post.

But I'm about to buy RPG MAKER MV (Note: my first rpg maker programm)!
That is why I got a few good questions. And being in my early planning state, means I have some time until I buy the software!
I would like to hear some Pro's thoughts, but everyone is welcome to Answer! ( ^ .^) Just do it!

My questons are:
1. What are the pros and cons "after" buying RM MV from Steam or Website!?
(Also things I don't think of, because Noob) ^^

2. Is the folder placement / location Important... Steam has some stupid folder structure!
(Nobody talks about it in beginner Toturials (Well I haven't search about it yet...))

3. Etc...? ( _ -_) zZ

Also Important for the questions: Selfmade Graphics, Foldermanagement, cha0s_?

Thanks fo the Help!

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You get a Steam key when you buy from the website in addition to a download. Not sure if you get the same when buying through Steam, though.

I also don't like using Steam for RPG Maker; it just feels weird, somehow. I also find the achievements kinda silly.

Steam version of MV still uses the silly folder structure, but it also has a feature to quickly access the DLC for MV, which the stand alone version doesn't have.

I'd just buy from the web-store, then you get both a Steam key and a stand alone version. Best of both worlds. :p One thing you can do, is use the Steam version as a secondary character generator - using beastmen\monster parts for it, and keep the stand alone generator for human parts. Two unique character generators with their own folders.

Last edited:

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah, if you get it from the website, you get an installer that is totally separate from Steam, which can be nice, as well as being able to activate it on Steam. However, I think sales happen on Steam more often, so you might be able to get it from there cheaper.

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
General Discussion is for discussing broad principles of game making, not the engine used for game making.

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Welle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
General Discussion is for discussing broad principles of game making[move]RPGMaker MV[/move]
Sorry to disagree.
But knwoing the Pros and Cons of your gameengine; And which foldermanagement, programm extras / features you get / have and / or etc..., is kind of very important AND part of the principles of game making.

And I thought with this topic is great for a general discussion.

^Even when this sound mean or so. I don't mean it in any bad or negative way.
I'm just not good with words; and have spmetimes proplems with english gramma.

Welle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
...but it also has a feature to quickly access the DLC for MV, which the stand alone version doesn't have.
What do you mean with that exactly?

@The Stranger When I buy it from the website, can i install and use both versions at the same time?

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Welle It's just a button\option in the resource manager (inside the editor) which opens up the DLC folder for MV. It's nothing special, really; just spares you from needing to find your DLC\expansions in the Steam folder. Both versions also have an option to directly open your project folder from within the editor.

Yes, you can have both versions installed at the same time - I currently have both installed. Steam version installs in the standard Steam folder, and the stand alone version installs in its own folder in Program Files (x86).

Welle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@The Stranger Ah, thank you very much. That nearly answers all my questions I could think of.
Just one silly question reminds...
I think I am right, that when I download the Demo Version and buy it afterwards... I can upgrade without losing data or everything and get still both keys?

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Welle I think so, but I'm not 100% sure since I've never used the demo version. I don't see why you couldn't.

White Flare

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One problem I frequently had with the steam version is when I would do a lot of fancy keyboard work and hit shift, then tab(sometimes up to 2-3 seconds later) it would attempt to launch the steam overlay in whatever window I was working on.
Main suggestion for people using this on steam is disable the overlay by right clicking the installed application on your library page and unchecking "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game"

Welle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@White Flare Thanks for the Info!

You can change the key combination too.
If you have an gaming mouse or keyboard, then you can make a complicated combo , bind it to a button (like G12) and open it with a single, normaly not used, button.

White Flare

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Welle well in general the steam overlay is horrid for RMMV. Say your writing a show text event when your friend messages you, so you hit the hotkey and suddenly the steam overlay is only on the "Show Text" box. so its super small and unusable.

Have had it off almost since I started using RMMV but the overlay was really laggy a few months ago. Multiple seconds to register any clicks. Not sure if it has been fixed or not.

Welle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@White Flare I have a 34" 2k ultrawide main monitor and for "info, sozial, etc..." I have a second screen.
But not having the programm yet. I think i'll be fine... I use tab rearly anyway, maybe because i can see everything by just turning the head. I will make a Screenshot later if I'm right.

Working with this Monster Monitor is awesome so far. ^^
I will have to wait and see, if I will have problems with steam overlay.

Thanks again.

White Flare

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Welle Monitor size isn't the issue with steam overlay because RMMV has a fixed size for its sub-windows. The main time you will use tab is when creating a multiple choice menu as each choice is its own input field. You will also be shifting to capitalize the first letter of each option and that's when the main bulk of my accidental steam overlay calls came from.
Best of luck though with your future project/s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Trading has been halted on the TSX (Canadian stock market) because of "technical issues". Suspicious... I'm bracing myself for a sea of red tomorrow lol
The Loco-Motion song pre-dates the dance. Meaning the lyrics are kinda misleading. "Everybody's doing a brand new dance now"... No they weren't, you just used peer pressure to trick everyone into going along with it.
Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chungagunga