Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there. I've searched the forum and I noticed this topic has come up before but none of those threads really had proper answers. I do realise that when encrypting a game, the audio folder doesn't get protected together with the other resources, so I was wondering if there was a way to do so. I've bought some licenses for some of the music tracks that I'm planning to use in a game, and not protecting them would mean I am freely (and hence illegally) distributing them. I am pretty sure there must've been other people before me who needed to protect licensed stuff in their games. What do the commercial developers use for example? I don't mind paying a bit if the software that can solve this problem has a price tag on it. 

Just to point out also, I am aware there's this script in existence and it's a nice script and all, I've even used it for my short horror game, but for my current game it won't work because it causes a bit of a strange behaviour when playing music in-game. To be more specific - in a situation when you want a music track to play on the map and to keep playing through a battle screen (with this script active, it tends to cause the music to start over from the beginning upon entering battle, which tends to ruin the scene). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.   

Kurisu

game dev, pilot, cat lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
non-english
Primarily Uses
Last edited by a moderator:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Heya, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I know there are many ways of ripping music from the game, whether it's hacking the encrypted files or simply recording the music directly from the game, but at the very least it'd be nice to put some kind of protection on it to stop majority of people from getting it. I am not too bothered about people stealing music from my game. It's the legal side of things that bothers me. If I buy licenses for some songs and don't put any protection on them, it will be like I am distributing them for free and might get in trouble for it.  

Pugh95Bear

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know if this will help or not, but what about Briefcasing the files? Windows 7 (and probably a few other OS's) have the Briefcase which is pretty much a password protected zip folder. Put the audio files in it and use a good password generator on it. I hope that helps. Probably won't lol, but I can hope.

Kurisu

game dev, pilot, cat lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
non-english
Primarily Uses
How does that even work then? Will RPG Maker be able to read the files inside an encrypted folder? I think not.

Momo_Mccloud

Crusader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
C++ & HTML
Primarily Uses
That might alot so gamers will not interact or move things inside the game files...

Pugh95Bear

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How does that even work then? Will RPG Maker be able to read the files inside an encrypted folder? I think not.
When I said "I don't know if this will help or not," that is what I'm talking about. I don't know if RMVXAce will be able to read them once they're locked like that or not. I have only published one thing with this program and it was only a test, so I have not tested the briefcase idea. It would be good to know though. Please update us if you find out the verdict.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the replies. I've tried looking for the briefcasing option, but couldn't find it. I assume you mean putting it in a zipped folder? I've tried doing that (since zipped folders can be password protected), but RPG maker doesn't recognize when files are in it (unless perhaps something needs to be modified in the Script Editor? If someone knows, please do let me know). Hiding the folder though works and the music can still be played in the maker, but hiding the folder is not exactly a good way of protecting it at all. 

I am wondering if maybe something can be added or altered in the above mentioned script, because it is a good script and works fine, apart from that one issue that I mentioned. Maybe all it needs is just one lined to be changed.

If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to put them forward. If any commercial developers are reading this, maybe you can shed light on how you go on protecting soundtracks in your games. Thanks again. 

Pugh95Bear

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Right Click > New > Briefcase (Password Protected). It should be at the bottom of the list of new folder types you can make. It MIGHT work differently, but hey; at least you found out something. As you said though, hopefully there is just a one line fix in the script.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, found it. Though I couldn't find a way to put password on it. And also, RPG maker seemed to have trouble accessing the files in it. It gave an error message, something about removing the read-only contents. So I am guessing it probably wouldn't work with this method. Thanks either way though.  

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If any commercial developers are reading this, maybe you can shed light on how you go on protecting soundtracks in your games. Thanks again. 
I don't put myself into this category, but out of curiosity I opened the program files of several commercial games made by different developers and it was possible to open the audio files in all of them.  I am wondering, therefore, if your assumption that you would be at risk of being accused of illegally distributing these tracks is correct?  Would all these people put themselves at risk in this way if your assumption were correct?

I think it is possible that "distributing" the tracks in this context means something like making them available just as stand-alone tracks which other people can download.  You are not doing that, they are used within your game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for pointing that out, Ksjp17, though I wonder if anyone can confirm this, since I am not too knowledgeable about the intricacies of copyright laws. Maybe it's even different for different music artists. Did all those commercial developers actually use licensed music tracks?   

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just evented my first minigame, no plugins~ :kaojoy:
I feel still screenshots don't do my game justice. the characters don't move, but the filter over them does...
Wonder if this year, there be more MZ plugin than MV or that MZ is still small compare to whole MV collection
Zaj
Hey morning all! I got another quick question..I just switched to RMMZ from VX Ace..so I am wondering why default scripts(is that how u call it) of VXAce is available, but not in MZ's case? How do I figure out ahh I mean could you show me
Sometimes im the biggest fool alive... Ah well, ce la vie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuCaRoCa