PSA: Check if your game is being sold by this developer

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Archeia, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Mooshry

Mooshry Ariana Grande has consumed my very existence help. Veteran

First Language:
    Cow
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm glad my game isn't old! I don't gotta worry 'bout it!

2. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Maybe not just old... maybe also it will be less known to be targeted. o_O (This is so much my nightmares),

3. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was able to reach out for one of the original authors on Facebook and one of these stolen games was removed.:2k32:

Marsigne, Shaz, Rabosion and 2 others like this.
  4. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Marquise* and Shaz like this.
  5. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @Kupotepo Thanks on the behalf of every creators, to do this job for us. ^^

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Kupotepo likes this.
  6. CrowStorm

CrowStorm Check my résumé, your residence is residue Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm glad that we've stymied some of this plagiarist rear end in a top hat's rampant piracy (THAT'S NOT HOW PIRACY IS SUPPOSED TO WORK GODDAMNIT, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO STEAL FROM HEARTLESS HUGE CORPORATIONS, NOT PASSIONATE INDIVIDUALS THAT PUT THEIR HEART AND SOUL INTO SOMETHING, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE REPACKAGING IT TO SELL AS YOUR OWN; THIS GUY MAKES ME EMBARRASSED TO BE A THIEF) but I wish we could shut him down more permanently. Anyone tracked down his contact information? It might be good to cut the head off the serpent here, rather than playing catchup with the games he's shamelessly stealing.

E: Wait, does this site have a swearing filter? Even for Bart Simpson level PG swears, like
    'a s s hole'? (I swear I'm not circumventing the swear filter for the sake of circumventing the swear filter, I just needed that word for what I was saying to make any sense, which "rear end in a top hat" wouldn't at all in this context).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Corlagon and Marquise* like this.
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @CrowStorm Yes, the forum does have a swearing filter.

Marquise* and Amane Kagari like this.
  8. RishigangiX

RishigangiX Professional Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm ready to file lawsuits just for the sake of it if he ever tries to copy one of my games.

This is another example of how Steam Direct turned the indie scene from bad to worse. And if that wasn't bad enough, Steam is yet to ban the developer. I had completely lost hope in their management when they introduced Direct. At this point all we can do is laugh.
    Steam is the perfect example of "making money doesn't necessarily mean you're successful."

Marsigne and Marquise* like this.
  9. Storyteller-Hero

Storyteller-Hero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I see that Garnudo Games is still on Steam. If you want to notify the FBI, they might shut the person down, or force Steam to take larger action. They've dealt with game piracy before. https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/news/stories/2007/february/iptheft020107

From U.S. Copyright Office:

Where Can I Get Help?
    You may wish to seek professional legal advice from a copyright attorney and to discuss your legal options. The Copyright Office is unable to provide referrals or a list of attorneys. Your local or state bar association may be able to recommend a copyright attorney, or an attorney who specializes in intellectual property, arts, or entertainment law matters. Alternatively, you may wish to investigate whether a public interest organization that offers services to authors and copyright owners, such as Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, has a regional office in your area that may assist you with locating free or reduced fee legal services or assistance. In addition, local law schools may provide representation through clinical programs in Intellectual Property or Arts and Entertainment Law.

If you believe that a criminal infringement of copyright has occurred, you may contact the Intellectual Property (IP) Program of the Financial Institution Fraud Unit of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Two main FBI divisions investigate intellectual property crimes:

1. Cyber Division
      -investigates intellectual property crimes involving all digital and electronic works (including Internet, CDs, DVDs, etc) www.fbi.gov/ipr
    2. Financial Institution Fraud Unit
      -all other intellectual property crimes
    There are three ways a complaint made be filed:

• Complainants may contact their local FBI field office, and the complaint will be properly referred.
    • A complaint may be filed online at the Internet Crime Complaint Center www.ic3.govand, again, it will be properly routed.
    • Suspected criminal activity of any nature may be reported online athttps://tips.fbi.gov and will be routed accordingly.
    The Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section (CCIPS) of the Criminal Division of the United States Department of Justice is the federal entity that prosecutes intellectual property crimes. Parts III and VI of the Department of Justice primer provide further information on the prima facie elements of criminal copyright violations, both misdemeanor and felony, and the factors considered in determining when to charge. However, all criminal complaints should be directed only to the FBI.

Further, there are industry-specific organizations that monitor and prosecute copyright violations. Lists of copyright industry organizations and authors organizations are readily available on numerous sites on the Internet.

Finally, online service providers must comply with certain conditions if they wish to take advantage of certain limitations of liability when a user publishes infringing content on their systems. One of these obligations is the designation of an agent for notification of claimed infringement. To qualify for certain limitations on liability, online service providers must, among other things, provide contact information to the Copyright Office and through the service provider's publicly accessible website on “designated agents” who will receive notices of alleged infringement. The Copyright Office website includes a directory of agents for notification that lists “designated agents” for online service providers recorded with the Copyright Office. For general information on this provision of the law, see section 512. Also, see a summary of this provision of the law.

DeviTheHuman and Marquise* like this.
  10. JaeJaeCee

JaeJaeCee Emerald Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Geez... Reading through this, it makes me almost afraid of what I will face if I do eventually finish a game and wish to release it...
    Now I know not to even try to release on Steam, at least.
    edit: However, I am probably months, or even years, away from releasing Iliza.

Marsigne likes this.
  11. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One way to combat this is putting your game on Steam which I am in progress of doing so.

But, my word, Steam has been extremely strict on what goes in game description.

Marsigne likes this.
  12. JaeJaeCee

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, but if I have to pay Steam $100 for every single game...?... Yikes.

Marsigne and Marquise* like this.
  13. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    While I do agree that it's a fairly high price to pay especially for an indie dev like myself, I do feel 100 bucks in the grand scheme is cheap considering I generally spend 2 years to make a game.

I want to protect my works.

Marsigne likes this.
  14. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Except this guy didn't get those games on Steam, he got them elsewhere (probably some RM community website) and put them on Steam.

Amane Kagari and Marquise* like this.
  15. JaeJaeCee

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh...

16. Amane Kagari

Amane Kagari The Unimpressive Hero MC That's (Not) Ever Known Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @JaeJaeCee Pirating is not a "steam only" issue. This is why companies and makers both big and small are ramping up efforts to stop pirating even going as far as forcing full control/surveillance on their products via either some sort of third-party or self-made firmwares or hidden codes. However, the issue of piracy will never be stopped even if you stop using certain services as long as people find ways around the "system" and swindle people. There will always be people who are a step ahead of justice. This is why catching pirates are such a pain in the rear end. It's always been and always will be this way in an evolving world. All we can do as consumers and/or fellow makers are to point out the pirates and hopefully justice will befall them whoever and where ever they may be.

Exercise vigilance comrades! (Keep flagging and ramping up the complaints to the stores!)
    #TeamJustice

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Marquise* likes this.
  17. OmnislashXX

OmnislashXX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would like to see this dude placed in handcuffs. Or given one of those Sci-fi bracelets that basically short out any electronics he goes near. But ah, well. Just be vigilant over your own games so that someone doesn't take advantage of you. You should always be approachable so the good people can always give you the heads up.

18. Elliott404

Elliott404 RookieGameDev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've heard about this guy from other source outside of forum, which it's one of the reason why I've started the thread about protecting your game (at least the assets) out of fear lol. I am more shocked that not only he's still on the loose, but the stolen games grew more than the last time I've checked, and how come not any person from steam reviews realized that all of his releases are stolen yet? It's a shame that I can't go to this guy's profile page to report him.

The fact that all of his stolen games are not even from steam is more concerning, this means that unless your game is quite known in decent level, it is more than likely that your game will be in his hungry list by then.

Marquise* likes this.
  19. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I guess it helps if the games are not on Steam as it would then be easy from there to compare and find game submissions. Still, I think it is possible to flag him for each game found from original dev page/link by posting also the address of the original as proof with the complaint.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Elliott404 likes this.
  20. Elliott404

Elliott404 RookieGameDev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Marquise* True, I guess that's the relief part?

Another thing that got my attention was 3 out games I've checked, the reviews complained that the game(s) were incomplete, and had some assets missing (like the door graphic). My guess is that most of the games were demos and free of charge (which it's even more concerning), and not completed by the real developers; they could've still being in process of developing.

And the publishing gap between each game he "released" don't add up. 16 different games in the same day? That's quite suspicious considering that the engines are different.

Marquise* likes this.