PSA: Check if your game is being sold by this developer

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Archeia, Oct 23, 2018.

1. JaeJaeCee

JaeJaeCee Emerald Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hiw has this shmuck not been caught yet? Its been four months...!

Amane Kagari and Marquise* like this.
  2. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Unfortunately, Steam doesn't do anything unless the original developer themselves report it or people mass-report it.
    Case in point, I reported all the games to Steam and linked to the original ones, but they've yet to remove most of them.
    So I also posted a thread in the discussions forum of the games letting potential buyers know these are stolen games.

3. Amane Kagari

Amane Kagari The Unimpressive Hero MC That's (Not) Ever Known Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh right speaking of rips..... There's been Chinese rippers on Steam too. They think that if they made things in Chinese, nobody would notice. But I believe I've seen a few familiar ones (from mainly outside this community) that I am aware of. (Sorry I hadn't gotten a chance to screen them. Usually I pass by these items and put them on my ignore list.) Just a little heads up to look at stuff that aren't in English too. They also try to pass it as free items from time to time (even as "workshop items"). I know that Chinese also makes platformers and RM games too but I can tell if one's legit or not by looking at descriptions (rips usually have really horrid vague descriptions often in English to throw people off until you DL the game and found out that something's fishy even though it's all in Chinese...). (I can read very little Chinese even though I'm Chinese. But I can tell by patterns of their scammy English and the obvious (stolen) graphics of the game.) I don't remember which games are rips but I'll be on the look out for any Chinese rippers (if they rip any games made by community members here) I've see and try to screenshot and post them here if needed. So far I don't see any games made by this community being ripped yet but I've seen a few outside of this community being ripped by those Chinese rippers. Again, this is just another heads up.

Marsigne and Marquise* like this.
  4. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    *facepalms*

I am not a violent person but I got a little voice in me chanting "Burn~! Burn~!" and my Christian side tries to calm me down as it is a sin to have that in the back of our mind.

16 a day. Even not playing them huh? Self-entitled @$$h*l3... uh sorry! Grrrr

@slimmmeiske2 thanks for ever being vigilant
    @Amane Kagari How can I NOT sound racist when right now China's greatest reputation is in its piracy and knock-off?

Are no copycat realizing that they get any progress down the drain? Oh true, just a cheap way to make money leashing and freeloading on others. How do I stop being paranoid putting anything on the internet now? I must be in a bad mood I still get that lil "burn, burn" chant in my head. (the only way to get me SJWing I guess)

Hey... WAIT! Is there a way to get all devs getting a common legal injunction on this guy? I mean... Steam might realize something by that 16 games a day and faulty QC and unfinished games and game disparities... no?? (What have you become Steam?)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  5. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    He added 4 new games this month... Steam should really stop it !
    I'm reporting it too. @slimmmeiske2 do you still have the links to the original games ?
    I wish I couls put negatives reviews to warne the buyers too.

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    What this is still going on!!!!??? I wonder what steam is doing, if they're even doing anything..

Marsigne and Marquise* like this.
  7. Elliott404

Elliott404 NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, while I've reported the stolen RPG Games, 2-3 of them were taken down hopefully? The links were broken so I assumed that they got taken down.

Marquise* and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  8. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @TWings Someone shared them here.
    Yeah, I believe those were taken down, because the copyright holders reported them.

Marquise* likes this.
  9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is a legal problem here
    ONLY the original creator can initiate a copyright-based claim and takedown.
    If someone else reports a game as stolen, then steam cannot take it down unless they get overwhelming specific evidence.

There are a lot of reasons for this, including to prevent cases of false reports done by people to hamper another developer and the fact that publishers often have contracts with independent developers and steam can't check every case of a game published by someone not the original creator to determine if there is a contract between publisher and creator.

And unfortunately if someone left a half-finished game and then abandoned the community, there is almost no way to contact that creator to have him do the required paperwork to take down his game.

Marsigne, atoms, Marquise* and 2 others like this.
  10. TWings

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Either way after so many verified violations, I'm surprised this account is still up and able to add more stolen games...
    It sends a terrible message to everyone : You can make money from free games that aren't yours, get away with it and continue to do so as long as you want.
    I wish Steam would take some kind of measures to prevent that.

11. Elliott404

Elliott404 NotRookieGamedev. NotAdvancedEither. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't find this a problem, at least not for the real dev themselves. That thief did not even bother to check if the game is in completion or under development, so if someone actually liked the game, and question whether it's going to be completed or not, it's going to be on him(thief).

And if someone is observant enough, they will know whether the game is stolen or not if they checked on the release date at least at 25/Oct.

I'm sorry if I sounded insensitive.

12. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Yes but I mean this seller has been doing this for a while now with a number of the games already been reported and taken down (which means people have been able to provide solid proof for those games), so at least they should have been monitoring this seller or something, right?

atoms, Sauteed_Onion and TWings like this.
  13. TWings

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    About the 4 games he released this month, I couldn't find the 3 others, but I found this one and mailed the developper to warn him (he replied to me he would be contacting Steam, so hopefully it will be taken out quickly) :

original product : https://demenci.itch.io/middle-ages-hero

atoms, slimmmeiske2 and Amane Kagari like this.
  14. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok, I really think this guy should have all these games he didn't make removed and a warning, and if he continues to upload other developer games, after the warning to be banned on steam because this is really bad.

Is there really nothing more we can do but find the actual developers of the game and show them what happened here?

I think there is more than enough evidence this guy has stolen lots of games, because many of them are on rpgmaker.net, under different usernames, so either he created multiple accounts or he's a fraud. It's obvious, can't Steam take that as evidence and give this guy a warning or a banned or something? I don't understand....

We also all know he stole these games, so since we're aware of it can't Steam be shown this in a way they can accept it, with or without each developer contacting them?

I mean it's getting ridiculous what this guy keeps on doing.

15. Cryptic

Cryptic "professional" game dev and musician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Still can't believe people are falling for their games and they're still making money off of other people's own games. My advice to developers is that putting something at the start of the game stating the game is by YOU. Then people will realise that if you game is sold by someone else that the game is yours, not the seller's/ sellers'.

atoms and Marquise* like this.
  16. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    You know... This might works with lazy pirates.

Although, I might make a scene before the title like in some movies, so it don't get removed first if it is the very fist thing to change in-game.

atoms and Cryptic like this.
  17. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was able to contact yet another developer via social media and another game was removed. :2k32:

18. Cryptic

Cryptic "professional" game dev and musician Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    our hero!

atoms and Tuomo L like this.
  19. goldenhawk

goldenhawk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know it’s awful, but hey I know of someone worst on Facebook he has duplicates of his Facebook accounts going by several names, his main name is Jeremiah Podgey Pig and he will scam you out of your company and lie about purchasing your game and say he is a lawyer and will compromise with you handing over your company to him.

Cryptic and Marquise* like this.
  20. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I guess that needs a verification.