Renzel

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6e51d73fxjewpl/Psychosis.exe?dl=0

WARNING: This is a psychological horror game and, while the current demo is quite tame, will eventually contain scenes that some may find disturbing.

Game Synopsis

Psychosis is a psychological horror game that is a mix between a visual novel and an adventure game. During the day you will wander a mansion and interact with the residents but once night falls you find yourself

in a twisted world being hunted by a supernatural entity.

The plot follows the heir of a weapons manufacturing company who finds himself stranded in the middle of a forest. While searching for help he comes upon a strange mansion with even stranger inhabitants.

Seeing a chance to make a hefty profit for his company the man decides to ingratiate himself with the mansion's owner. Little does he know that there are dark secrets within the building that he is unwittingly drawing

closer to and they don't like to be disturbed...

Gameplay

Pick up and use items like an adventure game to solve puzzles and complete tasks.

Interact and improve your relationship with the residents during the day. This will affect future days greatly and completely change the course of the story.

Try to survive at night and fend off whatever is hunting you.

Discover the secret of the mysterious mansion...

Credits

This game uses Yanfly's scripts and free music from freepd.com. Character resources were created by myself using the http://www.geocities.jp/kurororo4/looseleaf/ character generator as a

template. CGs were created using the program "3D Custom Girl" and editing in Photoshop.

Please leave me any feedback that you feel could help me to improve!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyuukon

主人公
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hahaha! I loved it! Horror+Fan service <3 xD!

You did a pretty good job with those 3D portraits and CGs. Maybe you could improve the mapping a little bit.

The 'battles' were somewhat hard but once you get the pattern it becomes easy (luckily it doesn't prompt you Game Over).

Keep up the good work! I really enjoyed it :3! Any estimative date for the full version?

Nesse <3

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Beginning felt like an eroge. Not saying that's nesscarily a bad thing.

First chase thing is really annoying. You can't see anything, and that makes the obstacles hard to avoid.

I've played it about 30 times yet haven't beaten it yet.

And the girl running through walls is bs.

EDIT 2: wtf, why can she warp right in front of me?

EDIT 3: After fifty tries at the second chase I gave up. This game's difficulty lies in annoying traps that are littered everywhere making the game slow and irritating. I like the daytime, but find no horror in the nighttime other than the fact it will take me hours to complete. It will need a less difficult nighttime phase for me to try again. The lights are too dim, and there are too many slowdown traps for those sections to be enjoyable.

In short: Daytime = interesting, nighttime = irritating.

Renzel

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
After fifty tries at the second chase I gave up. This game's difficulty lies in annoying traps that are littered everywhere making the game slow and irritating. I like the daytime, but find no horror in the nighttime other than the fact it will take me hours to complete. It will need a less difficult nighttime phase for me to try again. The lights are too dim, and there are too many slowdown traps for those sections to be enjoyable.

In short: Daytime = interesting, nighttime = irritating.
I'm sorry but I don't understand. You should have the lantern by that point giving you three chances to escape being caught. I'll wait for some more feedback on this before making these sections easier as none of my other testers have told me that the chase sequences are too difficult.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I did indeed have the lantern, but that in itself has many broken features: 

You can use it when you 'die', (I pressed 'D' right before trying again and it was immediately used when it started, leaving me with two)

Upon using it, the monster appears to come from a set loaction depending on where you used it. Several times I've died because it warped right in front of me at the third spawn point. 

I will try it again now, and see if it has gotten any easier. I'm not a bad gamer, so I'm certain it isn't just me "being bad".

EDIT 1: I also get stuck in those traps when it's light(ish) (with the lantern I have to quint and tilt my screen to see), and the lantern barely illuminates, so it's hard to see in front of the player. The lantern rapid fires, so using it more that once happens ALL the time.ete

EDIT 2: I just did a run where I DIDN'T waste my lanterns by accident, but I lost in the end due to the fact that after firing her three times, I was encapsulated in complete darkness, and she spawned in front of me...

EDIT 3: I won't make anymore updates unless I beat it, but she spawns in front of me so close that she kills me before the lantern charge activates (thanks to it's slow fire animation). This slow fire animation is also the reason I rapid fire. I doesn't appear for a second, which makes me feel like it didn't work, so I press again. This cause it to fire quick in repitition. On round it appeared to store the charges I pressed, which caused it to rapid fire twice at the beginning without me pressing anything. 

EDIT 4: I lied. I made another update. I made it to the door and she spawn right in front of it. That's some grade A bs. Seriously, she shouldn't be able to spawn in front of the exit. It's the only way out, and he's too fast to avoid (especially when you've used all your lanterns after getting stuck in traps that should be avoidable if not for the petty light and awkward size of tiles. It's easy to mistake where something is.

I escaped. It took forever. But I did it. Hopefully I can say some more good things about the game now.

EDIT 5: The projectiles are less annoying in the first stage, but in the second stage if you stop, you die. I beat it second try, so it's not a huge thing. But the projectiles in the second stage do warp in front of you and follow you.

EDIT 6: I like the slow chase sequence much more, it seems doable. What doesn't seem doable is banishing the monster without also getting hit by a projectile. Which both happened. Losing 2 charges at once is a pain, just for getting stuck once.

EDIT 7: The projectiles come right in front of you, becoming unavoidable. It's hard enough avoiding them when you have light, but you can't see them in the dark, so you die.

EDIT 8: Well, I figured out why using charges are so annoying. You stop when you use them. Fullstop. Why don't charges also banish projectiles around you?

EDIT 9: THE DOOR ANIMATION IS OVERRIDDEN BY THE GIRL KILLING ANIMATION. WHAT. I click on the door, out of charges, and the girl, a second later, touches me and it counts. Erg.

EDIT 10: Well, I'm out of the dark...and now I'm in a bright, fast-moving obstacle minigame boss. Oh, and I'm slow. Fun.

EDIT 11: Let me tell you what I like about the boss: There are predictable patterns. Now let me tell you what I don't like: The blue flame obstacle that seems unavoidable because it rapidly sends flames everywhere. The obstacle that requires you to know it's coming and stand still (which shounldn't exist since half he obstacles kill you for standing still). The flames that chase you slowly and pop up in front of you.

EDIT: What. The. Flip. What was that random instakill after I hit her twice? Was I supposed to hit her again? Was she close enough? I'm confused at how I died.

EDIT 13: I beat the demo. Here's the rundown: I thoroughly enjoyed the story elements, but the gameplay left me irritated. There was a lot of chance and memorization required to beat every section. In the boss, I was killed countless times for standing where a flame was. A good idea would be to have the flames materialize OUTSIDE of the walking area, or give the player a warning that they are about to appear (like making the flames flash when they appear, not harming you for a second).
I will gladly play more once it is released, but the night sequence really grinded my gears, so I might only make it past Day 2.

Renzel

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for the feedback and not just giving up. I'll take what you've said into consideration and make some changes. When the enemy reappears after being banished by the lantern it can randomly be in any of the four cardinal directions. I'll change this to have her always appear behind you. I'll also make the night sections a little brighter too.

Later nights have different mechanics so you don't need to worry about it being the same but more difficult. Thanks again for the feedback, this is the kind of information I need to make the game a more enjoyable experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it
So I need to come up with quite a few action sequences.
Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitoBooni