Puella Magi Elaine Magica -Recruuitment- (A fan-game of the Madoka Magica series)

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Back in 2011, I started working on an RPG fan-game based on the "Puella Magi Madoka Magica series". Originally this was being made on RPG Maker VX, but as of this year (with a temporarily loss of motivation in between 2012 to now) has been rebooted to RPG Maker VX Ace. The game is progressing well so far, but I still need lots of help.

As this is a fan-made game, it has elements from the original anime series. So if your not familiar, I'd recommend doing a quick research on the original anime. (While not required, watching it can help as it is only 12 episodes long, but I recommend bringing a tissue box if your going in blind) As for the story of this game, it is set after the events of the anime and is my own interpretation of a follow up story. (This story was made before the "Rebellion" movie was made, so this fan-game is it's own story and won't be connected to "Rebellion") It follows story of Elaine Cruxis, (or Elly for short) a young 13 year old girl who moved to Japan with her aunt and uncle due to her uncle's job. While Elly does adjust living in Japan, she has a hard time making friends as she comes off as very off putting. It is after she is saved from creatures called Wraiths by a trio of Magical Girls and learns about what a Magical is and does that she makes a contract with Kyubey and becomes one herself, though she isn't very good at it at first. In addition to this, Elly tries to befriend the new student of her classroom, Riko Miyamoto, but fails but is confused when Riko asks her and the other Magical Girls what they are fighting for. When the source of the Wraiths is revealed to be creatures that hid in the shadows, demons, the girls go for one of the source that just appeared and search for the lead demon. It is there that they encounter a demon named Katsuo Watanabe, who has slain the demon. Despite Katsuo's claims to not be the girl's enemy, they don't trust his words, except for Elly who questions who he is. Who is Katsuo? What is is true goals? And why was Riko questioning Elly and the others? What Elly doesn't know is these two encounters will set her down the road that will change her life forever.

As for the help I am seeking, I need:

artists to help draw some of the art (this includes character designs, facesets, character busts, cut-scene art and such)

pixel artists to help make some of the sprites (mainly Holder battlers) as well as other stuff (like tilesets, skill animations and icons for example)

animator to work with the artist and created animated video cut-scenes for me to add in

music/sound maker to make music and sound for the game.

For those working with the project, I do expect to tell me valid reasons if you need to drop out or if you want to take a break. I am understanding and fully willing to take as long as it takes to make this game, but I will not tolerate on purpose laziness or procrastination. IRL stuff does come first and things happen, I understand that, but don't be lazy for the sake of being lazy is what I am saying. I also expect everyone to respect on another and work together as a team, I've made a QuickTopic form for everyone who will help me to discuss the project, so if you want in, tell me here or in PMs and I'll give you the link in PMs. (Once again, I'm not requiring you to know the anime this fan-game is based from. But I do recommend it as it will help and it is a good anime. Just again if you do decided to watch it, I highly ask you to bring a tissue box because you will need it for this 12 episode anime. I've had friends cry during this anime)

Bellow are five screenshots of the game. Credit goes to everyone who helped make the sprites, scripts, battle-backs and such I'm using so far. The gameplay focuses on decision making as some of the big choices will determine how the game ends, randomly generated dungeons with enemies wandering around and an ATB battle system with enemies that grow stronger as you do. (In other-words,  an Enemy Level script) So if you want to help assist me in finishing this game, please do tell me here or in PMs and I'll give you the link to where the discussion for the project will be. Best I can offer in exchange for help if you'd want to trade though is offering to be a test player for your game (as I am a big RPG fan) and/or giving a sort of extended version of the demo whenever I reach the point that I can give out a demo. (Though I will have a bit of rules for the extended demo, but that's for later)

Thanks

Gameplay Screenshot 1.png

Gameplay Screenshot 2.png

Gameplay Screenshot 3.png

Gameplay Screenshot 4.png

Gameplay Screenshot 5.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Dickjutsu

Experienced Writer For Hire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You might get a little more recruitment action going if you made it a little easier to see what you were looking for. What do you need aid with? Art, music, writing, sprites, etc.?

Separate out what you need from the rest of the spiel so people can skim a bit and see if you're looking for what they're offering. Then they can read through the rest of it and see if they're interested in helping out. :)

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You might get a little more recruitment action going if you made it a little easier to see what you were looking for. What do you need aid with? Art, music, writing, sprites, etc.?

Separate out what you need from the rest of the spiel so people can skim a bit and see if you're looking for what they're offering. Then they can read through the rest of it and see if they're interested in helping out. :)
Oh, thanks. Though I'll also post it in this post of what I need since it is the same thing as a help request I made on my DA. (Minus the voice acting part of there)

Artist:

As it says, you'll be drawing the character art. Sometimes not just how they are designed, but piece that will be used in the game such as faces used for in text messages and the main menu, cut-scene art and character busts that you usually see in visual novel styled cut-scenes. You may also help with some of the enemy artwork as well as artwork for the credits and title menu, and possibly artwork for items.

Sprite Maker:

As it implies, you'll be working on some of the sprites of the game. They can be character sprites, enemy sprites, tilesets for maps, animations for skills and/or icon images for items. Take note for character and enemies this game runs on a side battle view system, I'll be sure to show an example of the sprites used in this system.

Music/Sound Maker:

I am using a few sources for this, but I wouldn't mind a few additional people to make sounds and music for this game. This includes the music track that will be used in the game's intro.

Animator:

This game will feature a few animated cut-scenes, an animated intro, and possibly a few animated skills. This one is a bit harder in my opinion as it requires both art and animating skills. You'll most likely be working along side with the artists on this one since they'll be helping in the design of the characters.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm (very) interested in helping with your game. I could do the art as well as the animation (even though I'm just a beginner if it comes to animation)
I'd love to join you, since PMMM is one of my favorite animes and I had planned on making a fangame myself, although that will take a while before I actually start it.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm (very) interested in helping with your game. I could do the art as well as the animation (even though I'm just a beginner if it comes to animation)

I'd love to join you, since PMMM is one of my favorite animes and I had planned on making a fangame myself, although that will take a while before I actually start it.
Awesome, I'll put you on consideration for animation. (though I need to wait for art for that of course) As for artist, I do have one working on the characters, but as I won't mind more as I feel there is a good chunk of things art-wise, would you mind doing the art for say some of the minor bosses or weapons? Thinking of having an artist for four different categories (characters, enemies, minor bosses, weapons) and I have artists for the first two. (As in characters and enemies)

EDIT: I just remembered there is other art stuff like cut-scene clips and possibly unless someone else takes it, making the face portraits and the visual novel figures.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unfortunately, monsters and weapons are the things I'm actually bad at XD I mean, I could try, but I doubt it would be good enough.

Anyway, making the portraits and cutscenes would be great^^

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately, monsters and weapons are the things I'm actually bad at XD I mean, I could try, but I doubt it would be good enough.

Anyway, making the portraits and cutscenes would be great^^
I wouldn't mind seeing some face portraits, though I'd like to see a sample first if you don't mind. You can use either Homura, Mami, Kyoko or Sayaka (start with one of those four for now) for the sample one (start with them in school uniform for now I'd say) and do a emotion face set similar to what's on Kakurezato the back of the forest's site. Obviously not the same art style, but multiple different emotions like the example in the link. I'd just like to see an example first, sorry if late as I've been busy with college and working on what I can for the RPG as well.

Also, just a note in advance on this page. From tomorrow to Sunday I'll be busy at a convention. So I'll try to check responses but don't expect reply

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump

Will show some minor sort of updates to the game later this month.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I love the Puella Magi series so much, and I love your idea here! I would like to help out how ever I can on this project, as it sounds like it will be amazing. :D I can help with art and animation. I'm a newbie at pixel art, but I can help out with that as well if you still need pixel artists. (You can check out some of my art and animations on DA here: http://twitchinghades.deviantart.com/ I could also match the art style of the series without much difficulty).

PM me if you'd like my help. :)

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I love the Puella Magi series so much, and I love your idea here! I would like to help out how ever I can on this project, as it sounds like it will be amazing. :D I can help with art and animation. I'm a newbie at pixel art, but I can help out with that as well if you still need pixel artists. (You can check out some of my art and animations on DA here: http://twitchinghades.deviantart.com/ I could also match the art style of the series without much difficulty).

PM me if you'd like my help. :)
Saw some of your animations on DA and they looked rather interesting, I'd like to start you off with an opening animation but we're not entirely ready for it yet as there are a few things we're missing for it. I'll contact you in PMs later today with a different idea for a sample since you mentioned you can match the art-style of the series if that is OK.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Promised a few minor updates but ended up posting them in August. First off, upgrade the main menu a bit and added some facesets thanks to BlackRoseMii. (ignore the names in the classes, its a note for me to know which one is for which girl. They'll be removed in the demo and final version) Next, the battle system has remained un-changed except that I've added a fifth party member. Sorry if the battle layout looks weird, it's all I knew of what to do in order to show all fives HP without removing the key scripts. Lastly, while the background image is planned to be changed when I get an artist who can help with that and the text may change, I've started working on some of the visual novel styled cut-scenes of the game. These are similar to what you'd see in games like Disgaea and BlazBlue and will mainly be for choice parts and sometimes scenes before a big boss fight. (At least that is what I am planning)

Recruitment is still open and I'll give more updates when I made slightly bigger progress. Wanted to start out show these minor updates for now. The help I am looking for is listed above in a previous post, but I'll post it here again just in-case.

Artist:
As it says, you'll be drawing the character art. Sometimes not just how they are designed, but piece that will be used in the game such as faces used for in text messages and the main menu, cut-scene art and character busts that you usually see in visual novel styled cut-scenes. You may also help with some of the enemy artwork as well as artwork for the credits and title menu, and possibly artwork for items. Also adding battlebacks and background pictures for the visual novel cut-scenes into this as well.

Sprite Maker:
As it implies, you'll be working on some of the sprites of the game. They can be character sprites, enemy sprites, tilesets for maps, animations for skills and/or icon images for items. Take note for character and enemies this game runs on a side battle view system, I'll be sure to show an example of the sprites used in this system.

Music/Sound Maker:
I am using a few sources for this, but I wouldn't mind a few additional people to make sounds and music for this game. This includes the music track that will be used in the game's intro.

Animator:
This game will feature a few animated cut-scenes, an animated intro, and possibly a few animated skills. This one is a bit harder in my opinion as it requires both art and animating skills. You'll most likely be working along side with the artists on this one since they'll be helping in the design of the characters.

​In addition to these, I'd welcome the help of someone who is good at editing scripts to help me out with two of Galv's scripts. Mainly his Music Player script (looking for a way to make the music stop playing when you close out of the main menu and return to the map's music and possibly a way to make music unlock through script command if possible) and his Invaders script (looking for a way to shut off the game closing by pressing the X button, so only Esc closes the Mini-game)

That's it for now.

AndySnap_017.png

AndySnap_019.png

AndySnap_020.png

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will give a more proper update sometime after the 21st, will be at a convention by this coming Thursday and wanted to get at least a small progress update. So far, I added Neo Ultimate Gauges Ace to give the HP, MP and TP bar a nicer look. However as you can see, the ATB and bars for each of the other stats aren't as fancy. Same goes for the Stanima bar from Yami's Dash Stamina. (Which I didn't include) If anyone knows how to edit the Neo Ultimate Gauge script to have these fancy bars, I'd welcome it. Otherwise, there might not be much else I can do as I don't know a lot about Ruby coding at the moment and haven't found a chance to go back and continue learning it due to college.

Again, small update but will give an even bigger update sometime starting from the 22nd. Aside from that, I'm nearly done with the first chapter of the game. (The game is split into chapters) The demo will contain the first two chapters, so I'm nearing the point of a demo release. Can't make any promises for when the demo will be released, but I'll try for before 2016.

AndySnap_017.png

AndySnap_018.png

AndySnap_019.png

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump and notice

Can't make any promises, but a demo release could be coming by the end of this year if all things go well, both in making the game and college/job related stuff. Help is still welcome, as I would like to update map graphics and get some animated battler sprites for the game hopefully before the demo version. Otherwise, I'd just probably update it by the full version.

Because of the possibility I'd be releasing a demo version, I'll be showing more pics soon of some updates to the game. Sorry if I haven't as much, college has been keeping me busy as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly! Going to start with some Minecraft spriting, and might switch mid-stream. Depends~ Feel free to drop by!
MushroomCake28 wrote on Finnuval's profile.
Glad to see you're back! I was wondering what you've become! It's been a while since we spoke to each other!
zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?
Wish I could respond to @CraneSoft's latest profile post, but it does remind me. Anyone else out there who likes the Souls series not because of draconian git gud difficulty, but because of its melancholy atmosphere and various cool medieval equips?
I wish I had multiple displays!
one screen feels like using a small table, and the way i usually do things I have a lot of stuff open ...
So annoying !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brwnlee