Puella Magi Elaine Magica -Recruuitment- (A fan-game of the Madoka Magica series)

Tyranida

Narrative Copywriter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The project looks really fun :D Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the late notice, but the demo will be released in June. Sorry, college stress of finals got to me.

In brighter news, I DO have a trailer out now to show off the game.

Saneterre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I like the anime very much so I wish you the best of luck with your project. However, from the little I can see in your video, aren't your maps very simplistic ?

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the anime very much so I wish you the best of luck with your project. However, from the little I can see in your video, aren't your maps very simplistic ?

They're simple because I don't really have a tile set to mimic the world the series takes place in completely. That and wit the source material, its very vague where everything is located and how it looks to be honest. Heck I had to us a map fro th PSP game for the layout.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Few more weeks left before the demo is released, and it is almost done. Help is still welcome, look below for the info:

Scripter:

Don't let this title fool you, I need someone skilled in Ruby scripting to possibly fix or make a script fix for some things I've been running into for the key battle script. There is nothing about making actual scripts, 

Artist:
I have a two concept artists and someone working on the in-game art for characters & cut-scenes. I still need artists for battlebacks, background pictures for the visual novel cut-scenes.

Music/Sound Maker:
I am using a few sources for this and do have one composer, but I wouldn't mind a few additional people to make sounds and music for this game. (As some games do have multiple composers) This includes the music track that will be used in the game's intro.

Animator:
This game will feature a few animated cut-scenes, an animated intro, and possibly a few animated skills. This one is a bit harder in my opinion as it requires both art and animating skills. You'll most likely be working along side with the artists on this one since they'll be helping in the design of the characters.

Voice Acting:
You heard right, there will be voice acting in this. As this is a Chapter based game, the voice acting will be done in sessions. Look here for more info on this. If you don't have an account on that site and don't want to make one, your alternative for sending auditions is to upload via MediaFire/Mega/Google Drive and send via PMs.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
https://puellamagielainemagica.com

Demo is offcially up, go to the download page to download the current build of the demo. Any bugs will be fixed in future versions. There are a few script errors I am unable to fix without some help with Ruby coding as I can't figure out the source currently. Please look at the above post for more details on how you can help, thank you for your support. I'll be still here to answer questions and recieve feedback for the demo as I prepare to work on the full game in July.

Thanks for the current support so far. I will continue to work hard to see this game finished.

Saneterre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I tried your demo. I'll tell you my impressions. It can be harsh but I think it's important for you to hear them (there will be positive too) :

- The big one first : I was stuck when I returned home after the first choice. The game said that bgm "town 25b" (or something like that) was missing. You should really test your demos so that this kind of things doesn't happen.

- The graphics : it is really great to have cutscenes. Your cutscenes are well done and really add something to your game. I enjoyed them.

- However, I'm not a fan of your face's design. The eyes are really strange. I find the characters ugly because of that (eyes too large and not in the right position. They should be higher on the face). However, this is just my opinion. Maybe people will like this design. I really don't. But it's original, which is a plus, I guess.

- Your eventing is good. People move where they are supposed too, it's nice and well done.

- The beginning of the story is rather nice. I like the story and it is well told. I was however disappointed by the heroin's motivation. It seems trivial and I'm not sure I want to control a character who makes stupid choices. However, since the rest of the story seems interesting, this little problem may just be a first impression, and depending on how the character evolves, I may of course change my mind on her. Let's just say I really hope she will get more interesting than she seems to be right now.

- I don't understand why I am not allowed to dash all the time. I can understand it will be part of the gameplay during dungeons (I imagine) but when I walk in big, really big and long, corridors, it doesn't feel right. But maybe the problem are those big hallways...

Which brings me to the most important point : your mapping !

I'll be blunt : your mapping is extremely bad. Your interiors are extremely large and extremely empty. It's a huge problem.

I've shown VX Ace to my 8 years old boy and he does better maps than you do (and his maps are not good either...).

You must make your rooms smaller and you have to decorate all that. Put some furniture, some bookcases, and even some walls...

If you can't do better, you should add a mapper to your list. It's pointless to have nice-looking cutscenes and then to move in those horribly long and empty hallways, really.

In terms of gameplay, I can't tell you anything since I never came to the point where I could fight anything. The game crashed before that.

Your game does have strong points so you should work on improving what's bad (essentially the mapping) and people may enjoy playing it.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried your demo. I'll tell you my impressions. It can be harsh but I think it's important for you to hear them (there will be positive too) :

- The big one first : I was stuck when I returned home after the first choice. The game said that bgm "town 25b" (or something like that) was missing. You should really test your demos so that this kind of things doesn't happen.

- The graphics : it is really great to have cutscenes. Your cutscenes are well done and really add something to your game. I enjoyed them.

- However, I'm not a fan of your face's design. The eyes are really strange. I find the characters ugly because of that (eyes too large and not in the right position. They should be higher on the face). However, this is just my opinion. Maybe people will like this design. I really don't. But it's original, which is a plus, I guess.

- Your eventing is good. People move where they are supposed too, it's nice and well done.

- The beginning of the story is rather nice. I like the story and it is well told. I was however disappointed by the heroin's motivation. It seems trivial and I'm not sure I want to control a character who makes stupid choices. However, since the rest of the story seems interesting, this little problem may just be a first impression, and depending on how the character evolves, I may of course change my mind on her. Let's just say I really hope she will get more interesting than she seems to be right now.

- I don't understand why I am not allowed to dash all the time. I can understand it will be part of the gameplay during dungeons (I imagine) but when I walk in big, really big and long, corridors, it doesn't feel right. But maybe the problem are those big hallways...

Which brings me to the most important point : your mapping !

I'll be blunt : your mapping is extremely bad. Your interiors are extremely large and extremely empty. It's a huge problem.

I've shown VX Ace to my 8 years old boy and he does better maps than you do (and his maps are not good either...).

You must make your rooms smaller and you have to decorate all that. Put some furniture, some bookcases, and even some walls...

If you can't do better, you should add a mapper to your list. It's pointless to have nice-looking cutscenes and then to move in those horribly long and empty hallways, really.

In terms of gameplay, I can't tell you anything since I never came to the point where I could fight anything. The game crashed before that.

Your game does have strong points so you should work on improving what's bad (essentially the mapping) and people may enjoy playing it.

Thank you for your response. The crashing error has been fixed and a new version will be up soon, the game has been play tested, but there was a few things overlooked both by me and my test players as they didn't happen before. So I apologies for that.

In terms of the map, I will work on fixing it in the full game or second demo. My resources are a bit low so I had to deal with whatever I could work with at the time. In the terms of the dashing, I am not sure if the script allows infinite dashing. I will test it and add it in the next version. Take note as well this is my first big RPG and most RPGs I've seen like Mogeko Castle, Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea, Gray Garden, Ib, Witch's House and they had pretty big maps if I remember. Regardless, I will keep this in mind for the full game. (If you can name some examples of mapping, I'd welcome it.

Once again, thanks for the input.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Found the last of the events I skilled over, sorry about that. This new build should work.

Expect updates occasionally as stuff gets reported. As I changed things with new resources, I sometimes forgot about certain stuff that could lead to the game crashing. Again, sorry.

Saneterre

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
No problem for the crash, I know it happens. I'll re-download and continue playing your demo, since I want to see the gameplay.

For the mapping, don't be scared, you will get better (the lack of resources doesn't help).

As I said, the beginning of your story is good and makes the player want to know more, so it's a very good starting point.

About the resources, I imagine your game will not be commercial, since it's based on an official anime and you would have problem getting the rights to commercialize it.

But this means that you can have access to many resources that aren't allowed for commercial games.

Good luck with your project. This anime was very good, I hope your game will live up to it.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
About the resources, I imagine your game will not be commercial, since it's based on an official anime and you would have problem getting the rights to commercialize it.

But this means that you can have access to many resources that aren't allowed for commercial games.

Yes, I do not plan to commercialize this. It's a fan-made game and will remain that way.

To me, demos help promote the game more, build people's interest in it so more can jump in and help if they want.

The Dash hasn't been fixed yet, but that is due to my hands being a bit tied to do much testing in the past four days. As of today, they are a lot more open. So I will test that and next bug that I am able to fix, it will be updated if test results prove positive.

Thanks again.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Version 0.02 is up, with a lot more fixes, including ability to dash whenever outside of dungeons.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Break is over, I'll be resuming work on the game to head towards the full game. Been talking and no promises, but there might be a big update to the demo in the far future with a bit more chapters added (for those of you that have gotten to the only two out of 10 and want a bit more).

Please do report any bugs to me still on the demo and if you want to help, please do let me know. I need help in the following:

Artist:
I have a two concept artists and someone working on the in-game art for characters & cut-scenes. I still need artists for enemy artwork (who will work off the concept art) as well as artwork for battlebacks, background pictures for the visual novel cut-scenes. One more creature artist wouldn't hurt as well possibly.

Music/Sound Maker:
I am using a few sources for this and do have one composer, but I wouldn't mind a few additional people to make sounds and music for this game. (As some games do have multiple composers) This includes the music track that will be used in the game's intro.

Animator:
This game will feature a few animated cut-scenes, an animated intro, and possibly a few animated skills. This one is a bit harder in my opinion as it requires both art and animating skills. You'll most likely be working along side with the artists on this one since they'll be helping in the design of the characters.

Voice Acting:
You heard right, there will be voice acting in this. As this is a Chapter based game, the voice acting will be done in sessions. Look here for more info on this. If you don't have an account on that site and don't want to make one, your alternative for sending auditions is to upload via MediaFire/Mega/Google Drive and send via PMs.

Scripter:

This one is just to help make some script fixes/patches and to help with some of the features involving the Ruby scripts I am using. While I will be considering contacting the makers behind said scripts, if you have any Ruby knowledge, your help will be welcome since my knowledge is VERY limited.

The full game is currently TBD, as I got a LONG way to go. But my break is over and I am back folks to working on it.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Demo has had another update, think I finally found the missing file I was looking for.

If there are any other missing file errors, please provide screenshots of the error and anything before the error triggered.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another update happened, it is now at ver. 0.03 and the tutorial is updated.

https://puellamagielainemagica.com/

Also, for those interested, a little bonus contest:
http://bleachbummer.deviantart.com/journal/Draw-a-Magical-Girl-Contest-606297514

Please do report any bugs to me still on the demo and if you want to help, please do let me know. I need help in the following:

Artist:
I have a two concept artists and someone working on the in-game art for characters & cut-scenes. I still need artists for enemy artwork (who will work off the concept art) as well as artwork for battlebacks, background pictures for the visual novel cut-scenes. One more creature artist wouldn't hurt as well possibly.

Music/Sound Maker:

Animator:

Voice Acting:

Scripter:

This one is just to help make some script fixes/patches and to help with some of the features involving the Ruby scripts I am using. While I will be considering contacting the makers behind said scripts, if you have any Ruby knowledge, your help will be welcome since my knowledge is VERY limited.

The full game is currently TBD, as I got a LONG way to go. But my break is over and I am back folks to working on it.

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bump

(EDIT: Going to try and release a new version around September. New version will so far include: Typo fixes, New Battle Hud, and a Quick Travel Key Item. The latter two I thank Spaztique for the recommendations)

BleachBummer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
New version is out, check change log in the download page of the site to see the changes.

https://puellamagielainemagica.com/

(I am aware the site is more out of date compared to the demo, I'll fix that later)

(EDIT: I made a derp, it will be fixed soon. But for now download link has been removed)

(EDIT: Fixed)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another unscheduled stream for Lightestone~ this time because we hit affiliate! Aaaahh- So other than the game we're also going to work on emotes/badges/etc!

www.twitch.tv/riazey
Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant
JRPG TextBox HTML - Part 2:
So I'm resuming work on the Shadowstar Trilogy. I've decided that it will take place between the end of G4 and the start of G5, and two of the Lost Rulers will be Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer (who is the moon princess in my AU).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lark_Larkington