- Mar 9, 2015
- Reaction score
- First Language
- Primarily Uses
I like the anime very much so I wish you the best of luck with your project. However, from the little I can see in your video, aren't your maps very simplistic ?
I tried your demo. I'll tell you my impressions. It can be harsh but I think it's important for you to hear them (there will be positive too) :
- The big one first : I was stuck when I returned home after the first choice. The game said that bgm "town 25b" (or something like that) was missing. You should really test your demos so that this kind of things doesn't happen.
- The graphics : it is really great to have cutscenes. Your cutscenes are well done and really add something to your game. I enjoyed them.
- However, I'm not a fan of your face's design. The eyes are really strange. I find the characters ugly because of that (eyes too large and not in the right position. They should be higher on the face). However, this is just my opinion. Maybe people will like this design. I really don't. But it's original, which is a plus, I guess.
- Your eventing is good. People move where they are supposed too, it's nice and well done.
- The beginning of the story is rather nice. I like the story and it is well told. I was however disappointed by the heroin's motivation. It seems trivial and I'm not sure I want to control a character who makes stupid choices. However, since the rest of the story seems interesting, this little problem may just be a first impression, and depending on how the character evolves, I may of course change my mind on her. Let's just say I really hope she will get more interesting than she seems to be right now.
- I don't understand why I am not allowed to dash all the time. I can understand it will be part of the gameplay during dungeons (I imagine) but when I walk in big, really big and long, corridors, it doesn't feel right. But maybe the problem are those big hallways...
Which brings me to the most important point : your mapping !
I'll be blunt : your mapping is extremely bad. Your interiors are extremely large and extremely empty. It's a huge problem.
I've shown VX Ace to my 8 years old boy and he does better maps than you do (and his maps are not good either...).
You must make your rooms smaller and you have to decorate all that. Put some furniture, some bookcases, and even some walls...
If you can't do better, you should add a mapper to your list. It's pointless to have nice-looking cutscenes and then to move in those horribly long and empty hallways, really.
In terms of gameplay, I can't tell you anything since I never came to the point where I could fight anything. The game crashed before that.
Your game does have strong points so you should work on improving what's bad (essentially the mapping) and people may enjoy playing it.
About the resources, I imagine your game will not be commercial, since it's based on an official anime and you would have problem getting the rights to commercialize it.
But this means that you can have access to many resources that aren't allowed for commercial games.