Purchased RPG Maker VX to not be "a pirate" in "that way" anymore.

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by atoms, Dec 14, 2018.

1. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, I don't know where to post this or what to say, but I wanted you to know years ago when RPG Maker VX first came out, way before this site existed, I did "pirate" it since I didn't earn any money at the time. But I now realized I can purchase it instead. Since I still use it sometimes, I bought RPG Maker VX today on this website, the official one.

I still think the price for it is way higher than it should be, since we know VX Ace and MV are more recent verisons, but anyway I still accept that price. I never "pirated" VX Ace or MV and in fact reordered them on this site, but I still thought I should share this.

Hope this isn't a bother to anyone, anything that could've been seen as a "problem" should be "resolved" now anyway, not that anyone would have ever known if I didn't let you know now, but I thought I should be honest about it.

I'm also a lot older now and don't really hold the "pirating" beliefs any longer, although I can understand why people with less money or younger kids would still do stuff like that.

If this is not the right part of the forum to post this in then sorry, hope it goes in the right place? I thought Products would make most sense, but then though it's a bit of Feedback in a way, since I'm also thankful for this website and that was another reason why I agreed to share and do that today.

That's all I want to say. In case anyone can't read my tags, I'll paste them below too, hope you find them funny.

"purchased", "rpg", "maker", "vx", "no pirating", "pirate", "treasure chest", "treasure", "chest", "arrrgh".

Let me be clear, I'm not fully against it myself but it's definitely not something I plan to do again now that I'm a lot older.

2. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Great, i hope next version of Rpg Maker won't be too expensive. Or else..

atoms likes this.
  3. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Or else what? A lot of work has to be made to make these engines and honestly they are incredibly cheap compared to other engines. Heck, the RTP art assets alone costs hundreds of dollars and we only pay a fraction of that.

atoms and MushroomCake28 like this.
  4. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can always wait for the sale and get it at 80% off.

atoms likes this.
  5. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    or else somebody may do something they not plan to do again
    and what engines that RPGMV is "a lot cheaper" compare to?
    Godot - Free
    Unity Personal - Free
    Contruct2 - Free
    Cocos2D - Free
    SRPG Studio - $60
    SGB - $70
    RPGMV - $80
    PPMV - $85
    GMS2 - $99

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  6. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 Great Sorcerer Ainz Ooal Gown-sama Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Most people grab any RPG Maker engine when they are on sale. They often go for only 25% of their original price.

atoms likes this.
  7. SweetMeltyLove

SweetMeltyLove Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Construct 2 is not free, it costs $200 :p
    Godot and Unity are free but also orders of magnitude more complex than RPGMaker. You're paying for the pre-built systems, editor and the huge library of free assets. It's like the difference between buying a shelf and cutting trees to build one

Shaz and mlogan like this.
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually, there are ways to tell. And even on the forums when people ask for help, it's usually pretty easy to know if they are using a pirated engine. So pirates aren't as clever as they think they are, and they don't always get away with it ;)

9. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz Just out of curiosity, what are some hints that points toward pirate (specifically on this forum for RPG Maker)?

atoms likes this.
  10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    lol - you do realise you're asking me to post, so the pirates can see, what they do and say that alert us to the fact that they're pirates? Yeah, that ain't gonna happen ;)

Asking a question like that might be considered to be suspicious - "what is it that lets you know someone's a pirate? So I can make sure I don't do that" :D

DerVVulfman and atoms like this.
  11. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol, isn't that a a bit like paranoia?

atoms and Shaz like this.
  12. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    SweetMealtyLove already said what I was going to say about the engines, but I do want to add that honestly there aren't a lot of engines that do RPGs by default in the market. Sure you can get Unity or GameMaker to make an RPG, but you have to build it up from scratch which means you're eating into development time making the engine do basic RPG stuff, whereas with the RPG Maker series the basic foundation is already made and you can focus your time on actually getting started with the more complicated and time consuming parts of game development. Granted this has it's own hurdles with some elements not being needed for some devs or just not being as flexible as you might need it. With the latter part this has become easier now with MV using Javascript which is a heck of an lot more flexible to work with then Ruby and the only thing holding you back in that area is programming knowledge.

atoms likes this.
  13. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    no, there have been dozens or hundreds of people banned for piracy here on the forum over the years.
    Some of them tried to hide that fact as well - while others simply didn't understand that they have to pay to use the makers. Up to one Ace-scripter who demanded that he should be allowed to continue because he had written scripts for the community with his pirated copy (didn't change that he was banned).

Acetonide and TakeHomeTheCup like this.
  14. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I don't see why a new RM would suddenly make people who bought the previous version have to pirate it. It's not like people aren't still making amazing games with 2k3 and XP, it doesn't have to be the latest version to be useful.

DerVVulfman, atoms and Acetonide like this.
  15. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    RM is cheaper because they're also including the RTP. I mostly quit using other game engines because most of them didn't provide the standard asset. Granted, I'm only a hobbyist and I don't want to spend my time creating/buying/commisioning my game assets. I only want to focus on making a game.

atoms and TakeHomeTheCup like this.
  16. Acetonide

Acetonide Event Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I think most people's problems with the price of VX comes down to a few things.
    1. For most products when a newer version comes out the older version becomes cheaper because the newer version is an improvement on the older one. This hasn't really been the case with VX (I haven't looked lately since I own it now but I recall for a number of years I had wanted to purchase it but it never went on sale. This was before it was on Steam). There are of course reasons why it hasn't dropped in price which has been mentioned already.
    2. On the surface (from the name to the editor itself and the additional features) it looks like VXA is the same engine with improvements. Obviously that is not the case otherwise scripts would work across engines and would require a lot less work to create the same effects in both engines. But unless you really get into it, at just a glance VXA looks like it is just VX with a few added features.
    3. The majority of the community here has moved on from VX (which I have just reaffirmed) and most of the scripts and such resources that VX needed has long been taken offline and any new content created using it has all but dried up. This once again enforces the impression that it has less value as I see more activity for XP over VX even.

Of course personally I am currently working on something for VX so I can attest that it's quite different from VXA and that's why I'm struggling to find things for it and starting to look on other sites. Yay me.... ;-;

atoms likes this.
  17. MushroomCake28

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    VX price can come down to like 5$ when there are sales. I wouldn't complain for 5$.

atoms, Shaz and Acetonide like this.
  18. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz
    Ah, but I was talking about long ago in the past before this forum existed, I mean correct me if I'm still wrong but I think back then there was a lot more "pirating" of RPG Maker engines. Both 2000/2003 and VX and I think a lot of it went unnoticed. 2000/2003 could only be obtained by pirating at the time. You may be right though, and even then people may have really known the difference between the two. :)

@MushroomCake28 Yes I know and it's somewhat ridiculous but I just want ahead and bought it at the expensive price, in honestly I think the price for VX should be much cheaper but I still decided since I use to use it a lot as a younger child I should purchase it now.

19. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Back then the only forums were fan forums, so even though people might know someone was using a pirated engine, a lot of it might have been overlooked. This forum is owned by Degica, the distributors of the English versions of the engines. Piracy is taken more seriously here than it might have been on other earlier fan forums.

As you say, 2K3 wasn't even legally available in English back then, so if ANYONE was using an English translation, it was guaranteed to be a pirated copy.

Acetonide likes this.
  20. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just spent over $200 on a sound effects library, mostly containing footsteps. I sure ain't gonna complain about a measly $60 to an entire game engine that you've used extensively in the past.

The Makers have always been cheap, the people complaining about it are a vocal minority. They'd complain even if it was priced at $20.

But good for you going back and purchasing it. And no, we don't let people know how we spot the pirates. If we catch you, we will ban you. We're not going out on a Witch hunt though.

Acetonide and Shaz like this.