Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all

Just wanted to get any feedback on the core mechanic of the game I am working on.

In a fantasy world where deities have created a system for deciding who is good and who is bad, the player character ends up with a completely even score at death. He ends up in a purgatory-type situation. From there he/the other denizens of purgatory can send him to a place he can fight through in order to get {relevant plot point}.

So, he is sent somewhere to fight, but has limited time to spend there, currently 30 battles. By defeating bosses he can accrue more 'battle points' to stay there longer. On death/running out of battles he returns to purgatory, where he is stripped of all exp/levels. He has one chance to spend the money acquired to gain equipment, then loses any remaining gold. Any equipment bought or items found persists between 'runs'. Skills/spells can also be bought with a second 'souls' currency.

Basically it is a deeper version of Inflation RPG with some OTT Disgaea-esque skill-gaining/levelling and masses of items for purchase.

Does this sound like a fun puzzle to solve (how do I complete this in X battles) or does it sound super tedious going over the same ground a load of times even if you make progress every time?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does this sound like a fun puzzle to solve (how do I complete this in X battles) or does it sound super tedious going over the same ground a load of times even if you make progress every time?
Yes and yes. I mean, it's a turn based twist on rogue-likes. You won't be able to get rid of the tedium of repeating the same map over and over (which is why random level generation exists in many rogue-likes), but as long as the core gameplay is strong and the "Fight, loot, die, spend, repeat" loop is satisfying enough, the maps won't be too big of an issue.

Not to mention there is a plus to having the same maps: memorization. Having the player memorize enemy placement (and possibly bonus loot areas) can really make the player feel like they're beating the system. It's something to play around with, at least.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is random map generator plugins for mv

AdeptusUK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm really leaning into the repetition. I've got puzzles and mazes, hidden loot, all levelling done by manual stat allocation (with luck fiddled with to affect loot drop rates) and so on. @NemoTheSurvivor your response made me laugh, I thought I was doing something semi-original, hadn't occurred to me that this game loop is the one most rogue-likes have!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh no. That moment when you try to fix something you modified in your game, like, a year ago but didn't want to fix then, and you now have no idea what you even did. Me right now, trying to figure out why my gold window is over stretched?
LittlePIGGY wrote on atreyoray's profile.
Where are you TT^TT
We need ARP_InGameManual for MZ
Oh my gosh. Thank you, Macy's! Thank you so much! You have made me very happy!
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What are you thankful for? I'm thankful that I no longer have PTSD, and that I get to enjoy a good meal with my mom and stepdad! It might not be the same as before COVID, but at least I still get to enjoy the holiday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eryndor