Castoa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this is kind of a weird question I feel, but I'd like to put a battle sprite on a map and just have it play the default battle stance animation for an npc. I copied and resized a battle sprite sheet and put it in the correct folder, but when I put it into an event, it doesn't move. I should have known that it wouldn't be as simple as just plugging it in, but can anyone tell me the difference between how a battle tileset and a character tileset are organized, or how I can go about getting it to animate on the map?

MrKiwi

No Flying Bird
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, the thing is, battlers and characters images are organized slightly different, battlers sets are 6 rows; 9 columns and characters sets are 8 rows 12 columns, if you want to add a battler for an npc sprite, make a standalone character which is 4 row and 3 columns that proportionate individually (To do this place a "$" in the sprite name)

Take this as an example, its 64x64 and works for npc's on map.
$BattlerHarold.png

Hope this helps you :kaohi:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, you can't just copy and resize, because they have completely different formats/layouts. You have to choose the individual sprites you want from the battler sheet, and convert those into an on-map character sprite.

To animate it, just check the Stepping Animation box next to the sprite on the event page.

ImaginaryVillain

High Cultist of the Sporkle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Or if you wish to go the plugin route https://quxios.github.io/plugins/QSprite will let you use the sprite sheet as it is. It's pretty useful if you want to change poses a lot or do an idle pose when not moving.

Castoa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks so much guys, I got it to work! I've been struggling a lot with sheet formatting and naming, so I've just been trying to pull up the existing assets and examine them to see how they're put together. Is there a page or site that you know of were I can really learn all of the formats and naming conventions, or is that just something I'll have to get used to as I run into it?

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks so much guys, I got it to work! I've been struggling a lot with sheet formatting and naming, so I've just been trying to pull up the existing assets and examine them to see how they're put together. Is there a page or site that you know of were I can really learn all of the formats and naming conventions, or is that just something I'll have to get used to as I run into it?
It's under "Help>Contents>Asset Standards" section.
...or a copy here: https://rmmv.neocities.org/page/01_11_01.html#p01

Happy Game Making! Best of luck with you project! :)

Castoa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks so much for all the links!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Remember when people had the ability to have meaningful conversations on platforms like twitter or facebook? Good times... Nowadays is absolute crap.
All aboard the Advent calendar train, riding Avery's coattails as an excuse to make more sprites. ;)
Advent2021-01.gif

Get 'em in my thread in General Resources.
I had a dream where it was Friday, and what happened in the dream was irrelevant, because I woke up and it's not Friday, so I'm sad.
edit: third time's the charm? some graphic text I whipped up that I like for the mid-game intertitle, now with all of the actual letters in the stupid damn words I was trying to spell :uswt2:
kcsmall.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pazzow