Puzzle similar to the "Great Glacier" from FF7

Nephilium

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello!

First of all, I'm using MV, and I've included a picture of the puzzle, and a link at the bottom to the puzzle in action. (Puzzle starts at about 1:00 in).

I thought this would be a fun puzzle to attempt, but I'm having trouble. I have a couple ways in my head on how I want to try and make this work, but I don't know which one would be the best/most optimal way of doing it.

Another problem I've been having is getting the character to jump. The first jump from the starting point onto the first stone is no problem. It's after the player lands and needs to choose another direction to jump. I've tried using conditional branches with "Button press" such as Up, Right, Left, etc to play a movement route in that direction, but it's not working.

Any help in trying to figure out how I can pull this off would be awesome!

Attachments

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Simple Answer: Switch

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Without looking in it too deep, 2 plugins that might help you:

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any help in trying to figure out how I can pull this off would be awesome!
Someone more expert than me will come along soon, I'm sure - but I'll see if I can help.

Firstly, I would create each stepping-stone as its own event. Each of these events would have 2 pages; one for traversable, one for not-traversable.

The way I would want to do it, from my persective, would be to have each of the stepping-stone events trigger something which controls the others, and changes their state. This is how I would do it in some other engines. However, in RPG Maker, it's generally not good practice to have events-driving-events; you try to have one major event in the scene which drives all others, as well as responding to inputs. We'll call this the "puzzle manager event".

So the only things the stepping-stones would do would be to change state when requested (according to a unique switch for each stone) and, when you land on a new stone, they would change a switch to ON, which would activate an autorun page on the "puzzle manager" (this page would turn the switch off at the end of the page, so it only runs once each time you touch a stone).

Then, all of the logic - i.e. which stones to turn on/off - would go in the puzzle manager, not on the stones themselves.

You'd also need to come up with a good naming convention for the stones, maybe stone_row_column, e.g. stone_5_2, stone_6_4 - and personally, I would also draw this out on a piece of paper to have adjacent to your screen.

Then, you would write a series of IF... THEN statements. Basically, for every single stone, you need to write what happens if the user lands on it. Probably best to start off with the "correct" route, then do everything else.

If you want more info about that last part, you should look up programming solutions to the "Lights Out" problem (Lights Out is a handheld game that was made by Tiger Electronics in the 80s where you pressed buttons to do a similar puzzle; if you check it out, you might find some cool ways to make the scripting simpler).

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

being able to transition music seamlessly is amazing. my main character's theme has lyrics and it goes from vocal version to istrumental when he leaves his room. and vice versa. and thanks to a plugin, the transition is seamless. I love it.
All of the auditions for our game are so good, I'm so glad I'm not in charge of choosing completely. lol I just can't with some of them. I listen to them on repeat. XD
Working on a Patch to integrate AlphaABS into random generated Dungeons. Was a bit tricky, but the outcome is a real Life Changer!!

Will release it the next days!
Been pretty busy... but I got a better headset for recording and listening today. Dad says that he'll consider taking me to Great Wolf Lodge for the first time once I finish summer classes (my final semester!) I'll be taking my plushie friends with me: Bendy, Lolbit, and Helen Henny. (I WUV PLUSHIES!)
SF_Monster3,4 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mezzy