PVGames 2.5D Graphics

Discussion in 'PVGames Resource Packs' started by Jesse - PVGames, May 4, 2019.

1. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Most Recent Updates:
    Here you can find the most recent updates to the 2.5D resources:
    [​IMG]
    The Carnivorous Plant

[​IMG]
    The Assassin

[​IMG]
    Large Statues (with and without plinths)

[​IMG]
    105 Metal Ore Tiles!

[​IMG]
    41 new desert cliff tiles!

[​IMG]
    141 New Wooden Building Pieces!

[​IMG]
    12 Desert Ground Tiles, 9 Giant Monster Skulls, and 88 Sandstone Building Pieces!

[​IMG]
    128 new Fieldstone and Wood building pieces and floors!

[​IMG]
    104 New Tile Objects including modular rug pieces, counters/tables, bookshelves, books, and more!

[​IMG]
    83 Wood and Plaster building pieces completed!

[​IMG]
    Over 40 new Blacksmithy objects finished with more to come! The forges are animated as well.

[​IMG]
    85 new building tiles for Fieldstone buildings!

[​IMG]
    150 New Tiles - alchemy flasks and potions, astronomy objects, new food items, additional furniture, paintings, and more! Also released are animated light candelabras and wall sconces as well as several varieties of animated potions, both bubbling and glowing.

[​IMG]
    Railings and bannisters, modular shadows, and more!

[​IMG] Over 130 snow-related tiles finished, including cabin tiles!

[​IMG]
    256 new objects to fill your maps, primarily centered around armories and kitchens, but also includes a bunch of furniture, beds, tables, etc.

[​IMG]
    Roof tiles! Working in conjunction with the walls and floors and all those tiles, the roof tiles will allow you to complete the exteriors of your buildings.

[​IMG]
    Additional pieces for the stone building set plus some fixes to existing pieces.

[​IMG]
    Modular river bank pieces.

[​IMG]
    Moss and grass covered cliff tiles.

[​IMG]
    Wood Building tiles and more Nature tiles and decals.

[​IMG]
    Stone Building, Interiors, and Nature tiles and decals, the first batch.

[​IMG]
    The Necromancer

[​IMG]
    The Witch

[​IMG]
    The Daemon Knight

[​IMG]
    The Valkyrie

[​IMG]
    New Mythos Lady Character Pieces!

[​IMG]
    First Male Commoner Character Pieces!

[​IMG]
    Female version of the Knight character pieces!

[​IMG]
    Female version of the Mage character pieces!

[​IMG]
    Male version of the Musketeer character pieces!

[​IMG]
    Female Archer character pieces!

[​IMG]
    Footman character pieces!

[​IMG] A Game of Thrones inspired base - though I thought he kind of looked like Dr Manhattan from Watchmen as well.

[​IMG]
    New character pieces for the Female Battleguard class

[​IMG]
    Upon request, a nurse in the Mythos style!

[​IMG]
    Sk
    ål! A Shieldmaiden for the frozen lands!

[​IMG]
    Male Detective (Mythos)

[​IMG]
    Female Bard

[​IMG]
    Female Cleric

[​IMG]
    Male Berserker

[​IMG]
    Male Battleguard

[​IMG]
    Male Knight

[​IMG]
    Female Musketeer

[​IMG]
    Male Mage

All monsters have 400 frames of animation and a high-resolution, large static image.

[​IMG]
    Uruk Crusher

[​IMG]
    The Weretiger

[​IMG]
    The Air Giant

[​IMG]
    Troll

[​IMG]
    Uruk Soldier

[​IMG]
    The Hell Warden

[​IMG]
    Skeletal Shambler!

[​IMG]
    Undead Dragon

[​IMG]
    Wyvern

[​IMG] Dire Wolf

[​IMG]
    Red Dragon

[​IMG] Peeker

[​IMG]
    The Apex Hunter

[​IMG]
    The Apex Predator

[​IMG]
    The Apex Stalker

[​IMG]
    Daemon Hound

Overview:
    [​IMG]
    This new set of graphics is focused around offering resources that allow for greater visual depth and detail than what can usually be found. A great deal of emphasis is placed on modularity to allow for maximum flexibility and creativity, both for the tiles themselves as well as for the characters. The majority of these resource are hand-drawn, with some being rendered from 3D models (the characters primarily, and a handful of the objects).

What are these?!
    [​IMG]
    2.5D is a very general term used to describe a 2D perspective that represents a 3D projection or space. This is NOT 3D, it is merely a 2D perspective (in fact, you can't actually recreate this perspective in 3D at all!). In this specific case, the perspective is at a 45 degree rotation.

2.5D graphics are wonderful because they can add much-needed depth and dimension to your game maps.

How do you use them?
    [​IMG]
    These tiles were designed to be used a lot like Lego building blocks. They are modular in nature and will snap together easily on a 32x32 grid in spite of the fact that they are larger than 32x32 pixels. Due to their basic structure and modularity, this allows you to make an infinite number of structures, rooms, etc.

Decals!
    [​IMG]
    While these tiles will snap together on 32x32 pixel grid, these resources also include "decals" which are tiles with blended and faded edges. This allows them to be placed almost anywhere and they will fit in. These are fantastic for covering seams, breaking up patterns, or just adding variety! Their uses are virtually endless.

Build Your Own Characters
    [​IMG]
    In keeping with the concept of modularity, this new generation of character building resources includes TONS of customization of your characters. A variety of base templates can be freely mixed and matched with different outfit pieces such as tops, bottoms, hats, shields, weapons, helmets, hair, facial hair, etc. Each piece of equipment, clothing, hair, etc supports over 70(!!!) animations, all of which are in 8 directional facings. On top of that, there are 24 high-resolution face expressions, 24 high-resolution bust images, and 24 high-resolution paperdoll figures. Each of the 24 showcase different emotions and poses.

Speaking of Animations...
    [​IMG]
    As of right now there are over 70 animations, each one available in 8 directions. These animations range from walking and running to fighting and sleeping, with so many in between. Fighting animations consist of a number of one and two handed melee attacks, ranged weapon attacks for bows and crossbows, as well as firearms such as pistols, rifles, and machine guns (not to mention unarmed attacks, throwing...)

You will simply not find a more comprehensive number of animations for 2D characters anywhere else. I've looked!

Ok, but making characters sounds difficult and time-consuming!
    [​IMG]
    You'd be right, if it weren't for some fancy new software in development by my friend at Dekita RPG. Some key features:

• Freely add and edit clothing layers, hair, weapons, etc.
    • Editing layers includes altering colors, setting opacity, saturation, and more.
    • Animation previews (you can cycle through the animations and watch them in real time!)
    • Easy to use and flexible pathing system. Drag and drop the resources into the project folder, it's pretty simple!
    • Project Files: allows you to organize your characters and templates by project.
    • Custom exporting options gives you the ability to choose which animations you want to export. Not everyone is going to need or want all 70+ animations!
    • Flexible template system allows you to set up your own templates and custom animation parameters, faces, etc. This ultimately allows you to use not just my resources, but pretty much any character-making resources. This also means that all of my older resources can still be used by this software as well!
    *Note: The above image is of the alpha build; the GUI will be cleaned up and organized and the overall look of the software will be a bit different than what is represented here.

What about monsters?!
    [​IMG]

No game would be complete without terrible baddies to slay! These monsters come with a whopping 400 frames of animation for walking, running, attacking, getting hit, wounded, and more actions, all in 8 directions! Each monster also has a high-resolution large static image that can be used for front-view battlers, static side-view battlers, promotional material, cutscenes, or any other purpose you can think of!

When/Where are they available?
    PM me for details.

Thank you for checking out my latest resources!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  2. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That software though, that looks pretty neat :p

Shaz, mlogan, Poryg and 2 others like this.
  3. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @?????? And does it work neat too? :p

Shaz likes this.
  4. ??????

?????? Diabolical Codemaster Veteran

First Language:
    Binary
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ehh... Well, it works as intended. That's pretty neat ;)

5. Yougotsomechocolate

Yougotsomechocolate Random Chest Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This looks like one of those old computer rpg games.

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    So, isometric tiles.. These are looking awesome, like your previous packs :)

That software looks awesome too

?????? likes this.
  7. HasdrubalBarca

HasdrubalBarca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Awesome. So glad to see you go this route, having the ability to have resources as soon as possible is such a great thing. Is the editor going to have the ability to recolor certain pieces? Like say I want to have the color of the pants be different but every other bottom piece stay the same. Also are you going to explore the steampunk aspect again? I know you said it wasn't your best selling pack.

8. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    @?????? - It working as intended is the neatest thing of them all!

@Engr. Adiktuzmiko - Yes, though this is far more focused on that point of view, whereas in previous stuff I only included some pieces rotated at an angle and did things primarily in the typical 3/4 overhead view.

@HasdrubalBarca - Thank you for your support my friend! You will be able to alter the color/saturation/opacity etc of each layer individually. The old software had a similar function as well. It's not really much different than if you loaded the layer into gimp and fiddled with its color, just its built into the software. One thing to note though is that I am not doing a ton of individual pieces but instead making complete outfits that are broken up into a handful of smaller parts. So instead of boots, pants, belt, shirt, gauntlets, necklace, and sash all being individual pieces, there will be a top, bottom, and accessories as warranted (hair, hats/helms, facial hair, weapons, shields, etc are also all separate). I had to do it this way for both technical and personal reasons. As for steampunk, I think in this current format of producing material I am more inclined to revisit it at some point, same with sci-fi, and I stillllll want to do some more modern stuff, too :)

?????? likes this.
  9. Yougotsomechocolate

Yougotsomechocolate Random Chest Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I forgot to ask, does it work with MV?

10. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    @Yougotsomechocolate - I've used them in MV, but with MV's limits you would need to utilize plugins to get the most out of them - you would want to set things up properly for your project and needs first. But plugins exist to make full use of all of the resources. After all, these are just pictures.

Edit: To expand a little, I use some of Galv's plugins to make animated characters. I use Yanfly's plugins for combat. I use Galv's map layer plugin for map layers. So yes you can use them in MV, but you can't expect them to work like the default RTP stuff.

11. HasdrubalBarca

First Language:
    English
    For anyone using these resources set your grid to 160x160 instead of 128x128 if you're using GIMP.

@Jesse - PVGames: I know that you're moving away from doing the little individual pieces, I was just curious how the recolor system would work in the new software. Like for example trying to just recolor the red feather in the musketeer's hat but leaving the hat itself alone. It's also nice to hear that the new platform would allow you to explore other themes too, cool. One thing that I forgot to ask was if the new software takes into account that accessories like weapons and shields can "clip" through the character if wearing bulkier clothing/armor at certain angles. I fixed this in your old resources by cutting up the shields and weapons in the problematic angle and putting the cut versions at a separate and lower layer so it wouldn't clip.

12. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    @HasdrubalBarca - Yes, the new characters are in a 160x160 frame; they are a little bit larger than the previous characters, but have a fair bit more 'padding' around the edges to compensate for things like polearms, rifles, and other long objects that can be affixed to the character. As for recoloring just very specific parts of a single image, I do not know of any way to do that. For what it's worth, the hat itself is black/white with just the feather being colored, so doing a hue shift should *only* effect the feather, in this instance :) All hair and such are white/grey for easy recoloring. Where I can, I make things more or less grey or neutral in color for easy recoloring with the software.

As for the clipping issue, that is something I did think of and I did ask @?????? that if he could find a way to allow for certain layers in certain frames to be pushed to the back layer or front layer depending, then that would be awesome because that would certainly be an easy (from the user's standpoint) fix to that issue.

13. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I set the grid to 160x160 for the modular building parts and it works pretty nicely. I had it at 32x32 and they snapped together well, but they also moved a bit too much for accuracy purposes and I found myself repositioning them a lot. 160x160 works well.

14. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    A 160x160 grid for the building pieces works at all?! I just tried playing around with that and I do not see them working in the slightest lol. Maybe there is some hidden wisdom you've discovered that you could share with me :)

15. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It works but after a bit more exploration it does have a few hiccups where something won't line up at all lmao. Sooo nevermind :D

16. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Just so you know, you CAN increase the snap range for the snap-to-grid function, makes things more, well, snappy :)

17. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Modular river bank tiles and the female cleric character pieces are finished and now available. Next up: more building stuff and ROOFS!

Kaelan, TheSorcerer and GolfHacker like this.
  18. Phantasie

Phantasie Veteran Veteran

Ugh, these look amazing. PMing you with out a doubt. Cant wait to pay for these.

Question: Why didn't you use a 48x48 grid to make it easier with MV? I can upscale, so this isnt that big a deal, just wondering.

19. HasdrubalBarca

First Language:
    English
    I never had a problem with 32x32. The pieces snap pretty effortlessly for me.

Oh, and I also noticed that one of the sprite animation is a throwing animation! Is it fair to assume you have weapons like javelins in mind?

20. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    The 48x48 MV grid would actually be too big for mapping purposes with these particular resources (unless I made the characters about 50% larger, too, but that would be too much). Also, I don't think any other software outside of MV or personal custom engines use 48x48; 32x32 is pretty much standard (good ol' power of 2, i.e 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc). And on top of that, trying to use these in the MV editor would not go well regardless due to their dimensions and structure, so parallax or yanfly's grid-free doodad would be the most useful way to build your maps (which I maintain is true regardless of the resources used :) ) - and on top of that, you can set your tile grid to 32x32 in MV (though I don't know if this affects the editor, never really messed with that).

So although they don't necessarily play well with the editor by default, I have had no real problems with making maps for games that I make in MV.

@HasdrubalBarca - Correct! Or rocks, grenades, potions, small cheeses, baseballs, whatever you want to have your character throw, it is a fairly general 'all purpose' throwing animation :)