mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure how I missed the dragons. They’re incredible.

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Took a bit of time, but finished up the female archer character pieces! I think she came out pretty well.

It also occurred to me that at no point did I ever post an example of what the high resolution faces that you can put together look like. I have only shown the Paperdolls. Here is an example face (there are 24 different poses/emotions total):

PS: Thanks @mlogan :)

Glob01

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The intention is good, but in my opinion it is worse than previous jobs, in addition to having doubled work redoing what was mostly done in another style.
I think the older work with more variations would be much more productive, like SteamPunk, Sci-Fi, Viking packages and improvements in medieval itself.
This model leaves the constructions simpler

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You'd be surprised what complex structures you can build with these. Medieval if anything was more limited, given how repetitive the premade buildings will eventually be if you want to have multiple towns. The houses were cool but interior tiles really didn't match up with the exterior choices either sometimes. No two buildings will ever be the same with this new art style. You can build whatever you want now instead of being stuck choosing premade stuff. It really doesn't take much extra effort to use them.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Glob01 - Have you used the tiles?

I get what you're saying, but this method has far more longevity and flexibility than the premade buildings of yore. Most of the pieces can easily fit within different genres and themes (bricks and wood are pretty universal building material), but a premade building typically clearly has only one defining genre (fantasy, modern, sci-fi, whatever).

I would much rather provide resources to people that give them the flexibility to make what they want to make instead of being limited to using something only for very specific/niche uses. This does exactly that AND it allows for me to build upon them easier. With the pre-made buildings, I was limited by what raw resources I had on hand to make them. With these, I can make anything. I can add some modern and sci-fi style walls and they would be usable alongside any of the other walls made.

These walls can be used to make both interior and exterior environments as well. You can do several different types of maps with them really - can have a building fully integrated with the outdoors map that you can seamlessly walk in and out of with the roof disappearing (like what @Zyphli has done); you can make seperate maps for interiors and exteriors as is typical for RPG Maker; you can do whatever you want with them, they are flexible.

And as @PsychicToaster pointed out, you can pretty much build any type of structure you want with them - they can be as simple or as complex as you wish with pretty much an infinite variety of wall shapes, roof shapes, additions, etc.

An example made by PsychicToaster, which I think looks fantastic:

The only thing the premade buildings did better perhaps was that they were, well, premade and thus you could just plop them down into a parallax map. In that sense, they were perhaps "easier" to use. But I think most people building video games would be more than willing to give up a tiny bit extra time to have buildings customized to their specifications rather than save a small amount of time just dropping prefabs that may or may not fit with the vision of their game.

Last edited:

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Included in these 104 new objects are pieces to create your own rug (can build it out to whatever shape you want), and a bunch of various counter type pieces to allow you to build bars, counters, tables, and other similar furniture. Also included is a corner bookshelf and some individual books.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You are killing me Jesse. Slowly but surely.

I have been dying for a snow package to get around into building the majority of my outside maps. Now I just have one question that's bothering me, will this 2.5D Graphics pack blend with any of the older Medieval sets? Can I mix and match the nature elements? Or the structures from the other set with this? What about the people? It seems to me that you're using a high isometric angle whereas the older packs were medium angle. Or is that just my eye playing tricks on me?

Zyphli

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Guardinthena I'll give you my opinion as someone who has been working a fair bit with both the old and the new graphics. The Nature elements mix and match very well. I have favorite parts from each set and use a mix of both in nearly all of my maps.

What doesn't mix as well in some cases is furniture type items because you are correct that the angles are different, so mixing walls and furniture between styles doesn't always line up, though I have found some uses where I can get away with it.

Here is a side-by-side to give you a comparison between the old and new people. While the size is close enough that I don't consider it noticeable in most cases, I have found they do clash. The colors on the new character parts are more blended and less blocky-looking, leaving me with a preference to not mix them.

upload_2019-6-24_23-6-29.png

Overall, I find it is worth having access to both sets to mix and match the parts that can be.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Guardinthena - What @Zyphli says is pretty much on the nose (Thanks Zyphli!)

A lot of the stuff will mix and match just fine, like natural elements and a number of smaller (non furniture, non wall) objects. Monsters and characters should work fine too, but you might not want to mix and match the characters (you can eyeball it, some would fit in better than others).

What will not mix are the walls/buildings and some of the furniture. You would need to choose either the old stuff or the new stuff for that. In my personal opinion, I would go with the new stuff because it is very modular so you can build whatever you want out of the pieces, whereas the older stuff were predominantly pre-made buildings with low customization.

Hopefully that helps!

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you @Zyphli and @Jesse - PVGames for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I do love that you have gone and made everything modular. It really opens the doors for everyone to be as creative as possible and for each game project to be so unique.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nice moustache.

I’m curious how we can make chase sequences or something of the sort for stealth and combat with all eight directions.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Between the big hat and the face the musketeer reminds me of the actor Orlando Bloom.

@BloodletterQ - I haven't tried this personally myself, but I would suggest Yanfly's Event Chase Stealth. I don't know if it works with an 8 directions, but I don't see why not.

mathmaster74

just...John
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@BloodletterQ If you're using MV, move routes allow you to establish moves in all 8 directions. I've only used MV, so I can't speak for how the other engines work in this respect personally. Combat would require combat animation cells in the proper "facings", but are possible using only the four turn directions. Example: You want an NPC event facing NE to swordfight w/ an NPC event facing SW. You have the cells of the NE swordfight animation and the cells of the SW swordfight animation. Now you align the cells of each animation down the center of its own walking animation sprite sheet by sprite...so the first 4 cells go down the center of walking sprite 0, the next 4 cells go down the center of walking sprite 1, the next 4 down walking sprite 2, etc. You get 8 character sprites per walking sheet (0-7)...so you can do 32 cells of animation this way if you want, and you're technically unlimited because to make the animation work you use move routes to turn left, wait 3 frames, turn right, wait 3 frames, turn up, wait 3 frames, then change image to the top cell (turned down) of the next walking sprite on the sheet, wait 3 frames, etc...but if you run out of walking sprites on one sheet, you can just change image to walking sprite 0 on a new sheet and continue from there. It's a lot of work, which is why you don't see many in-depth diagonal combat scenes...especially in RPG Maker...but it can be done. It may be possible to use the spaces "off center" of the walking sprites to do this as well to get more animation cells on a single sprite sheet. I've never tried. This is how you handle "stand still" combat. When the NPCs move, you have to switch them back to an appropriate %(x) walking sprite sheet (assuming you're using Galv's diagonal movement setup) so they can use the 8 direction move route commands to look proper. Essentially...all of movement and map combat animation in 8 directions for NPC events is handled through move routes, though. I believe this can be worked together with Yanfly's Event Chase Stealth plugin as recommended by @Guardinthena with relative ease. You just have the MC using their %(x) walking sprite sheet to use 8 direction movement normally and the NPC "guard" set up likewise so their chase movement is normal until they finish their "approach". Unfortunately, the approach will probably always finish only if adjacent horizontally or vertically...so combat with the MC will probably never be diagonal without an additional plugin, script, or special trigger dreamed up to handle this scenario. Hope it helps. :smile:

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do these run off a 32 x 32 grid as opposed to 48 x 48? If so I'll have to find a plugin and remap my entire game?

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You can run it as either, it just depends on how you make your maps.

With RPG Maker MV, you can use a plugin to set the tile size to whatever you want. What size are you using right now, @padr81 ?

Edit: Also, I just added the tutorial you made to the help thread. I completely forgot about it! You made it awhile ago, but it is fantastic and still relevant today.

Last edited:

padr81

Guy whose game is taking too long.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
You can run it as either, it just depends on how you make your maps.

With RPG Maker MV, you can use a plugin to set the tile size to whatever you want. What size are you using right now, @padr81 ?

Edit: Also, I just added the tutorial you made to the help thread. I completely forgot about it! You made it awhile ago, but it is fantastic and still relevant today.
Thats buddy, I took the plunge to see how I get on with them. Looking forward to having a poke around.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Do let me know if you need any help or have any questions. I have used the resources with both grid sizes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I need a new option on YouTube that goes "Dont recommend videos/channels in this language because I do not speak it"
I've reconsidered having a subclass system for my first two games since there will already be plenty of variation in playable actors and usable items in the games. The third game will need it because of the basis for the story but I want the actors in the first two to be more focused in their roles.
Behold! The Sea Doggo.
I am dead tired but at the same time I really wanna write a tutorial x_x
Looked out side and couldn't see the neighbor's house through the snow. That age old Christmas song started going through my head. "It's a lovely day to say the heck at home."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenBratva