Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This thread was once a repository for videos. Those videos are now merged with Plug-In and Tools thread, so this thread is now a showcase of PVGames assets, primarily created by and submitted by users of the assets (and a few from me as well).

Enjoy!

Videos and Clips:
(A big thank you to Zyphli, PsychicToaster, Padr81, Kaelen, and Risen)

Screenshots From Users:
(A big thank you to Zyphli, PsychicToaster, Padr81, and Risen)
Temple_Inside.png

Intro_CrystalBall.png

TempleInside.png

TutorialMap.png

ElvenHouseOutside.png

ElvenHouseInside.png

GobinCave_Inside.png

BrickHouseInside.png

General_Store.png

SpiderCave.png

DesertCastle.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

ChristmasHouse.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

NewVillage.png

Taming.png

Dragon_Horde.png

Yk0Qh3w.jpg

unknown.png

Screenshots from PVGames:
2dsZnbo.jpg

lFUEXiW.jpg

Wbnz2wS.png

iV4T5oo.png

OhLulog.png

FFAKsds.png

6jcly5x.jpg

qdLASq8.jpg

typ4MED.jpg

Uh4G2q9.png

C3OEzw1.jpg

FHf4dar.jpg

W7kluV8.jpg

H0WfUGY.jpg

rWjY50c.jpg

xZI4sPq.jpg

k04a0Ol.jpg

m3AyrCL.jpg

GBKuHON.jpg

j1SS5Pf.jpg

NXjK4mr.jpg

Q81ciow.jpg

Last edited:

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
For your first video, this was actually pretty helpful. Got to start with the basics after all. 

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah. It's nice to have parallax tutorials using your resources, rather than RTP or similar styles.

I never thought of mapping the way you do, Jesse. I was creating patterns in GIMP and then using low opacity cloning to get things such as dirt roads. Thanks for showing me a new way to map. :D

Audio is a bit dodgy, but I can still understand everything you're saying.

Looking forward to the lighting\shadow tutorial you mentioned. Anything new I can learn about adding lights and shadows to a map will be a huge help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
interesting video. Sound is not bad (though it sometimes feel like you stole Will.IAM's vocodder).

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, sorry about that. It is a webcam mic, not really high quality, and I think it might have been placed too close. Next time I will try it further away and then adjust the volume controls in the editor. We'll see how it ends up :)   Might invest in an actual mic if need be.

There is no right or wrong way to utilize the materials - they are just graphics. This just happens to be the way I do things.

gRaViJa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesomen I'm also really looking forward to see how you use the cliffs :)

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just went ahead and ordered a Blue iCE microphone, so should have that in a few days and that should provide a notable bump in sound quality. I might remake this first video after that, and go on to make other videos. I would like to get a short list of subjects that people might want to have me go over. Thus far I have:

The basics of parallax mapping with my resources

Using the cliff resources

Creating interiors

Combining parallax mapping with the game engine/grid for best results

??? Let me know!

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Making a castle keep with the castle type 2 folder. Something I've struggled with. Super helpful though! I'm glad to see this come out alongside the Dungeons pack. Christmas is here early. 

I might do a tutorial on how to achieve this blended look. Finally got my recording software set up properly. If anyone is interested in a different style using painting with patterns, I'd be glad to give it a go if Jesse doesn't mind. Not trying to hijack the thread lol. But it's not a bad idea to have multiple tutorials on different methods for using these resources.

map001.png

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PsychicToaster You should. That's a very nice effect. I have a lot of different GIMP brushes which I use to create effects like that. Yo can also use the dodge and burn tools to create darker\lighter areas - helps create the illusion of depth.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I also use sometimes is a very slight bump mapping, and also light bevel and emboss to produce a bit of depth.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah. There's a nice tutorial on using bump mapping on here:

That's where I learned about bump mapping to create roads and riverbeds. Of course, you could easily use it to create all sorts of elevation.

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@The Stranger

I don't even use any special brushes, but if you've got a link to some I'd gladly try them out. I used the GIMP stock Smoke and Grass brushes for that method. 

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PsychicToaster This site has nice brushes for GIMP, as does this site - however, the last site does require you to buy a $3 license if you plan on using the brushes and patterns for commercial purposes.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PsychicToaster Depends on the effect you're going for. If you look through those websites, you'll find brushes for nearly everything (symbols, spray paint, decay, wounds, etc) so it all boils down to, as I said, the outcome. I used various symbols (runes, tribal markings) to create tattoos on the busts of some of my characters. I used various decayed brushes, with a nice fleshy pattern I found on the first site, to create a wounded\diseased look on other busts. I also used said pattern and brushes to create fleshy hive tiles on a parallax map.

I might use something more natural (in terms of brush) to add mud effects, for example. Perhaps a swirl brush, decay bursh, or fractal brush. Pretty sure there are some rough sand brushes on the first site which could be used for things such as mud\dirt.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
One thing I'd like to know is how you made those logos for the resource packs. Pretty pointless since there's a lot of tutorials for that around...

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I would love a tutorial about the battlers/mastersheet and how to use them best (which battle engine is best, what other plugins to use). It took me a long time to figure that out in VX Ace, and it would be awesome if there was a guideline for MV.

Oh, and thanks for the tutorial! It is awesome that you are using gimp, not so common to see the free software in a parallax tutorial!

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now I know how to easily make fog. Awesome! :D

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So yesterday Dad took me to Volcano Bay, and it was almost ruined by a thunderstorm... then it passed by and the lightning warning got lifted, leading to an awesome time sliding and swimming. Hopefully we get to go to the arcade tonight. The one we're planning on has a restaurant built in with AWESOME food. Not to mention how big the arcade itself is!
image_2021-06-13_150033.png

Maybe I'll actually try making a retro pack. Already have the shark fin made so why not xD
Hey everyone, for everybody following along with my RPG Maker MZ streams: There will unfortunately not be a stream tonight. There is a big exciting event that will go live next week that has been taking all my time, so look forward to that!
Took a small break by playing VR. Latest update of these glasses unfortunately caused a little of trouble but it can be fixed with a manual operation.

Until You Fall is freaking awesome.
I am SO HYPED to share this trailer with everyone when its done. I almost want to tear up i had no idea how far i came along with Fallen Feather in these last 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrShiranai