BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Feeling more confident about using these masterpieces.

PsychicToaster

Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
As an addition to using the tall grass decal, you can lay some down, start a new layer, and lay down some more. Change the Hue/Saturation for that second grass decal layer as you please to add some tones, from some drier patches of grass to funky colors for an alien landscape. The result is a nice blend of colors that further serve to break up the monotony of the base texture.

It turns out something like this. A bit subtle, but it's there. Don't mind the dirt splotches. Trying to work in some barren patches. The top left one turned out fine, I got lazy on the bottom right. xD

grass.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HasdrubalBarca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nice videos. Looking forward on how to do proper lighting.

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Time for a quick and easy tutorial. I'm not doing video for this, too much going on in my house for the holidays so it'd be noisy in the background. 

I figured out a fast way to do your cliffs in RPG Maker MV, and then bring them over into GIMP for parallax mapping. You could drag and drop cliff tiles into the editor if you needed to, but if you don't mind doing them as a static image you can just copy and paste into an empty document for mapping, this takes only a few minutes.

Step 1:start with a blank RPG Maker MV map. You don't want to fill it with any tiles at all. No grass, no dirt, nothing but the transparency layer.

Desktop 12.22.2016 - 14.16.22.01.png

Step 2:Lay out your cliffs. You will notice that there's some transparency on the cliffs that shows the transparency layer through them. Do not worry about this, as I have a fix for it later on.

Desktop 12.22.2016 - 14.31.16.03.png

Step 3:Download Orange Mapshot http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49711-orange-mapshot/ here and install it to your RPG Maker MV project if you have not already done so. Be sure to set the image quality to 100 in the plugin's options.

Step 4:playtest your game, and take a mapshot of your map using the plugin(default hotkey should be the printscreen button your keyboard. You don't need to press control+printscreen for it to work). 

Step 5:When the mapshot is taken, it should open the directory that it is stored in. Leave this open for the time being.

Step 6:open up GIMP and create a new document. Be sure to set its width and height to the dimensions of your RPG Maker MV map, multiplied by 48. I use a screen resolution of 1104x624 in RPG Maker, so the smallest map size I can have is 23x13. 23x48=1104, 13x48=624. For this tutorial, I've used the smallest map size I can, so my GIMP document will be 1104x624.

Step 7:Fill the ground layer with a basic grass pattern for the time being. You can always edit this later. 

Desktop 12.22.2016 - 14.34.23.05.png

Step 8:Grab your mapshot from the folder you left open earlier, and drag into your new document. Set it as its own layer above your background layer. 

Desktop 12.22.2016 - 14.35.09.06.png

Step 9:Make a pattern out of the rock pattern from Tile_A2 in the Town and Country Set. 

Desktop 12.22.2016 - 14.36.27.07.png

Step 10:Swap down to your grass layer, and paint with the new pattern using the clone stamp at any point on the cliffs where grass shows through. For my example, there was really only one spot of green on the top of the cliff. The bases that touch the ground do have a tendency to show some grass through them but it's not usually a big deal. Paint over the base of the rock with a small brush if you feel like it needs some touching up.

Step 11:parallax map as usual! Simple as that. I've made fairly large cliff segments this way. You do have to have a vision for a map in mind already, otherwise you'll find yourself remaking your cliffs a few times. I plan a lot of my maps around the cliffs themselves. Adding a bridge to span cliffs would require you to learn how many tiles across it goes. Easy fix there is to drop a bridge down in GIMP, export the image as PNG, place it in the editor as a parallax, click 'show parallax in editor', and place the cliffs to fit the bridge. I find it better to do cliffs by hand in GIMP at that point though.

Last edited by a moderator:

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The only issue with parallax mapping is that since we have tall sprites, Yanfly's doodads plugin would be more convenient so that it looks right for 2x2 objects for instance.

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Jesse - PVGames Do you have any more tutorial ideas? I played your indie game entry, and it had some map work that was mind-blowing. The bridge you fight on, combining the castle wall pieces with it, was something I'd love to know how to do. Also the parallaxed water is beyond my knowledge right now.

Jesse - PVGames

Game and Graphics Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heya! I have not been good about making more tutorials. I will certainly try and get around to doing another one when I get back home from holiday travels, closer to the new year. Was there a specific type of map you wanted to see made? Or mostly the bridge scene?

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Editing the premade buildings to make new ones? Not sure if that's something you had intended to be done. And the bridge map would also be amazing.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah I will do more at some point. I know interior maps have been requested before, so I will be sure to do one about that. @ForomirDeAlioth was there some topic in particular you wanted to know more about?

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is there anything you can do to show us how you port parallax maps over to the engine? I know there are a million tutorials on it, but I feel like you might have found an easier way : P

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure what you would need help with for that - after I make the map, I just put the file in the parallax folder (or the layers folder if I am using Galv's layer plug-in)

PsychicToaster

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The process of actually setting up the layers of the GIMP document to be brought over to RPG Maker. Unless you no longer need to separate things in order to have players behind a tree and all that. I recall having to put the objects you want the player to be in front of in a separate document, import it into RPG Maker, then bring the rest in for transparency, etc.

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah I can show that, it is not too hard :)

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Tutorial Pt1 by Padr81:

This video is by forum user Padr81 and covers a wide range of topics from how to set up some of the resources to using Yanfly's doodads plug-in and QSprite. Worth checking out!

Jesse - PVGames

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Updated the main thread - this thread is no longer regarding tutorial videos, as those have been merged with the Plugins and Tools thread. Instead, this is a showcase of the PVGames 2.5D assets - videos and screenshots mostly submitted by people using the assets so you can see examples of what other people are making.

Enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've just checked my account balance...
Here's the graveyard area I'm currently working on for another small project! (This is actually an RPG and not a puzzle game for once)
In the strangest turn of events, my animations now live in the characters folder, and my character images now live in the pictures folder. It's a complicated world, but weirdly a more resource efficient one. :LZSexcite:
Did you know that we use robotic spy animals to learn about how different species behave in the wild? We're only a step away from robotic spy humans, and then Terminator. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AikoKurasu