PVGames Resource Pack Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'PVGames Resource Packs' started by BloodletterQ, Feb 27, 2016.

1. jayray

jayray Jay Ray Games and Art Design- Oklahoma City, OK Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I agree... That's why I love QMap Editor and Yanfly's Grid Free Doodads, because yes, those 'chunks' (Love the term, I was using SUPERTILES) could then be laid down like tiles in a tabletop RPG game, big huge tiles that use different tiles and such that could be repeated over and over again. Your tilesets being what they are usually are geared more for doodad placement, or for setting up independently, BUT the walls could just as easily be put together with a floor, throw a cobweb, a shelf or two, save it, and BOOM, one doodad out of 7....

2. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Two neat, but possibly important tricks.

-Using Galv's Character Animations, you should set a common event like this:
    Replacing JoeSchmoe with whatever the sprite is called for the player character and selecting the idle animation which would be the second 0.
    A common event isn't necessary but makes the events look less cumbersome. Plus you'll have to do it all the time. The script uses Yanfly's Move Route Core which I will cover briefly soon.

Why do this? When a message box is open, your player's sprite will be locked in the last action they took (as in running or walking.) Just apply this common event before every message or anything that stops player control so they're not jogging in place or whatever.

-Yanfly's Move Route Core is a great help for the poses. Here's an example of what you can do with this plugin:
    X is the index of the pose, starting from 0. In my case I used 1 which makes the player kneel. Don't forget to have them turn to the correct direction.

After this you should call the Common Event to reset the character sprite. This is why in the common event you added the script should you use this plugin.

This sequence makes my character kneel at a chest. Modify it to your desires.

Keep in mind that with the animations your character sprites may often flicker as a result of them resetting to the neutral standing position in the poses. I did this when I made the player character kneel to open a chest.

Edit: To remove the flicker, I'd put "Script: PATTERN LOCK: 0" before changing the image in the move event sequence. This forces them into the neutral standing position. I modified my code for use in a common event. Again to reduce clutter.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That is a pretty clever use of the plug-in! That is something I did not discover myself when I made Unsung Heroes; instead I was just happy I got the NPCs to walk around and do the idle animation using the moveroute function and swapping out their character sheets at certain points.

BloodletterQ likes this.
  4. BloodletterQ

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Stupid question but you are okay with us looking at project contents as a study method? You did it in your stream.

5. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    Go for it, is there something in specific you need to see?

6. BloodletterQ

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just want to look at how you do the outer walls of interiors- both artificial and caves.

7. Jesse - PVGames

First Language:
    English
    If I am not mistaken, if you download the game you should be able to access all of the graphic files, or am I mistaken in that? :)

8. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Been playing more with this and its amazing. Exactly what I was looking for on certain cutscenes.

9. BloodletterQ

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's kind of necessary for the poses I believe.

I also want to hear more opinions on how some of you handle two or three-tile high objects? I'm not using full pixel movement and figured out a certain amount of the tileset can be placed on the top layer. With doodads I think I need to do double the work figuring out where to place collisions.

Anyways I've just updated the front pages along with a slight touch-up to the events.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  10. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Anyone got any ideas or tips on how to maybe make a swamp land with the PV tiles. I know we don't have an official swamp pack yet but it would be awesome.

11. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2016 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Assuming you have all the packs, I'd make use of the Plague Bringers and Diseased Town decals, plants, trees, and do what you can to modify the existing water tiles we do have to tint them a darker, murky color.

padr81 likes this.