LightAme

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi~ I just resume my project recently and decided to complete on next year. 

I know, the first step is to create a webpage and a social media page to promote myself.

[commercial game]

The question is:

What should it promote? Is it myself or the game I'll be creating?

This is the current situation:

I am from "Freezing Feathers Games". I am creating a game called "Offspring of Lea". So what should I promote? Freezing Feathers Games or Offspring of Lea? Or both?

I am planning to create more games in the future. For website, I decided to buy a Wordpress domain name for it. I am willing to spend a little. :|   If I promote both, the website traffic may be bias towards one side.

ps: This is my first game, the game will have 30 hours of gameplay, with 10 hours for each main MC. There are 3 MC in this game and the story is told through these 3 different MC's.

Thanks for taking your time to read this~  :D

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you plan to have multiple games, you will need several websites or pages. One "landing page" for each game, which promotes the game, provides a way to purchase, if you decide to make any of them commercial, and has a link back to your "company's" social media site.

For starters, a facebook page or similar would probably do for the social media site. At least while the game is being built, or you only have one game. But after you have a few, and get a bit of a fan base, you might want to think about setting up a forum where they can interact more freely and you can keep things more organized (ie - a subforum for each game where players can go to chat and get help). Facebook is good for the social aspect of it, and you might continue to use that page for "general" communication and announcements, but it's lousy for anything where you want structure/organization.

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Since it is your first game, people don't know much about you, so definitely start establishing a web presence on here and on other game dev forums - don't be annoying and don't only come to them for help ;) Participate in lots of discussions and be liked! Have links to your webpages in your signature. Then, I suggest releasing a "free demo" of either this project you're planning on releasing, or maybe even a full (albeit very small) game that shows off your creativity and your strengths. Maybe one or two "one hour challenges!" or something like that =] it won't take you away from your current project for too long, while still letting people know, "Hey I only did this in an hour so of course it's not that great but look at what I can do!" Just make sure they're not terrible XD Check spelling and grammar! Anyway, this'll help get your name out there, and more and more people will start looking at your stuff.

Oh but as for your questions... My answers are a little confusing. Pretty much: promote both but in different ways.

I think promoting Offspring of Lea as a game would be better worth your time than Freezing Feathers Games. OoL will likely take your traffic to FFG anyway - you will have an FFG logo screen at the beginning of your game or the end of synopses and whatnot. "Like OoL? Go to this Freezing Feathers Facebook page!" Right? So if it's a social network page you're talking about making, then specify it for Freezing Feathers so you can promote all of your games to the same amount of people (so you don't have 50 followers in OoL and only 5 followers in FFG - y'know?).

If you have a domain freezingfeathergames.com and then a subdomain for OoL... offspringoflea.freezingfeathergames.com - that would be good. Since it's a WordPress account, though, I am not too sure since you're a little restricted. Maybe go with Freezing Feathers for your wordpress account and have an OoL category so its own webspace.

Anyway I don't know anything about marketing but I read this and had a few ideas. I could be totally wrong XD

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As this is really an aspect of commercial game development/selling, I am moving it to the Commercial forum.

LightAme

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Shaz

Thanks for the info~ I never thought of forums and I think its a great idea!  :D  I always thought forums are for MMORPG game or some other Online games. (ps: Mine's an offline game)

@fallenlorelei

Oh yeah, discussions. I should post more often and communicate in forums and social media more in order to gain more exposure.  :)   After I did some research I noticed that my country doesn't have much option to promote it in real life. (For example, no indie game cons, no indie journals). Anyways I love the idea: offspringoflea.freezingfeathergames.com. Might consider it.  :guffaw:  

@ksjp17

Thanks~ I was unsure where to post this topic since its a query, I thought it might be under "General Discussion". xD

I hope online marketing is sufficient enough to at least let people know that my game exist, or not I will have to add "real-life marketing" in my project recruitment category. (which is highly unlikely unless someone doesn't mind opening booths in cons, or etc.)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Another thumb update. The nail is beginning to break away, along with the aforementioned hard and blackened dead skin. The final join has regained some of its flexibility, tho it's a bit stiff after being held still for so long. The very tip of my thumb has a strange dry and somewhat tingly feeling to it when I touch it to something, but at least it isn't numb. I am so ready for this to be over. :o
Can I get away with calling a "shortsword" a dagger and not a sword?
So here's the full cycles, I'm not so familiar with actually animating and giving motion so any observation on that matter would be really helpful! :kaoswt:
EfGHbLh.gif

Just now I realized I didn't scale it up so its smol...
I wanna make a YouTube video about reviewing a game, but I don't know what RPG Maker game I should play...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kijkmk