Quest Log - Script

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Scripts (RMVX Ace)' started by DRS, Aug 12, 2014.

1. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello, everyone.

I've finally finished my Quest Log v 1.2 script. I would like to share it with whomever is interested. It is simple to use, and looks nice, in my opinion.

Here are some screen shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using a custom Window Skin that I made here, but it will work just fine without it.

If you're interested in this script or the Window Skin you can go to the link below.

http://drs-scripts-resources.webs.com/scripts

Just copy the script and paste it into the Materials section of your script editor. You can also download with right+click.

Notes:

The background image will default to "qlog_bg_v1_2" in your project's picture folder. You can either change the title in the editable region of the script (QLOG_IMAGE), turn the background image off in the editable region(QLOG_IMAGE_BOOL), or add a picture with the title "qlog_bg_v1_2". 

The same goes for the background overlay image. It defaults to "qlog_ol", but for you can change this the same way by either change the title in the editable region of the script (QLOG_OL_IMAGE), turning the overlay image off (QLOG_OL_BOOL), or adding a picture with the title "qlog_ol".

The instructions within the script explain how to manage quests, but I figured I'd explain it here in case someone who doesn't script would like to use it.

- All you need to do to to add an active quest is make a script call in an event.

$game_system::add_active_quest("Quest Title", "Quest Description", "Rewards List")                                          

Ex. $game_system::add_active_quest("Slay The Dragon", "A dragon has been terrorizing the civilians of a nearby town. Slay it with your mighty sword and save the townsfolk.", "Experience: +354, Gold: +296, Item: +Dragon Fang")

The objective and description is fairly straight forward, but the rewards list only looks for commas. It will cycle through the list displaying the current element before each comma. Each element is displayed for 60 frames. So, "Experience: +354" would be displayed for 60 frames, followed by "Gold: +296", and then "Item: +Dragon Fang" for 60 frames. I hope this makes sense to everyone. Also, it's important to note that the quest log doesn't make any actual changes to the actors. All of this must be done through eventing.

- Adding an inactive quest works exactly the same as above

$game_system::add_inactive_quest("Quest Title", "Quest Description", "Rewards List")                                           

Ex. $game_system::add_inactive_quest("Slay The Dragon", "A dragon has been terrorizing the civilians of a nearby town. Slay it with your mighty sword and save the townsfolk.", "Experience: +354, Gold: +296, Item: +Dragon Fang")

- To edit a quest just make a script call in an event. It will work no matter which list the quest is in.

$game_system::edit_quest("Current Title", "New Title", "New Description", "New Rewards List")

- Removing a quest sends it to the completed quests list.

$game_system::remove_quest("Quest Title", failure=false)

It is not necessary to enter a value for failure as it defaults to false, but if you insert true for failure it will give the quest a FAILURE message rather than a SUCCESS.

Thanks for checking it out. If you like it let me know, and if you don't let me know. If there are any suggestions or changes you'd like to see I'd be more than happy to try them out. Within reason of course. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    Venderbox, Dymdez and Aurorain like this.
  2. highvoltage

highvoltage Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    italian
    awesome, thanks

3. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Forget about the quest journal, It's nice, and all, but I want that windowskin bad lol(that's one of the coolest windowskins I have ever seen).

PS. I actually like the layout of this Quest Journal(and how it doesn't have your typica Accept-cancel/complete-cancel buttons), so I may actually end up using it, if I decide not to event mine from scratch, since this is pretty much the type of format I was aiming for anyway), but still, I hope you submit your windowskin

Very nice job.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  4. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow thank you guys, Oh, and Zoltor that window skin is also available at the link

5. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok awesome thanks. I'm planing on using this as a secondary special windowskin, a pain since I love resizing windows for various reasons, but it will make special events/windows look awesome.

Also I think I will use your quest journal, I hate using specific game mechanic scripts when it can be avoided, but this is so nice, It's hard to pass up on.

Just one question, what are the terms of use? Can it be used both commercially, and non-commercially, just need to give you credit or what?

6. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, sure. Use it however you'd like. Both the windows skin and the Quest Log.

7. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok awesome, thanks.

8. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just think it's cool someone actually likes what I made lol

9. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sometime simple, and organized is way better then complex, and realistic(aka turning the pages of a book to scroll through your quests), a Quest Journal is definitely one of those times.

I suspect a lot of people are gonna love both your script(because most scripts use the whole complete/cancel or whatnot configuration, and yours nicely organizes the quests, making this one stand out a lot, plus it has the added bonus of being just as easy to use, as the feature is straight forward) , and windowskin(how can you not love this windowskin, It's so awesome).

10. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, after the positive feedback. I'll definitely be putting up more things as I make them. I'm actually working on an equipable armor script right now. It's a little more complicated than this Quest Log script however.

Dymdez likes this.
  11. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Cool, and I must say, It's really refreshing to see a new scripter come out with a useful/unique script off the bat, instead of more or less, duplicated another scripts function almost exactly. This was a prime example of how you don't need to come out with a overly complicated/long winded script to make something useful, yet still very different from scripts designed to add similar features.

What will this equipable armor script you pan on making, do?

12. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You'll have to create an armor folder inside of the picture folder. Then you make sprite sheets (of armor) that go overtop of your character sprite. I want it to work by just having the same filename as the armor equipped by the character.

13. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If I'm reading that right, omg a lot of people are gonna love that, I'm starting to lose count of how many people want pieces of armor to be visable on their sprite, and change depending on what equips people have on.

14. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yep, that's the plan. I've always wanted that too. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to check if a file is there before setting it for error proofing.

15. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I ran into a problem, but I think It's due to the fact I'm using a menu command manager script to make custom menu commands.

Edit: Yea, that's what seems to be the problem.

Thankfully only the window menu command listing feature is being blocked. I tried to just bypass the menu command altogether by directly calling the questlog scene(SceneManager.call(Quest_Log) ), and it worked just fine.

When I have some free time, I should be able to just create a custom menu command for it, and have it call the Quest_Log scene, so no big deal(evidently any menu command you add to your game, that Isn't a possible command that the default script offers, can't "just" be added to the main list in the command manager script, you have to also recreate the command in your custom command page, that the command manager script reads from to add commands to the menu).

16. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's strange. I wonder how I would fix that. To keep it from occurring.

17. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Nah don't worry about it. Evidently the command Manager script overrides every script that adds a command to the menu(not just the default scripts), It's not your fault. I'm just gonna have to recreate the command from scratch in my custom command script section.

18. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Okay, cool. Btw, Do you like the post-start animation?

19. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's ok, but I do find it alittle slow(I can probally just change that to a faster speed, just haven't bothered to just yet).

20. DRS

DRS Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's what I was wondering about. You can increase the variable from 10 to something else as long as it will evenly go into 400.