Quest of a Life - Development [Beta Testing Phase]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Vallar, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Hello, 

Thank you very much for checking this thread and the game; I do appreciate it very much.

This my first time participating in a competition and definitely my first time doing something like a log... so here it goes.

Let's first start with a link of the demo itself:

http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/134#.U6kdDfmSz-k

Final version... uploading, please wait...

And some screenshots in the spoiler below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the bad logo; I am no graphic designer XD​

Story:

A toy sprang to life one day in a broken world. It doesn't know why or how it came to life with little population of similar toys around. What happened and what is going on? Why are the toys alive? What is their purpose?

Features:

- Any door you can see, you can enter through

- Multiple solutions to the same task given to you by characters in the game.

- Multiple endings for most tasks.

- Open ended game (final product not this chapter); where you choose your ending.

- Your actions affect the world and therefore you might have to act according to the consequences of your actions.

- Simple stealth system.

- Non-combat game.

- Story based game.

(Note: not the final submission; this is the demo and might be a bit buggy).

Credits list:

The Infamous Bon Bon -- Direction Based Line of Sight tutorial and script (http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3452-direction-based-line-of-sight-events/)

Molegato -- Quest Journal system tutorial and script (http://molegato.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/variable-quest-menu/)

Vlue -- Resolution trick to expand the game window (http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/3894-basic-window-resizer/).

Vlue -- Autosave script for saving game on transfer event (http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/18917-basic-autosave/)

KilloZapit -- Word Wrapping Message System, though not fully utilized (http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/6964-word-wrapping-message-boxes/)

Cassey -- Blackfade UI (http://www.rpgmakerv...?showtopic=7859)

Shayoko -- Bug hunting, impassability spotting and illogicality finding.

What I would ask you guys, if you don't mind to please spare a few moments to answer the below questions or report any bugs you may encounter, after playing the game:

- What was the most thing you liked in the game?

- In your opinion, what was the worst thing in the game?

- Was there something missing that you were expected/wanted to have and didn't find?

- Can you describe your experience (and feelings) while playing the game?

- Anything else you would like to say that I haven't asked about?

Thank you very much for your interest and I wish you good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2014
  2. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  3. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Hey Clord, 

Thank you very much for playing and the feedback. 

You mentioned spiderman syndrome... may I ask you to elaborate? Like which part made you feel that way?

And how did you get above the wall? Do you remember what happened before you were able to go on top of the wall? o_O there is no events that send you up there... at all! And the wooden poles, what happened that made them do that? Were you using them and suddenly they flew like that?

I understand the quest journal's writing isn't the best yet... I'll definitely revisit it again.

Again thank you very much for your feedback, it definitely will -- is quite helpful!

4. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

No problem. :)

I coined "Spiderman Syndrome" sometime ago to describe passability problems that allow to "climb walls." or something else that you're not supposed to.

5. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    *Nods* I see... well that is a very fitting term. Could you perhaps, tell me how did you get on top of the wall?

6. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Black stains on the walls can be walked on.

7. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Oh my GOD!!! That is a lot of editing >.>

But I am glad you mentioned that... thank you very much again! 

8. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Not really. Just use hidden events to block the path.

9. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Yeah, I thought of that first... but it is easier to change the location of the dirt.

10. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

I meant, just place invisible event that has "Same as Characters."

Then you just Ctrl + C and then Ctrl + V your event around the map.

11. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Ahhh, I see what you are talking about. That is a very good option actually... didn't occur to me. I'll definitely use it :D

Thank you ^_^

12. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Yeah, that way you can retain ability to keep it also for your ground purposes. :)

13. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Yup, I didn't understand what you meant at first... sorry... lack of sleep. 

14. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Another day went by... 

time is really running out fast... 

The 2nd map has been filled; now remaining an office and a tent to be populated. While I enjoy mapping in in RPG VX Ace, I am running out of ideas on how to furnish those buildings. Perhaps I should start making some that aren't accessible and review my goals for the competition?

The 2nd main NPC is in place and boy that conversation tree is LONG. The demo has a similar NPC but a little girl... I think this one is the same... but it got a bit out of hand with the branching. At one point I had to eliminate 3 out of 6 different outcomes and settle with just 3... otherwise it would have been A LOT of more work and there only 5 days remaining (if I want to use the remaining 2 for polish and bug fixing and the last for upload and any problems that may result in the process).

I was about to implement some side quests when I realized I was going to plunge in the "fill the game with content to look rich". Stay away gathering herbs, quest idea!

Goals for today:

1- Have 1 friend at least play the WHOLE thing (yes, I'll torture them that much and whip 'em if I have to!).

2- Finish the 2nd map.

3- Finish the 2nd side quest (no not the gathering herbs one, I assure you).

4- Get a move on to the third part of the town.

Bugs from yesterday have been dealt with with extreme prejudice (Disclaimer - no real bugs were harmed in the process).

15. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Aaaand finally I am done with mapping; as long as the judges would find it OK that optional content + main quest = 1 hour gameplay and as such NOT missing content... I am in the clear. If not... well... we have to add more maps. 

While I finished the mapping, I managed to finish the side quests in the game (or rather the side encounters since there are no quests in the literal sense after the first one). 

New bugs appeared and some of them are indeed ground breaking have been neutralized. 

Meanwhile... here are a few screenshots

[​IMG]

This is one of the puzzles you might end up having to solve (again there is no one way to finish the main quest so you aren't obliged to finish it).

[​IMG]

This is the southern part of Town (yes, it is as cliched as naming the town... Town. Though you'll come to understand the reason midway through the game but that isn't included in the competition's entry).
    One thing was experimenting with resolution and I got the script from Vlue to increase the resolution. Think I am going to use that for the entry; thanks @Vlue

I have been trying to check out some background music for the game and I believe I'll go with the some of the tracks in the Adventure Journey DLC music as well as a track or two from the Inspirational Music Vol1 DLC music as well.

I have to say though the hunt for music isn't really as easy as one would think... but the DLCs and the default music were quite good. There are some tracks in there that I had on looping.

Anyway, wishing everyone good luck with their development :D

Vlue likes this.
  16. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

It seems that your mapping has been improving based on the screenshots.

17. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Oh, thank you very much Clord :)

18. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    When it comes to art and UI, I am really bad so I thought I would see what people think of what I did:

I used Cassy's UI from http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=7859 and changed the title screen as you can see... not sure if this looks good or the other way around?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What about this font? Is it readable? Or does it look bad?

[​IMG]

And let's sneak in one other map (probably won't be inside the contest entry -- but it is planned for the full game released); the town hall towering over the edges of Town. 

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  19. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    screens shots? so can get a idea what it looks like : D

20. Vallar

Vallar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Not English
    Hey there,

Thank you for visiting the thread.

The screenshots are in both post number #15 and #19 in the spoiler tag :)

Or are you referring that I would upload a screenshot into the main topic's post?