Quest system

AriArtsy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Eek two posts in one night. Anyway, I wanna have characters give random quests so you don't get the same one every time, just a simple "Oh get this item for me!" Or "Tell this character what happened!" And such. I tried the BBS Random Conversations plugin but it was much more than I could handle at once.

AriArtsy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure it's exactly what I wanted. It's perfect for making quests, but I was asking for the ability to randomize quests. I wanted to have a thing where you could ask a character about quests and they'll give you a random quest from a list for that person.

AdeptusUK

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have a variable set to a random number and some nested if conditional statements when you talk to the npc so that they give the quest dependent on the random number generated.

zzmmorgan

I've used punchcards
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd probably set each quest up as a common event and do something like this for the event that's handing out the quests:
◆Control Variables:#0091 RandomQuest = Random 1..4
◆If:RandomQuest = 1
◆Common Event:Random Quest 1

:Else
◆If:RandomQuest = 2
◆Common Event:Random Quest 2

◆If:RandomQuest = 3
◆Common Event:Random Quest 3

◆Common Event:Random Quest 4

:End

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And that's it. Just write some quests in that plugin (using instructions within plugin and then create event like this: https://prnt.sc/v1u71e

explanation of event:
Generate random num from 1 - 10
activate a quest from GALV_questLog plugin
assign to variable41 quest title
assign to variable42 quest description
display description with notetag \v[42] wich renders variable to text in message box

AriArtsy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And that's it. Just write some quests in that plugin (using instructions within plugin and then create event like this: https://prnt.sc/v1u71e

explanation of event:
Generate random num from 1 - 10
activate a quest from GALV_questLog plugin
assign to variable41 quest title
assign to variable42 quest description
display description with notetag \v[42] wich renders variable to text in message box
Thank you so much! I'm new to scripting, so I'm kinda glad you explained everything in detail. You're amazing, and I think I can handle it now!

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This event is an example, but you'll need also a variable to store ID of current (last activated) quest.
Right now you can just activate random quest and nothing more, it will be complex event, but can be done in single event page. Since I don't need random quests in my project I don't have that event coded - I handle quests different approach, but you get the idea how to process my example :]

AriArtsy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It only ever comes up with 1. How do I stop that?

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
#1 setup more quests in quests.txt file (if you have it done - skip this step)
#2 use game variable to store random number - https://prnt.sc/v1vaw9
#3 in the event from post below replace this._rndQuest with game variable. like this - https://prnt.sc/v1vc61

and should be good.

AriArtsy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure I'm fully understanding the last step, or even the point, sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Those kittens I met the other day all found loving homes. I might miss playing with them, but I'm glad they found owners to care for them. In the meantime, my Orlando trip is likely to happen on the 29th. While I wait for that, I'll be working on Angel of Justice...
I really need to work on my time management skills... I have one plot-based roleplay here, another plot-based roleplay there, I have the fangame to work on, I'm trying to get into Runescape again....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nonsense