RMMV QuestBound (Full Version Available)

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
QuestBound

SECTION A: SYNOPSIS
Features include:
  • Exploration
  • Quest Log
  • Optional characters
  • Lots of skills to learn
  • Treasure!

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS
TItle.png

Cave.png
SECTION B: CHARACTERS
Rolan: The protagonist of QuestBound. Little is known about his past except for the fact that this isn't the first time he has been to the island. He has been here before. He hopes to find treasure along the way. He's also a proud adventurer at heart.

Mai: A young woman who will stop at nothing to thwart the evil plans of the one known as The Wicked One. She automatically joins your party later on in the game.

Riona: She can be found on the island when you first arrive. Her lack of preparation stops her from moving forward.

?????: To be discovered in game.

??????: To be discovered in game.

????: To be discovered in game.

????: To be discovered in game.

SECTION C: STORYLINE/PLOT
  • The story soon begins with an adventurer out on sea en route to an island. The purpose of heading to the island—known as Napel Island—is to claim the sought-after treasure there that all adventurers come to seize as their own. However, the treasure won’t be so easy to claim as there is someone who goes by the name “The Wicked One” that stands in the way of the treasure. There’s more to this character— “The Wicked One”—than meets the eye as the player continues onward on their journey to uncover what is it about “The Wicked One” that makes her so wicked. Along the journey, the player will encounter NPCs and other characters that can join their party. In sum, the player is eventually quest bound to save the world and its inhabitants from the one known as “The Wicked One.”

SECTION D: SETTING AND/OR WORLD DEVELOPMENT
  • More can be understood upon referring to the questlog that is in-game. For now, know that the game takes place in one world and eventually another one but it is more like a realm so to speak. The player will have to confront "The Wicked One" more than once to finally win against her. More will be revealed as the game is played.

SECTION E: GAMEPLAY

• The player can move around using the arrow keys on their keyboard. As this is a game that I have designed using the RPG Maker MV engine, battles take place on the map that the player is on. If all party members become incapacitated it’s game over; however, they may retry the battle if they lose. Players will encounter enemies along their adventure which will aid the hero and his party in gaining experience and leveling up. Various skills can be learned for each character upon gaining enough BP (Battle Points) from a battle and applying said points to a desired skill to be learned. There are a number of optional characters that can join your party so it is possible to finish the game without having a certain party member in your group. Recovery items, treasure chests, save crystals, key items and so forth will prove useful in helping the player out as they continue their adventure and uncover more of the story.

DOWNLOAD LINK (Full Version - 1.1 available)

CREDITS (In alphabetical order):
Ækashics (http://www.akashics.moe/)

Casper Gaming

Fallen Angel Olivia

Galv

Hime

Moghunter

Mr. Trivel

SumRndmdde

Yanfly

Yoji Ojima

Last edited:

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been meaning to post an update but have been waiting for 72 hours to be passed at least as per the rules.
Here is what I've done so far since the last version I released.

-I've added a lot more skills (one passive skill so far, kudos to Yanfly for their tips and tricks video) and dialogue
-Revised a lot of the dialogue
-More maps
-More enemies
-Revamped Bestiary (kudos to Casper Gaming)
-Can now select formation from the battle command
-Adjustments here and there
-Plus much more

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im going to test your game, if its a nice story/adventure, I will be doing a full playthrough bug test for you.
also, there are 2 ways to update your post:

1) as OP (if im correct) can post the update underneath it (but not in someones thread.
2) just click "edit" to edit the post to keep it clean.
so you can basicly place on the bottom "EDIT: and your text/date + update" depending how you like :)

ninjaconor

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey! I played your game. The intro was pretty good and I really enjoy the concept of it. A dungeon crawler on an island, with multiple endings has a lot of potential. You've also got a couple of plug-ins in there, which seem to fit in well. None of them seem out of place, as can sometimes happen.

There are two things I would give you advice on:
  1. Mapping: The maps are all quite small and you seem to use the square tool a lot for drawing things out (the island shape, the shape of the dungeon rooms, etc.). I would say it would look more natural if you drew these shapes freehand with the pencil tool. Islands are going to look blobby and cave walls are always going to have imperfections, so it might help make it look a bit more realistic. Larger dungeon screens would also give the player more time to fight enemies to level up to face the boss.
  2. Combat Balancing: I found the difficulty curve a bit steep. There are slimes and bats, which are all really easy to kill, then the next enemy appears to be the orc guarding the chest, who is really, really hard. I had to wander around fighting random enemies for ages to level up to face him, which wasn't the most interesting thing to do. It sort of feeds into point 1: if you make the dungeons longer, so that as you travel through them you naturally get into enough battles to put you on a level to fight the boss, then it will feel much less grindy. Also, the potions only restore 50HP, which is about as much as the orc does on an attack, so healing in combat feels a bit redundant. I'd boost them to at least 100.
Those are my main points of feedback anyway. You have an interesting idea, so stick with it. I don't know if your familiar with Yanfly's comics about RPG Maker development, but I always find them a really handy reference when I'm working on a project (They're available here: http://yanfly.moe/comics/). Keep me posted on any updates and I'll definitely take a look.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ninjaconor the reason the ogre is holding it can be defeated on lv 5-6 if you party up with the girl right on the tower.
Belle can be defeated if you are lv 8 closed.

for the ogre you need to use double hit while on Belle triple one (unless you can do triple on the ogre's.
but the game otherwise is a bit hard and rebalanced needed.

He got a list of mistakes which he fixed, but didn't retry it yet =)

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The slimes kill me in 3 turns. I missed the first turn and it took 2 turns to beat 1 slime while the second killed me. Nice Game Over music. The wait in the beginning(especially during the ocean scenes) is too long.

Tried it a second time and went straight for the cave. Died to the bats. In retrospect I probably could of used the potion I found in that chest and maybe I'd of survived and leveled up but over the games too hard too soon. I shouldn't be able to die on my first fight and If you wander around outside like I did the first time you'll end up getting a game over from slimes and not have any potions to stop it.

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FleshToDust

Thank you for the feedback. I wonder, did the bats use confuse on your character? 'Cause they don't hit for very much damage I'd say. Also about the slimes being too strong, I was thinking of raising the level of the main character but then it might be too easy.

FleshToDust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The bats are weaker than the slimes by a bit but there's 3 of them where there's only 2 slimes so it averages out the same. I don't remember a Confuse.

If you barely survive the encounter you'll definitely die on the second one.

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@FleshToDust

I think in this version of the demo I have it so that the purple crystal in the cave fully heals your character(s).

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've updated the game with a lot more things and adjustments here and there. I plan to call the upcoming version 1.6 since it's quite a leap from the current version.

Things that have been adjusted and added in the version I'm working on:

- Better tutorial at the beginning.
- Less grind at the beginning.
- Character starts off at level 3 now instead of one. (He has been to the island twice before!)
- Riona is now free to move around the map and is no longer stuck in place.
- You can recruit (or choose not to) one of the soldiers on the island. He joins you if you let him which should make battles a lot more easier.
- added equip slots and equip tiers (Thank you Yanfly)
- Added scrolls for each character (can increase your maximum equip slot by one if a character has a scroll used on them)
Improved the intro a bit (it now shows a boat that's on its way to the island)
Plus much more!

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uploaded version 1.6 of the game. I look forward to any comments regarding the demo! I think with this version it's the finalized version of the demo as I don't see myself uploading anymore. The next upload will be the full version hopefully unless there's something that can be improved/fixed in the current version 1.6.0.

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been test playing it a lot and I've come to the conclusion that this version is the finalized version (1.6.2) of the demo. I'm wondering who else would be able to playtest my game for me.

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had to update the game to 1.6.4.

Includes fixes and adjustments.

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Game updated to 1.6.5

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I finally got around to completing my first ever game! I don't want to post this in the completed games section yet as there may still be areas that I can add in the future; for now, however, the game is complete. I'm looking for playtesters (aside from me >.<) to help me test out this new version. Any and all feedback is welcomed regarding the game.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm very NOT a fan of ATB systems, but I'm going to play your game after I get home just cause I like your plot and plot outweighs gameplay for me. XD So congrats on selling me on that. Is this game very grindy (I like grindy games)?

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT

Hi! Thanks for expressing interest in QuestBound =)

It can be grindy but I should mention that the level cap is fixed at 30 for now (because it is a 2-5 hr game) unless I decide to do expansions or build upon the in-game world.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello! Bug report for you. Got the shopkeeper boi on my party and was grinding him up some levels, gave him Heal III, tried to execute that when he got low of health and BOOM:

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT

Thanks for the report! I'll have to find a fix for it asap.

JP92717

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been thinking of moving this thread over to the completed games section of the forums so I may just get in contact with a moderator about that. Other than that, the game is complete and so I don't think having it in the games in development section is appropriate given the game's status being complete. Of course, I'm always looking for feedback on what can be improved but I feel comfortable in knowing that the game is done and ready to be played. I've invested a lot of hours into making my very own first game and am proud at that but something tells me I should go on to make another one sometime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Wanted to post a video of location i've finished but it doesn't work...
The game jam has done a lot of good in actually kicking my butt into action. I've even gotten over my crippling hatred of mapping thanks to it! :LZSexcite:

(Okay, there's also schoolwork forcing me to get on the computer, but I like to give credit where credit is due.)
Decided to start working on my second biome/area...

I'm sure I'll end up hating and changing things a whole lot over the next week. :LZSexcite:
Anyone who says anything "needs to tone down the swearing" has just instantly lost 90% of my respect, unless of course they're talking about like children's programming or a teacher or something.
I feel bad sometimes around others, I hate, and I mean HATE being touched, and I know they don't know I hate it so much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiive