Question about battles.

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Daresso, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Daresso

Daresso Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It seems that you have to get into a battle screen in order to fight. Is there a way to avoid this and instead just spot on battle without going into some turn-based screen?
    If the answer is yes, is there a way to add/customize a death animation once you've killed someone?
    I haven't got any of the RPG MAKER software yet and I just wanted to ask a few questions that will help me decide whether or not to get it. I am thinking about using MV

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Be aware that the answers you get will, to some extent, depend on which engine you get. Solutions for Ace will not work in MV, for example. It would be helpful if you specified which engine you think you might get if you go ahead with buying one.

3. byronclaude

byronclaude Master of all things... (except the things I am no Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As a user of several RPG Maker engines... I can say if you want to create an on-screen battle system... it certainly can be done. However, since the default "Battle Mode" means moving to a turn-based battle scene, what you are asking about is the creation of a "custom battle mode". It most certainly can be done, but will inevitably require more work on your part to make it happen.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    what you're talking about is either called an "action battle system" (short ABS) or a "tactical battlesystem", depending on what exactly you want.
    Both can be added by scripts or plugins (depending on maker), but they're also among the most complex scripts to write, it usually takes a good hobby-programmer one or two years to write and bugtest such a script/plugin.

For Ace (which is around six years old) there are four or five ABS scripts and one tactical script available.
    For MV (which is around two years old) there are (to my knowledge) two ABS-plugins, both still in betatest and not yet fully stable.

5. Daresso

Daresso Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone, I was thinking about using MV

6. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've done exactly this using eventing, storing stats into variables, calculating attack damage based on elements also using variables, and using move routes and animations for attacks.

Anything is possible my friend :cutesmile:

kaukusaki likes this.
  7. OwMeEye

OwMeEye Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There are scripts for action battle systems in both vx ace mv. But, like the other said, an active battle system always requires more work, time and effort to make, and, I think especially when it comes to graphic. I also find that the available scripts often come with some downsides and issues. Some are slow, others are clunky to play or difficult to implement. You would have to try different one and see which one satisfies you the most.