Question about changing text-box window style

HeroAlmighty

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, everyone! I'm totally new here, but I'm helping my friend out on a few RPG Maker MV projects of his. I sincerely hope that this is the right place to post this request, and my apologies if it isn't, but basically, I want to know how to change the game's text boxes. I have two parts to this question:

First, I know how to export the default window and customize it myself. But say I wanted to go beyond this simple text box and import an image to use as a text box - like, say, a Persona 5 styled text box. How could I import my image into the game so that I can use it as a text box? Is it possible without plugins, or would I need to get a plugin or know some programming to do this?

Second, is there a way, without plugins, to make use of multiple text-box styles? For example, say I wanted each character's speech to have a signature text box. Could I import multiple different styles into the text box file, and use some in-game script to change between them? Or would this only work through a plugin?

Sorry for the long questions, but if you have anything to help, then I'm grateful for it! Thank you in advanced!

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker MV Tutorials is for people to post their tutorials to help other people. Therefore...

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

1) The windows in the game by default are created with elements in the Window.png image (in the img/system folder). Look at that image, and if you want to understand how the window boxes are created in the game, you can read the documentation (F1 in the engine), or read this thread:

2) Modifying the "window", or also called the windowskin in the code, per character would mean modifying the windowskin dynamically during the game. This is not possible without a plugin because you need to modify the game's default engine. There are many plugins that allow you to change the windowskin in the option menu, but I don't know of one that allows you to change the windowskin in events. Anyways, I don't know about all the plugins, so perhaps there is one. :)

EDIT: You don't necessarily need a plugin. @ShadowDragon way works and would allow you to use pictures for your windows. It is more work, yes, but is doable. You'd have to fix stuff in the menu though, and that part may require a plugin.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
customized style can be the same width and height of the text box (screenshot it for easy sample)
than create what you want too and use show picture command,

let say actor 1 use pic 1, and actor 2 say something, use pic 1 again to overwrite,
when show both, top + bottom, use pic 1 and pic 2, make sure to erase the picture
when done with a 1-4 wait time (60 wait = 1 second) thats pure eventing)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

i watched the sonic movie it was pretty good i hope they make a sequel
tomorrow I'ma go on a cruise for the first time ever... lets hope I'll survive the experience!
Omg! 8 years in this forum :o
Ksi
Streaming the last of the RMN Valentiny event games so feel free to drop on by and watch me cry (whether that's from laughter, rage or sheer pain, who knows?)
Today I went to sleep without setting an alarm, so I could sleep more than 2 hours. I woke up after 2 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kt040