Question about creating a game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Torisu, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Torisu

Torisu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys!

OK so I've been working on my game for a few weeks now ( Creating the graphics and characters etc...)

I've been throwing questions at what I really should be starting at and what stages do I take?
    Should I create my characters first and then work on stages? Or create my music and then do other stuff? or script the story?
    Please help me, I would appreciate it. Also I've finished my story and I know what I want for the game, just piecing it together.

Thanks!

Marquise* likes this.
  2. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would suggest to start with the story - narration - dialogues, because in that way, you create a skeleton to glue your graphics and music together. On start you might use blank pictures just to prototype your game, then as you make graphics one after another will be substituted with real graphics. Same for music, fx etc. When you get stuck on the story, focus on music or graphics. That way you never stop. You keep going. That is how I work on something.
    Split story to chapters (in your mind and in the scenario) and each chapter split it on scenes.
    You can make one scene after another then.
    Note that while making your game, you will come up with ideas and the story might actually change.

Marquise* and Torisu like this.
  3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

This is a question which gets asked quite often. I suggest you browse the first couple of pages of General Discussion to find several related threads.

4. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Game making, to me, is doing work in the actual program. Story, graphics, music etc are separate things that you might use for the game, but don't they don't make the game for you. If you want to get started, you're going to need to be doing database work, organise where things are going to be so it doesn't become a mess later on. Make playable maps. Make cutscenes. Make skills for characters and monsters. Work on a combat system that is balanced and fun.

Torisu likes this.
  5. Archayr

Archayr Dreaming Artist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe everyone have their own process to develop their game and there's no one perfect way to do so.

Depending on what you're doing and whether you're doing it solo would entail different method but based on your post, I'd assume this is your first time attempting to work an actual project. The most important aspect would be the basic premises of your game. Your story (if there's any) would be the main catalyst in what you'll require to make the game happen. Art, music and maps all would depend on your story. You wouldn't care about having a snow tileset if your story takes place exclusively in a tropical island, right? You wouldn't use upbeat music if the tone of your story is constantly dreadful, huh?

That's it; story and premises. If you don't have anything tangible yet when it comes to those two items then sit down and think through what you're trying to do. Don't attempt to make a 50 hours game as your first project. Start small, try to craft a small self contained story of one hour or two and see how it works out. Once you start seriously working on a project, you will develop your own practice on what to work with at first and what comes next.

Personally, I am currently working on a project that is highly a Visual Novel but I still choose RPG Maker MV to make the game (I considered Ren'py as well). My thought process about this choice made MV an obvious choice due to how I can easily craft small map to give the player more choice without relying exclusively on menu-type of choices. I had a general idea of my story but I was against writing everything down, instead I have a sort of diagram where the story progression is described very briefly and it will be expanded once I finish making the resources for the game. Meanwhile, there's some specific things that I need for my project and I contracted someone to create the specific resource. Meaning while I am working on one aspect of the game, someone else is paid to work on another aspect that I might not be skilled enough to tackle.

All in all, learn to use the tool first and you'll figure out yourself how to work flow.

6. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    It would really depend on which works best for you..

For me, what I do is

-Story
    -System/Script creation + Database stuff needed to test said systems
    -Actual database work needed for making the first few maps
    -Mapping

Then its just a cycle of Database, Mapping, and Script adjustments as needed

Torisu likes this.
  7. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd say make the prototype game as soon as possible to get to know the feel of your game. There're a lot of stories I've heard that ppl only work on either story/resources, or even worse, just the idea. The thing is, all of it doesn't make your game. But at least the story is better because ... well, you tell the story. Resource on the other hand doesn't make your game. Resources is just a resource. Lying in wait. Waiting to be actually used.

If you make the prototype game, at least when someone asked your game, you can tell them "Sure, here is the screenshot/demo". Not making an excuse of "Not yet, I'm still working on making the resource of it".

Torisu, Eschaton and samkfj like this.
  8. Eschaton

Eschaton Hack Fraud Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm inclined to say "start with the gameplay." Come up with your core gameplay mechanics. Decide which plugins you want (if any). Then start cutting what isn't necessary.

Then start coming up with combat challenges for your combat mechanics to overcome.

Then start writing your story.

Torisu likes this.
  9. Rixis (릭시스)

Rixis (릭시스) Mecha Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    I'm sure just about everyone has there way or method to getting started on a project, and to be honest...I would say, does it really matter HOW you get started as long as you do? In my opinion not really, but if you want to be a little more tangible, I would say it helps to have a general concept first of what the player in your game will actually be doing.

Being that this is RPG maker however, most people tend to focus on story things primarily for their games. Assuming you want to go this route probably creating a cutscene or two is a good way to get you going. Or hell you already said you started working on assets, I don't see whats wrong with that. Just do whatever you want to get started and overtime you will find out what you need and what to hit next as your project progress. Being that we generally aren't working in teams here you can literally tackle a project in any way you want without need of much structure or organization. The end result is all that really matters.

Torisu likes this.
  10. kirbwarrior

kirbwarrior Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh, I almost missed this. Yes, the prototype is likely the best place to start. You already have a story and thus have something core to work off of and use to direct everything. The prototype is basically your game but much simpler; Enough of the characters to work, enough of a battle system to test and play, enough of maps to generalize the world, etc.

Torisu likes this.