chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
"If I use a variable in a non RM project, will I get sued for using a variable without Degica's permission? Because it says I can't do that in the EULA :("

like if I make an array and attach it to an object, like how RM does, is that illegal?

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
lol no, scripting logic isn't actually their property.

They have used arrays and conditionals - I can do the same whenever and wherever I want.

They have used 'hp' variable - I can do the same.

If that would be illegal, then RM would be the software, that would be using stolen code as it's not the first RPG thing and 'hp' variable, for exmaple was already used 99999999 times.

If you'd copy&paste the code, then yes, but that's a different story.

That's just how it all works ~ all platformer games have similar code for obvious reasons. So do RPG's and everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
but my platformer code says in the beginning of it, "I don't know" :p

but I mean, the language of the EULA's don't really define anything, like most legal documents do, making for the most unusual circumstances....

I mean, I don't mean to throw matches at a gas can, but I got in trouble for even discussing making my own DLL using my own code to pass graphics to GPU instead of CPU in Ace, and they ended the discussion by telling me to buy MV (which I have seen is so popular with people that have many issues with it since the beginning of the release)....

I guess it follows, that if logic could be owned, we'd all be stupid or poor, because we would have to pay to know that 1+1 = 2... but we already have to do that Riki.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
even discussing making my own DLL using my own code to pass graphics to GPU instead of CPU in Ace
Well this is an issue actually, because you're interfering with not your engine.

Though I don't find it relevant to this case as it's a totally different thing. :p

Exactly.

PS. I swear this text editor makes me want to bug it all and break everything to make it happy, because it keeps asking for this. =/

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Im just saying... even with our educations, someone has to pay for the rights to us learning that 1+1 is not 0 or 5. so I think logic can be owned. I would even go as far as to say that imagnination can be owned. but the real problem, is this... imagine a Soda Can with nothing in it or on it. does the Soda Can own what it is made of? what makes it a soda can?

in turn, how can a human own a creation of the mind if we agree that we are mostly our minds?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problems with using your own DLL had nothing to do with the code inside that DLL, it had to do with the fact that you are not allowed to extract data from the original DLL.

As I tried to explain to you at that other topic, everything visible in the script editor can be changed legally and without problems.

The problem is that with Ace, the commands called in the Ace-DLL are not officially known and cannot be legally known (because all listings of them on the internet are illegal).

If you write your own DLL, and give every function inside that DLL your own name (for example by prefixing every function with "CH_" like "CH_functionxyz" and then place calls to those functions in the script editor, then that is absolutely no problem and completely legal.

Only if you use the (illegal) listings on the internet to give your DLL-functions the same names as are used in the Ace-DLL (which would be neccessary to redirect the output instead of creating your own output), only then you get into problems because you were using reverse-engineered data and reverse-engineering is forbidden by the EULA.

And this is about the function names, not the logic inside those functions - which is also why you can make whatever DLLs you want if you use your own function names inside it.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
the dll thing was a mute point for the OP.

I mean, if I create an array called actor, and have params like hp, or atk, is that illegal?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, because that can't be copyrighted. Do you think the thousands of indie games who uses those names are illegal? of course not.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
ok. so a person wrote a song using the first 34-40 digits of pi, and copyright it. no one is allowed to post those notes in any manner on youtube without copyright infringement. how is that not the same thing tho? like the person is allowed to claim ownership over the tonality of notes based off a mathematical construct which is public domain.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you trying to write a song using the first 34-40 digits of pi?  No?  Then why raise the question here?  It's irrelevant as it has nothing to do with the EULA, and is confusing the real topic at hand (as did your bringing up the dll issue).

If you copy code from RPG Maker and use it in your own engine, that's an issue.  But there is no reason you can't use the same variable names and class names and make up your own code around them.

I believe you have the answer you need.  If you still need clarification, please say so, sticking with the actual issue and not bringing in stuff that's not relevant, because extra what-if questions are confusing things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That sigh when a roaming chicken blocks your move event :/
Poryg is still alive, just did somrthing else to kill the time he cannot be productive. Minecraft - 10 tips & tricks on improving your base defence against pvp.
"Ugh, so tired of these rivers and lakes." *squints and looks off into the distance* "Oh cool! Is that a waterfall?"
Why is it so hard to accept existential stoicism? To insist stoics must be deterministic is like insisting God couldnt create evolving animals. Drop the dogmas and concider the compatible mechanics
I just had a duel at Duel Links, and started right away with a fusion monster... felt like an actual yugioh main character :3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImpLover666