Question about Event ID's and Maps

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Thurber_Mingus, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Thurber_Mingus

Thurber_Mingus Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have a question about Event Id's and Common events.

Here is a common even i created to highlight a specific task that is randomly selected.

◆If:Dust Painting is ON
    ◆Set Movement Route:#007 (Wait)
    :Set Movement Route:◇Stepping Animation ON
    :Set Movement Route:◇Image:!Flame(6)

:End
    ◆If:Cook Food is ON
    ◆Set Movement Route:EV009 (Wait)

◆If:Straighten Books is ON
    ◆Set Movement Route:#010 (Wait)

The thing is I have those three events #007, Ev009, and #010 named(I also have no idea why the one is called EV009 but the other two have the number sign on them). The above os the code for the common event from the common event database tab but I was looking at a different map. If I go to the map that THAT common event is to run in parallel, those would be called Dust Painting, Cook Food, and Straighten Food.

All this is to say it seems Common Events look across maps so an EV007 event on one map will get picked up by a common event on a different map even though there may be a EV007 on that map too. In this case both events are effected which is not what I want.

Am I not using common events correctly? or maybe not using events correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jules98

Jules98 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to have a common event affect multiple events across different maps? A screenshot would be helpful.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you want your common event to look only at one particular instance of an event with the ID of 7, then you need to specify not only the event ID, but also the map ID. The easiest way to do that would be to create the CE while you have that particular map open in the editor. Then the CE automatically picks up that map ID (at least, in Ace it does) and references only the event you choose in the Set Move route command.

Thurber_Mingus likes this.
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Common events are just that - common - between maps. They will run on any map and they will refer to events on whatever the current map happens to be.

If you want it to run on just the one map, then you need to only activate it when you're on that map, and turn it off when you're not on that map. In fact, it'd be easier to make it NOT a common event at all, in that case - just a regular event on the map where you want it to apply.

If you have named the events, it will show the event name. If you have not named the events, it will show EV###. And it refers to the events on whatever map you currently have open in the editor.

Actually, that's the way it worked in XP (would affect other events on other maps if they had the same id), and I know Ace and MV had something that checks to see if you have changed maps when you're running a common event. Maybe you've installed something that's turned that behaviour off? Are you running it as a parallel event, or do you have something that calls it, or turns the trigger switch on and off when you're on different maps?

Thurber_Mingus likes this.
  5. Thurber_Mingus

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hrmmm. Thanks for the responses. I'll give some of the suggestions a go. I think I might be able to do the regular event but I need it to fire off when the character transitions to the level. Is there an option to autorun a normal event?

All this is trying to do is create a sparkle on several quest events that MIGHT get selected on a different map. Maybe I am over thinking the process.

6. Thurber_Mingus

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Ah no that's what it is doing, but I don't want it too. It seems like it picks up an event ID from a different map because that event id is shared on the map the common event is running.

7. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you don't want a common event to affect events on a particular map, then you should make sure the common event is not running on that map.

You don't want autorun - you want parallel process (autorun stops the player doing anything). And yes, that is a trigger on a normal event.

But yes, you're overthinking it. You don't need a common event at all, and you don't need all those commands.

I'm assuming the events are the sparkles. Set the sprite and check the stepping animation, and just put the switch as the event condition.

So on event 7, give it just one page, that has the sparkle sprite and stepping animation. Under the Conditions section above the sprite, add the Dust Painting switch. That means that event will only be visible if the Dust Painting switch is turned on.
    You might want to give it a second page with another switch and no sprite, and turn on the switch when the player has done whatever they need to do to make the sparkles go away.

8. Thurber_Mingus

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yah I booted the common events on each page.

Then just used the stepping animation for Flame to sparkle ONLY when that chore was selected.

Worked great!

Thanks for help all.