Question about Fair Use

artimiss1238

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm making a game for my grandfather's birthday that I would probably like to post later(free/nonprofit) to show off and he's a huge Donald Duck fan. So, my idea was to play as Donald and save Daisy from a tower like in a fairy tale. Then I realized that Disney is cutthroat about their characters' usage (regardless of creative/fair use) so I thought to just have my grandpa play as the rescuer and my grandma can be the princess and I could just have Donald cameo as a shopkeeper or something. I looked up Disney's fair use policy and honestly couldn't comprehend any of it and the fair use laws(US) didn't make much more sense either. I'm not a lawyer and I'm not really that smart. Does anyone know if having Donald/Daisy as characters in a nonprofit, non-slandering game allowed?

PS I wasn't sure where to post this thread, I hope it was in the right topic.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

I would suggest you check out my legal guide for creators. There's lots of information many creators aren't aware of, not just limited to copyright laws. Check it out here:

As for your situation, it's the same explanation I always give everyone. Just because you aren't making money of of it doesn't mean that fair use applies. Making a game with assets taken from Disney's intellectual property wouldn't be protected under fair use and would constitute an infringement. They will probably not sue you, and probably won't even know your game exists. However, that doesn't make it legal.

I have no idea if Donald/Daisy are still copyrighted, but if they are you can't use them. Copyrights do expired after a while (it used to be 50 years after creation for copyrights held by corporation, but companies like Disney are good to pressure the government to increase those periods. It's now up to 75 years in the US I think, still 50 years in Canada).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!
Working on a test Boss for the new No Travel Game Jam
- Name Plugin by Moghunter -
Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sir_kishi11