Question about GtHub

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by omega9380, Jul 12, 2016.

1. omega9380

omega9380 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would like to use GitHub to control my RMMV project and was curious what other users in the community had to say on the subject.  I know a lot of plugin writers use Git for their plugins, but I would like some advice on using Git for my actual game project.  Is this even a viable solution?  The main idea is I work on my project both at home on my main desktop and while I am at work using my laptop.  I run a robocopy script at home that backs up my project at night to a USB drive, my home file server, and my Google Drive account.  When I get to work the next day, I run another robocopy to pull the project from my USB drive to my laptop.  After I am done working on my laptop, another robocopy to the jump drive.  And, when I start working again at home, here comes robocopy again from the USB to the desktop.  Finally time for bed, big RC script that does the USB, server, and Gdrive.  I was hoping Git may be a more streamlined way of keeping my data safe.  Any suggestions from the community?  Thanks!!

2. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    GitHub would work fine for this, although you may wish to consider not storing the larger things like music and sound effects. However, the thing to remember is a free GitHub account means your entire project would be freely available to the public. If you'd be going with a free account, and this is not something you want, I would suggest using BitBucket. I was writing a basic tutorial, but life got in the way. ...maybe I should pick that up again soon.

3. omega9380

First Language:
    English
    I've heard of BitBucket but never actually used it.  I've used GitHub, but again, never for project management.  Most of my GitHub experience involves cloning Linux programs.  I'll look into BitBucket, thanks!!

4. taarna23

First Language:
    English
    I used BitBucket for a school project. The only time there were issues was when someone was using a GUI version of GIT. Otherwise it has similar space constraints as GitHub - hence the suggestion of not using revision control for things like music and sound.

5. GethN7

GethN7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I would not store any project in excess of 200 MB on Github for any reason, especially on a free account.

6. omega9380

First Language:
    English
    Any suggestions for a collaborative environment for developing games using RMMV?  I'm just a one man show right now, but I know there are lots of teams using RMMV to develop that would benefit from a service like this.

7. exsharaen

exsharaen Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian

Hi, could you explain why? I do use free GitHub account to collaborate my RMMV project; since I still haven't determined which audio and image to include/exclude, I upload the whole thing there.

I am also figuring out which one is the best. So far, I find GitHub is suffice enough for my team of 8 (although for now only 2 use GitHub). I let my project be public though, since I can't commercialize it anyway (planning to use a CC license).

8. taarna23

First Language:
    English

I wouldn't store any game project on a free GitHub account, regardless of size.

@omega9380 BitBucket allows a team of up to 5 on its free accounts.

@exsharaen I'm not sure about the size constraint, but free GitHub accounts have any projects they have entirely public which means anyone can come along and just take your game project.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  9. GethN7

GethN7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

GitHub has a ceiling on overly large projects, and any project in excess of 200MB is very difficult to upload due to both internal limits and upload times.

10. exsharaen

exsharaen Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    @taarna23 Is it what we call forking? I don't mind though if someone fork my project...

@GethN7 I never knew the size constraint... we haven't met any difficulties though until now. I must agree though that the initial upload was not a pleasant experience, took me 1 hour to upload the whole thing.

So, do you suggest to collaborate only RMMV data (all JSON and JS files) to a Git server (GitHub, BitBucket), and handle the assets separately?