Question About Including RTP Data

naruzeldamaster

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, so the entire runtime package itself is 108 + Megabytes to the game that you're making.

The option 'include rtp data' describes itself like this:  Includes all RTPs in the distribution file so that it will run without requiring a separate software installation.

My Question: does disabling this feature only include the used RTP data within the project file(that is everything required to run the game but not the stuff not required for it) in the archive and nothing else?

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you disable that, without actually having anything in your game folders, it will then try to go where the RTP is installed on a persons computer. That being said if someone hasn't installed the RTP, your game won't work.

The way I do it is just keep it from using the RTP period. Then I take what I need and put it into the folders.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep. Best method is to completely remove the RTP (by editing the INI file and finding the line that says RTP=XYZ and removing the XYZ part - deleting the line will just cause the editor to reset it).

This, of course, means you need to find out what RTP is absolutely required (windowskin, iconset, possibly certain sounds) - whatever is used and isn't modifiable in the System tab. Put that into the appropriate folders in your project. Then as you need resources, add them.

You end up with a very 'slim' file that contains ONLY what your game needs to run (as long as you don't go stupid adding resources all over the place).

Reactions: Bex

naruzeldamaster

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
To be honest I'll wait until I complete the game (which shouldn't take longer than a year or so at the pace I'm going, it's a very basic game but hey, you gotta start somewhere)and go through and remove the resources I don't need manually. rather than removing them all and adding them back in. Either one seems pretty time consuming though....but it'd be worth it to chop a few MB off my game size.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Removing them at the start is MUCH easier than removing them at the end. By the end, how are you going to know if something has been used or not? Well, it's easy to tell if something has been used when you have a map open. But what you're interested in is the stuff that ISN'T used, so you can remove it. How are you going to know that? You'll have to go through every map, and every event, and every event page, looking at the properties (map BGM, event sprite, etc) AND the event commands (play animation, change graphic) to see if something is used. And you'll only be absolutely sure if something IS used, not if it ISN'T.

If you look for threads where people have asked how to remove the RTP and keep SOME resources, you will get a sense of how difficult it's going to be to do at the end.

There is a thread around somewhere (I don't have time to search for it right now) on how to remove the RTP. It might include a list of things you need to add back in straight away.

Trust me/us. Remove it now, spend a bit of time figuring out what you NEED to add, then add the rest as you go. You'll be glad you did.

Or ignore the advice of the people who know what they're talking about, and give us the chance to say "I told you so" in a year or so ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1638170340913.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it
Climbing to the top #mapping
1638160732198.png
I've started the first steps of the final few maps that I need to make for B:ms. I haven't been able to say that in a really, really long time. It'd probably be a good idea to blog about this or something.
Question for the Mods: What am I supposed to do when I can't make a synopsis 350 words long? (for project recruitment thread) @Shaz @mlogan
The game is meant to be more on the simple side in order to be achievable so I'm a bit stuck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmatmoney