Question about parallel events and how they interact with the menu.

Aetas24

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone!

I need some help, and if I accidentally posted in the wrong forum, I do apologize and hope you could direct me to the proper one.

I am somewhat aware of how parallel events on a map work and have been testing out a game mechanic that heavily relies on a parallel event on a map that checks what weapon a player is currently equipped with, then execute its function based on that equipment. I want it so that when the player immediately equips something different (a weapon for example) in the menu, then the parallel event will immediately execute its function while the player is still in the menu screen. However, the effect only takes place after the menu is closed and then opened again. I know this is because the parallel event functions on a map and when opening the menu, the event does not recognize the menu as being part of the map.

Has anyone found a way to use a plug-in or another way to get the effect I am describing? Or at least have the same problem I am having?

Thanks!

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Welcome to the forums!

I've moving this to Plugin Requests as the only way to do extra processing while inside a menu screen is with the help of plugins.

I did something similar in my VX Ace game, causing certain variables and graphical elements to change in the menus based on what you'd selected/equipped, but it was all very ad-hoc, piecemeal programming that would be pretty impossible to package up and give you. But it's definitely possible with the right use of plug-ins.

You may want to specify what you are trying to do with those events (change actor stats? heal someone? show text/pictures?) in order to get more useful answers.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think Tsukihime wrote a menu interpreter plugin, that is the only one I know of if you want to go that route.

Because yes, most menu screens have no interpreter in them and cannot process parallel process events at all.
The battlescreen is the only screen that has its own interpreter, and that works differently as you can see with the troop events. And the map is always inactive on all screens.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Player equips something different in the menu then "do parallel event stuff" while the player is still in the menu screen... would this work for what you need?

The real problem is that is scenes other then "Scene_Map" or "Scene_Battle" don't even really have most windows/containers/functions/etc. coded to be "attached" to the scene. Such as "Scene_Equip" doesn't really actually even have Window_Message or Spriteset... (bg is simply a blur snapshot by default, with no plugins)...

Soooo this might be a situation as to better help if instead you describe what would you like the changing of the equipment to do? Change the players graphic or a message perhaps an animation or teleport the character even perhaps?

@Andar the only one from Hime I could find was for Ace... maybe I overlooked it...?
(I would really love to see how a version for MV is done myself actually)

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
looks like I misremembered, I though there were versions for both.

in that case the OP is out of luck, I don't know of anyone else ever to make the work of creating a new interpreter for the scenes as that is not easy.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
looks like I misremembered, I though there were versions for both.
Aww bummer well guess that's where I come in lol ;)
in that case the OP is out of luck, I don't know of anyone else ever to make the work of creating a new interpreter for the scenes as that is not easy.
OP was out of luck until now...
*tada!*
...updating one of my (many never to be finished it seems lol) WIP plugins...
see below :)
I want it so that when the player immediately equips something different (a weapon for example) in the menu, then the parallel event will immediately execute its function while the player is still in the menu screen.
Basically this plugin adds the menu to be called right on the map
(no more Scene_Map, & now no more Scene_Equip)
Newest feature: Added direct to Equip Windows on Map now (per this request) :)

TODO:

Item, Status, Options, & ToTitle scenes need to become windows that are opened directly on the map instead of calling another scene.

Demo v1.50:
Demo Description:

In this demo the Actor "Player01" character's walk image changes via parallel process upon changing weapons.

Download: Demo v1.50 (Click Here to Download)
Parallel Event Setup:
1579580653781.png

Let me know if my plugin suits your needs. :)

PS. No clue about compatibility with other plugins, except I did some work a while back to make compatible with MOG Monogatari Menu (Only mouse/touch work though). Most likely won't work with any plugins that use Scene_Menu.

Last edited:

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aww bummer well guess that's where I come in lol ;)

OP was out of luck until now...
*tada!*
...updating one of my (many never to be finished it seems lol) WIP plugins...
see below :)

Basically this plugin adds the menu to be called right on the map
(no more Scene_Map, & now no more Scene_Equip)
Newest feature: Added direct to Equip Windows on Map now (per this request) :)
Hey, awesome job with this, I think it's a cool idea to have events that still function while inside the menu. Not to hijak this thread, but is there any possibility of adding this functionality to the Shop Scene as well? Also it'd be nice to have a plugin parameter that would allow the user to control which Scenes are affected.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, awesome job with this, I think it's a cool idea to have events that still function while inside the menu.
Thank you :) Still lots to do but it's really coming along.
Not to hijak this thread, but is there any possibility of adding this functionality to the Shop Scene as well? Also it'd be nice to have a plugin parameter that would allow the user to control which Scenes are affected.
Sure thing sounds good to me I'll add it to the TODO list :) :thumbsup-right:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?
I keep trying to explain to clients that the huddle masses behind the old K-Mart are a Fallout Reenactment group. Somehow I don't think they believe me. :LZSskeptic:
Hey people! What do you think about a core plugin? This will save some lines of code that I repeatedly use in all my plugins...
Wondering if I should make my enemies scale in my non-linear rpg. I'm leaning towards yes, but I don't want to use Yanfly's plugin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foghiszdenisz