Question about project transfer and exit strategies

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by BreakerZero, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For reasons beyond my control I have hit a wall in dealing with family and other individuals in terms of continuing my project and as a result I am in a position where I cannot continue as planned. But before I completely give up on all that I have done and destroy my entire project as necessary to maintain the requisite level of responsibility under intellectual property laws, I want to at least check on what anyone here would think about exit strategies in terms of responsibility transfers for an incomplete product.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There is none. If all the assets are from RPGMaker no destruction is needed, and there is no need to destroy the project. In fact, I'd suggest you keep it and just delay the project, maybe you can get past this wall 1 - 3 years in the future and can resume work.

In fact, to give you an idea, right now I've started 6 projects since I came here. 1 is done, 2 are aborted, 2 are paused, and 1 is in progress. Only thing I've had to do is close the project page for the aborted ones.

Now if you filed for a trademark there's more work to do as you need to release it if possible, though if you don't it will expire after a while too.

3. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To clarify, I wasn't attempting to refer to anything that I or anyone else has released to the community, just the scene renders, program and plot details that are specific to my project. Furthermore it is a question of a transfer of responsibility for the project itself with the option for a consulting role.

4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do I understand that you want to give your game to someone else to complete, while potentially acting in an advisory role, and they will have to provide the skills or finance to complete it?

If you transfer, you are transferring ownership, which means they may change it quite significantly and you may not be happy with what they do. To prevent that, you could have a contract written up specifying the terms under which they will receive your project. If there is no payment, you are giving away all that you have worked and paid for, for nothing in return - THAT is more like a scam and being robbed blind.

Relatively few games that are started are completed, and you risk someone taking it on but not really doing much more with it. I'm with bgillisp - just let it hibernate a while and see if your situation changes. You could work on other things in the meantime, using placeholder resources as necessary, making notes about what needs to be swapped out when the time comes.

Nobody will love your game the way you do. I think you would end up disappointed if you followed through with this. Please just wait a week or two before you do anything. Decisions made during times of heightened emotion rarely end well.

Aloe Guvner likes this.
  5. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do you mean by this?

Aloe Guvner likes this.
  6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I second Shaz. I hit a point last week where I wanted to gouge my eyes out rather than draw another map, so I just put it down and decided to take a 1 week vacation from the project as I figured I just needed a break. Just let the project sit as it is.

Also there no need to delete the story, scene renders and such if unused. Many AAA companies have unused items and such, and some of it never sees the light of day, and some of it does only because the company goes under and no longer cares what someone does with it so they release it publicly for anyone to use.

7. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And at the same time it is possible that if not a complete transfer of responsibility then to split resources with someone who can back things up and provide assistance with the kind of things you can't do yourself as a sort of "middle ground" measure, and who may also be a bit more capable of fighting past all the hate that you've experienced? I'm willing to consider all options right now as I've had other things go wrong in the past. One example is when I had an MMO cash shop escapade go wrong (in which case they still believe that I got taken for a ride when I only offered to assist but ended up going over budget) and another is where I was basically on a "character theme" wardrobe kick (I'm going to spare the nerd-certified term as I really don't mention to anyone that I still have some of 'em unless they're already aware of it). So basically I want to avoid getting into anything that goes wrong on me and I'm guessing that working with someone who can fight past the hate on my end may be the way to go.

That doesn't mean it has to be an outright transfer (and if it looks like it could head that way I can obviously serve their rights in court if I have to) but at least having someone else on board for collaboration reasons may be exactly the kind of measure that I need right now.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I think what would be best for you is to try and get people to help you without any transfer of funds.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your project - do you have a thread in Games in Development? How far along are you? What have you already done? What do you have that's ready to go in but needs something else first that you don't have / can't get (plugins, art, etc)? What needs to be done to get it to completion? Where do your skills lie?

Are you planning this as a commercial project?

I think you should post up some threads for the resources you're still needing. Lots of people get free resources that way. You can either just post a few requests for small items, then as they get filled, post new requests for the next things. Or if you need a LOT of things and want them in a short timeframe, consider Project Recruitment - though that generally means you're taking partners who might want to make changes.

Generally, if you have a lot of money, you can afford to pay people to get things in a short timeframe. If you don't have a lot of money, then you can get what you can free, and save up for the rest, which means it'll take a bit longer. If you don't have ANY money, then you have to get everything for free, which is going to take even longer, but this is the spot you're in. Also consider if you can change your game around a bit so some of those things you're still needing aren't really necessary any longer.

9. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the insight. As I have finally reached a point where I have an understanding of what the expectations are and what the problem is (apparently they simply don't want me to pay for anything because then I will be considered as paying off scammers and cheats regardless of the legitimacy factor) I am redacting all talk about this matter effective immediately.

And as a confirmation of my intentions, this is in fact a commercial release project.

10. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Closed at OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.