joey109

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello, so this is my 1st project and im having trouble making a boss event.

so the event page has 2 lines of text , which introduces boss ans asks the player if they are ready to fight

then a yes no choice, when the player fights and wins , i have the boss say some dialogue and i am having trouble making the boss stop talking. after the fight is over. the boss says his 2 lines again and asks if the player is ready t o to fight. i need the event to end after the boss does his dialogue that results form player victory. how do i use a switch to do this or what od i use on the event page?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welcome!

It sounds like you should do some additional tutorials - this is pretty basic event coding that should be covered before you even get to starting a proper game. Here's an example, and you might want to check out the whole series, in addition to the MV tutorial in the Help menu:

The short answer is:
1 - At the end of your event, add the event command Control Self Switch and turn on self switch A

2 - At the top of your event window, add a new page. Leave all of the page blank and don't touch any of the settings on the left pane, except checking off the Condition Self Switch, and choose A.

If you want the boss NPC to still be there, then choose that image on the second page also. Otherwise, it will disappear when you switch to that page.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure if the help above is what you really need.

it explains to you how to stop an autorun or parallel process loop, but boss events in my opinion should be neither to start with - you should have an action button trigger or touch trigger to start the sequence.

can you show screenshots of your event code, then we can help you better how it should be done.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it explains to you how to stop an autorun or parallel process loop, but boss events in my opinion should be neither to start with - you should have an action button trigger or touch trigger to start the sequence.
It's okay for you to have that opinion, but it's not very reflective of how these things are often done :guffaw:

I can point to, I think every single Final Fantasy game I've ever played, where entering a certain room triggers a cutscene that leads to the boss battle.

The same is true for Suikoden, Shin Megami Tensei, Phantasy Star...off the top of my head, I can't think of a game I played where a boss was just standing around and I had to walk up to them and initiate a conversation.

I'm sure there are probably some, but they're not common enough to be sticking in my head.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
where entering a certain room triggers a cutscene that leads to the boss battle.
and that should be done by a touch-triggered event on the entrance, not by a parallel process running even if the player doesn't enter that room.

parallel processes are for constant surveilance and a very few specific cases where the timing can't be pinpointed in advance.
you should not spam them for single-sequence-events, that is what touch-triggers are for.

joey109

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this is my event , code, its simple dialogue with the a simple fight, my goal is to have the dialogue after the fight only happen once, but the event just repeats and your allowed to the the boss again. which im trying to figure out how to stop

Attachments

• Screenshot (173).png
    Screenshot (173).png
    737.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (174).png
    Screenshot (174).png
    731.6 KB · Views: 5

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but the event just repeats
a wrong choice of words that cause the confusion for both @ATT_Turan and me.
your event does not repeat - it allows you to restart on command, because you never have the event remember that it already happened.

my suggestion is that in the "if win" section of the battle processing, you add a control switch or control self-switch command. If you use the control switch variant, name the switch something like "won against XY" - but this should not be done for most regular fight events, regular fight events should use self-switch A.

then make a second event page, condition it to self-switch A and enter a show text "you already defeated me" or something like that there.

the general named switch would be the case if you want the discussion on the first page to repeat just without some of the text, then you would have to use conditional branch checking that named switch to see if the battle was won or not and change the show texts accordingly.

Which comes to a side advice - in your last command, you control switch 1 but have not named that.
NEVER use a switch without naming it.
that has a lot of reasons including to prevent you from using a switch in two different places - if it is already named then you know it cannot be used anywhere else.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and that should be done by a touch-triggered event on the entrance, not by a parallel process running even if the player doesn't enter that room.
Maybe we're talking about different things somehow, but I don't know how a parallel process on a map could be running when the player doesn't enter that room. If a map isn't loaded, none of its events, including those set to parallel, will run.

If you're talking about a room that is a section of a map, then of course no, that would be neither parallel nor autorun, but an event set to player touch in the doorway. I don't think anything in my prior post claimed anything so ridiculous :wink:

(in fact, I haven't mentioned parallel in this thread, I linked a tutorial about autorun presuming that was what the OP was using.)

this is my event , code, its simple dialogue with the a simple fight, my goal is to have the dialogue after the fight only happen once, but the event just repeats and your allowed to the the boss again. which im trying to figure out how to stop
So your description, both in this post and your original one, is worded poorly which is what's led to all of the confusion in the responses.

There is nothing in this event that would make it repeat. You are allowed to repeat it by talking to the NPC again, but it does not repeat itself.

Just make a second event page that has no code (or a simple greeting in response to the player or something) and has a condition of that Switch 1.

Edit: Ninja Andar :cool:

joey109

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thank you, i have been developing this project for 3 days and its very new to me. i will try to be more to the point going forward, thank you both so much, ill post any questions i have after i make the alterations and test my project

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for 3 days and its very new to me.
then I suggest you pause working on your project in favor of working through the tutorials of the maker (under help section) and some of the basic tutorials around here (for example the ones linked in my starting point in my signature).

RPG-Maker is simply too big to learn "on the job" - you have to follow a guideline to learn the basics, or you will have problems up to and including the need to scrap your first project, waisting any time and work done on it due to making too many mistakes in it.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Not today... Not today...
I guess I should send my CV to Hasbro. I've made Monopoly cheaters edition more fun and challenging. I've developed custom cheats and chest/chance cards for it. And I've cleared many nightmares through my cards and rules.
I'm only missing 2 more bgms for my game but maaaaan, searching for these tracks is killing me. Can't find anything good to replace MZ's Theme 2 and Scene 5 I have as placeholders. Everything is too epic or too evil or too alarming. That 'scene 5' track in particular would fit nicely with my scene. Well, at least I finally figured what my last click-fest of a gameplay element will be like, so something positive :D
Finding new interesting stuff to make for the resource calendar becomes harder every year D:
ScreenShot_8_19_2022_2_3_18.png
FINALLY got the mood system in the game during battle. Since the game is called Panic Attack, I figured you should have certain moods present including Panic. so the main 3 or Hype, Depressed, and Anxious. Panic is only when stunned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Azora