Question About Sprites

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by HexMozart88, Jun 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've been trying to figure out what kind of sprites to do for my game, as it's a very dark game and the default sprites don't really match that atmosphere. I was wondering what kind of sprites people generally prefer. Bigger like:

il_340x270.589951100_n7bt.jpg

or smaller like:

Drawn_to_life_raposa_sprites_.png

The smaller ones are a bit easier, however, the bigger ones are much cooler. 

2. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Seems to me that going for cutsier sprites, while easier, is not the way to go...unless you're pulling off some sorta reversal where things start out nice then the Sledgehammer of Doom comes around to pound that cutsie image to paste.

It's a matter of approach, I'd say.

3. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think if you're gonna go with a dark atmospheric game than the first option would be better.

Hard to have dark moods when the people around you have heads larger than their bodies.

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This forum, 'General Discussion', is for discussing general principles of game making as they might apply to several games.  It is not for getting feedback specific to one particular game.  So...

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

'Resource Support' is for all questions to do with resource creation and selection.

5. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I personally prefer the correctly-proportioned sprites.

they add a lot more colour and expression to the characters, as you can see from the poses they take in the first pic.

the square ones seem too cartoony, unless you are aiming for that style.

you can always rig your game to work with bigger sprites, by offsetting events and detections some pixels higher or lower... but you can't go smaller than the square sprites.

if you're really skilled, you can just build your entire set of graphics from scratch (tiles, backgrounds, battlers and effects all in tune), and the whole game around it.

6. Pine Towers

Pine Towers Knight Hospitaller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How correctly-proportionate can a sprite go? I mean, Chrono Trigger's use a simple 3 Head-Size (HS) for the sprite (1 HS for the head, 2 HS for the body). In art drawing, a proportionate human body is 7 to 9 HS.

7. ShizuuArtt

ShizuuArtt Artist, Animator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sprites can be any Head-Size, but the more heads high they are, the larger your sprite will be. However that also depends on how big your character head is lol. If you look at Ryu from Street Fighter, he's about 7 HS, he's not thousands of pixels, but he's still taller then the default RPG Maker sprites.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
    Pine Towers likes this.
  8. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    To be 100% honest, I'm garbage at pixel art (Except dragons oddly) so I was basically planning on drawing the sprites. I was just stuck on a good way to do them.  

9. ShizuuArtt

ShizuuArtt Artist, Animator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A good way to start out drawing sprites if you haven't done them much is to start with smaller, simpler sprites, 32x32 are standard RPG Maker size. And then as you get better at those, you can start adding height to them. 

Since you can draw dragons (which is really cool btw) you already know some skills you can use for people as well, practice is really the key. :)

10. coyotecraft

coyotecraft Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It would be hard to pull off a serious dark atmosphere if your characters look like plushies. 

Something like 3-4 heads height, where the body is still a little wider than the head. 2 heads height might work on a pixel scale because there's so much detail omitted.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2016