angelique

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Due to copyright and permission being too complicated and getting denied by the creator of the avatar site I was using for busts...the previous project has been shut down.

-----------

On to topic:

I'm trying to make a game where theres dice play in the formula...I have a demo...but I wanna add a new skill but I don't know how to add the formula for the new skill yet...any suggestions?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it would help if you tell us what the skill is supposed to do - we can't tell you how to solve a problem if we don't know what the problem is ;-)

angelique

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well it applies for all types of skills since thats what the original D&D version does is use dice for attacks and skills.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You don't understand - the problem is with your wording. You can't fit a dice (a physical object that you can take into your hand) into a mathematical text line.

So what do you want to place into the damage formula? If you want to place a random number there that can be achieved by the ruby codes for the randomizer, but that does not return regular numbers.

So you'll need multiplier or a special script call to convert numbers.

But that all depends on what exactly you want as a result, script functions need to be written to specifications.

Or to summarize:

Basically anything can be done in the formula.

Some things need a lot more work than others however.

And only with a more detailed description of what you want there can we tell you how much work it would be to make that happen.

angelique

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The demo I had had a dice roll mechanism that said "You rolled a 8 + 2 critical hit" thats what I want >_>

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That will need scripting - and a lot of it.

Changing numbers being processed in the damage formula is easy, but to display parts of them (instead of only the result) you'll have to change the Vocabs to include multiple parts of the formula, for that you'll have to change the ruby code calling the vocab in the battle engine, then that part of the battle engine needs access to the different numbers to be used.

That in turn would mean you have to change how to place the damage formula into the game, and fit all changes together.

That is not easily done - you might search if there is a script that does this, but a year ago there wasn't one and I don't remember seeing something like that since my last going through the master script list. There have been some scripts to change Ace into something similiar to D&D and one of them might help you, so search for yourself.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sounds like you just want to roll two random numbers between 1 and 6 and output the result: the script snippet I linked you to does that, so what is it you want that I'm missing?

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Adding the result of the roll to the game message.

I can't test it currently, but as far as i'm aware, the message doesn't get shown until "wait_for_message" is calles, yes? If so, the message is hopefully available inside the damage formula and can be modified accordingly.

angelique

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That will need scripting - and a lot of it.

Changing numbers being processed in the damage formula is easy, but to display parts of them (instead of only the result) you'll have to change the Vocabs to include multiple parts of the formula, for that you'll have to change the ruby code calling the vocab in the battle engine, then that part of the battle engine needs access to the different numbers to be used.

That in turn would mean you have to change how to place the damage formula into the game, and fit all changes together.

That is not easily done - you might search if there is a script that does this, but a year ago there wasn't one and I don't remember seeing something like that since my last going through the master script list. There have been some scripts to change Ace into something similiar to D&D and one of them might help you, so search for yourself.
I have that game/demo with those scripts but I'm still trying to figure out what do I put in the formula that the creator of the demo did for my own skills.

Sounds like you just want to roll two random numbers between 1 and 6 and output the result: the script snippet I linked you to does that, so what is it you want that I'm missing?
ah I'll look at it again,

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I had a dream where it was Friday, and what happened in the dream was irrelevant, because I woke up and it's not Friday, so I'm sad.
edit: third time's the charm? some graphic text I whipped up that I like for the mid-game intertitle, now with all of the actual letters in the stupid damn words I was trying to spell :uswt2:
kcsmall.png
It is december, my dudes

badge_xmas.png
I love it when a plan comes together, and especially when Ruby decides to work with me when I decide to code. :kaopride:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicolas974