Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey, there's this awesome Mode 7 script that's even allowed to be used for commercial games (MGC Mode 7 Ace), and I'm interested in using it for my future projects. However, it apparently requires a DLL (provided with the script and to be placed in the game folder) to render the Mode 7 effect.

I read something about it being against Enterbrain's terms to "mod" the engine, and was unsure if that's what this is doing. It just doesn't seem right for this to be unusable... I mean, VXA itself relies upon DLLs (CoGenDrm, SciLexer, etc.) in its directory to function, so why not our games as well? The author of the script was generous enough to authorize it for commercial games, and it'd be a tragic shame if it couldn't be used after all.

If that's the case, then does this mean that any script that needs a DLL with it is against this regulation? What if DLLs are mandatory for all Mode 7 scripts (no idea if they really are in all cases)? Would that mean, theoretically, that no Mode 7 script complies with Enterbrain's terms?

This is bugging me... I would really like to use that script.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the EULA prevents you from modifying the DLL's provided by Enterbrain, there is nothing against adding different DLL's to add functionality as long as those DLLs themselves are legal to use.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
DLLs are allowed, nothing on the EULA says that it's not... what is not allowed is altering the DLLs that came with the maker and well the .exe's too... so as long as that DLL is not an edited version of any RM DLL, it's fine to use as long as that DLL is a legal one...

Last edited by a moderator:

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
NOTE: For some reason, I've been having trouble using the "quote" function on the forum lately, otherwise Andar I would've quoted your post here.

So I guess, since the creator of the script/DLL authorized it for commercial use, everything's A-OK, then?

MGC

Coder
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I confirm that there is nothing illegal in my DLL (Solo, if you have doubts, I can send you the source code). There shouldn't be any legal issue when using the mode 7 script.

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
... :o   :o   :o  !!!

MGC!! Oh my gosh, it's you! Wow!! Your Mode 7 script is awesome; I dreamed of using one someday, and yours is perfect! I have no doubts at all, and God bless you for being so generous! I can't wait to credit you when the time finally comes! :D   :D   :D

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
Ami
--- OP Candy ---

Kids: Trick Or Treat!
Hero: Alright,here's the Candies (Give A Bunch Of Candy).
Kids: Thank you,Mister! (Running)
Hero: How cute they are…
F.Archer: Did you give them a OP Candy,accidently?
Hero: Huh?
Halloween, a day where kids are encouraged to take candy from strangers.
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry90