Question about updating your own game...

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by SharpFFFFFF, Mar 19, 2016.

1. SharpFFFFFF

SharpFFFFFF Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I felt I needed to seek advice here since the nature of the question means it's kind of difficult to search for- whenever I put in 'Update' or 'DLC' it takes me to software-related answers...

If I was making a game that was rather ambitious, and I'd like to release it in say, chapters, or that I've decided to add in a party member after releasing the game, or even if I have to release a patch to deal with bugs etc, exactly how should I deploy the file? Basically, something that only works if the user already owns the basegame. 

I apologize if it's totally basic knowledge or has been answered elsewhere.

2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well if your not adding any new graphics or music you can just upload the new data file to overwrite the old.

3. SharpFFFFFF

First Language:
    English

Oh, does that mean things outside the WWW folder stay the same no matter how you mess with the game?

4. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm sorry can you explain that a bit better for me?

5. SharpFFFFFF

First Language:
    English

Well, basically there's the base game that people paid something for, but when I need to release extra content (like DLC or an update) without putting the whole game in public domain. So I'd have to deploy something that would useless if you didn't already have the game. I realize that for extra assets and stuff I could single those out and ask people to extract that into their game folder, but for changes to the actual code and events in the game itself, I wasn't completely sure where those changes take place file-wise, if the executable file changed or one of the dlls get altered or something. 

Thanks very much!

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No executable or DLL is ever changed when creating an RM game, as those are only the base engine and contain no data.

In the case of MV the entire game is in javascript and in the WWW folder, the executable and its parts are nothing than a browser.

7. SharpFFFFFF

First Language:
    English

Aha, I think I get it. Thanks very much!

8. Menos

Menos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If your game file isn't large, you also might consider not trying to use patches at all: just re-release the full game and let people move their save files. There are games developed on a chapter by chapter basis in VX Ace, and people seem to think it's easier to move saves than to mess with any other files.