tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi,

I'm new to RPG Maker MV (literally have not played an RPG Maker since the PS1 game). I downloaded all of these sweet free DLC resources to expand my options for character creation and BGM. While I can use the BGM just fine, I can't use any of the character stuff.

After 90 minutes of reading and watching tutorials and forum discussions, all I've really accomplished is moving all the assets into Project > img > characters ... but I still don't see anything when I open up the Character Generator. What's more, now even the standard files included in the game are missing when I open Character Generator.

I must have done something half-right, because when I open Resource Manager, all the DLC files I acquired are visible. I'm just not sure what step I'm missing.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Character generator images do not come from your project. The character generator is in the folder where MV itself is installed. If you are going to be adding resources to that, make sure you back up the folder first because it's very easy to get it wrong, and when you do, the whole thing is corrupted.

Other resources - tiles, windowskins, etc - go into your project > img > ... folders.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll try to help if I can but a couple of things first:

1) What do you mean by "character stuff"? Are we talking just sprites or all of the generator parts (hair, clothes, accessories, etc.) too?
2) If your Character Generator is totally empty, that means the files got deleted from the main Program folder (...KADOKAWA > Generator).

Like Shaz mentioned, backing up stuff first is important. For now, it may be easiest to uninstall/reinstall RPG Maker and start fresh though. Here's a video that explains how to import stuff:

I remember how frustrated I was when I first got MV because the ExtraAssets executable file was in Japanese and I felt so lost! Hang in there; it gets better. :)

Note: The "Project1" folder that RPG Maker makes is your game file, so anything you add to that will not show up in your next game file.

Last edited:

Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Step 1-> Create a New Project
Step 2 -> Open up the New Project in RPG Maker
Step 3 -> Open up Tools -> Resource Manager on the Top Selection Tab.
Step 4 -> Select the Folder and make use of "Import" or "DLC" Buttons to import, Making sure the right material goes to the right folder

PS : I'm using RPG Maker MV on Steam

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for your responses!

I moved all the character assets I downloaded back to Generator. Unfortunately, still nothing shows up when I go to Character Generator in RMMV. When I import something, it shows up on the checkered grid, but when I click on it, it disappears.

I did successfully load some different hair types, but they're showing up in Database under SV Battler ... which doesn't help because I can't create a character that's only hair haha. Same with Database>Face ... I see a small amount of imported stuff there, but it's only hair components.

All this to say ... I think I'm not understanding the difference in the various assets -- specifically completed character sprites and faces vs. the individual components (hair, etc.) I downloaded. I'm not seeing the correlation between folders of stuff I downloaded and where it should go in Resource Manager.

BTW, I'm using the trial version of RMMV downloaded from the company website. I'm guessing this is why I don't have a "DLC" button in Resource Manager

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No character generator pieces should show up in any of your database tabs. If they do, you've still got them in the wrong place.

Character generator stuff goes in generator folder where MV is installed. And you can't just copy/paste them there - you have to rename them, and do it correctly, or your generator will be broken.

Finished resources go in your project folder.

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Honestly, the more tutorials I read about adding custom Generator parts, the more this sounds like something that's over my head.

All I really want is 1) to be able to customize my characters further , and 2) be able to create taller characters (not a fan of chibi). It's puzzling to me that you have to jump through hoops to make these two things happen, but I'm not the most intuitive either.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are right - for some reason adding generator parts has caused quite a few problems for people in the past - there's a very specific way you have to do it. And if you are getting confused with what goes into your project's folders and where the generator pieces should go, I'm thinking you would probably be in the group of people who do find it difficult and might make mistakes.

however, there is another character generator around somewhere. I've seen the thread popping up a bit over the last couple of weeks. Perhaps if you search for that you might find it easier to use?

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know if this is the character generator Shaz is referring to but maybe it'll help?

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
While a topic like this exists; do we have to still put ! or $ at the start of imports we're doing?

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Funnily enough, I just downloaded the Extended Generator like an hour ago.

In the "small victory" department, I made a character in it, exported 5 faces, 1 walking sprite, 1, dead-person-on-ground sprite, and 1 battler sprite. I even got it into the Database and put it on a hero:

screen.PNG

Now to the bad part: I moved ALL the custom files I'd downloaded into what looked to be the appropriate folder in Generator. I moved TV Female stuff into the "TV>Female" folder, for example; Variations into the "Variations" folder; and so on. This took a long time. And I still can't seem to get it into neither the built-in Character Generator nor the Extended Generator.

There are a couple of options inside -- "Import resources from an RPG Maker-like folder" and "Import RPG Maker MV Resources." The latter option does nothing except give me the standard in-house resources. As for the former ... I've tried importing folders, but the "Begin Importation" button remains grayed out. I'm sure the fact that I don't understand the directions has a little to do w/ that.

Capture.PNG

Thanks for listening to me whine haha

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'll try to help if I can but a couple of things first:

1) What do you mean by "character stuff"? Are we talking just sprites or all of the generator parts (hair, clothes, accessories, etc.) too?
2) If your Character Generator is totally empty, that means the files got deleted from the main Program folder (...KADOKAWA > Generator).

Like Shaz mentioned, backing up stuff first is important. For now, it may be easiest to uninstall/reinstall RPG Maker and start fresh though. Here's a video that explains how to import stuff:

I remember how frustrated I was when I first got MV because the ExtraAssets executable file was in Japanese and I felt so lost! Hang in there; it gets better. :)

Note: The "Project1" folder that RPG Maker makes is your game file, so anything you add to that will not show up in your next game file.
I just bought MZ and downloaded my free copy of MV. Sooo, that "ExtraAssets" file that comes in Japanese ... any idea what it's telling me to do?

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just bought MZ and downloaded my free copy of MV. Sooo, that "ExtraAssets" file that comes in Japanese ... any idea what it's telling me to do?
Hopefully, that changed by now but the install file was in Japanese when I purchased MV in 2018. There was a separate ExtraAssets folder though so I manually imported what I wanted.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@tumsterfest : My generator will keep that button grayed if your directory is wrong. MV-like folders have the same hierarchy as MV's default generator :

You've got one folder per template (Face, SV, TV, TVD) plus the icon folder (Variation). Inside each folder, you've got a folder with the categories (Male, Female, Kid). Then you have the pictures in the appropriate folders.

If your folder doesn't match this hierarchy, my generator won't import and keep that button grayed out.

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hopefully, that changed by now but the install file was in Japanese when I purchased MV in 2018. There was a separate ExtraAssets folder though so I manually imported what I wanted.
I can report that on Aug. 13, 2020, it is still in Japanese haha ... not that it'll matter a week from now.

@tumsterfest : My generator will keep that button grayed if your directory is wrong. MV-like folders have the same hierarchy as MV's default generator :

You've got one folder per template (Face, SV, TV, TVD) plus the icon folder (Variation). Inside each folder, you've got a folder with the categories (Male, Female, Kid). Then you have the pictures in the appropriate folders.

If your folder doesn't match this hierarchy, my generator won't import and keep that button grayed out.
When you download a folder of resources non-native to RMMV -- an "MV-like folder," as you put it -- does it matter where that folder goes on the computer? Or is the folder hierarchy/structure all that matters?

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only the hierarchy matters for the folder, no matter where it is on the computer.

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks, that helps. What does one do with something like the Tall Adult Body Generator? There's a mishmash of like 1,000+ files in there -- is there a streamlined way to sort those into groups rather than going through them one by one?

(Part of my issue is that the stuff y'all take for granted -- terms like "SV," "Battler," "Picture," "Variation," "Face," "Sprite," and so on -- is really hard for me to keep track of. I've tried looking for a glossary to reference, but no luck.)

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is simply the names MV gave to his folders. Here is the default generator folder : Face, for Face, SV for Sideview charsets, TV for Tileview charsets, TVD for Tileview Damaged Charsets. And Variation is a name they chose for the icon folder, to show you all possible variations of one element.
1597381194974.png

Concerning TAB, it is based on my generator, so things are different. In addition to all of this, my generator can import specific file formats with extensions RXGE2. For TAB, if the creator simply export all resources under a rxge2 file, you can import that single file.

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since this file type seems to be specific to RPG Maker, I can't find any instructions on how to take this TAB Generator folder and turn it into a single RCGE2 file. Are there specific, step-by-step instructions for this somewhere?

Sorry for all the questions.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
do we have to still put ! or $ at the start of imports we're doing?
that depends on what you are importing. Both ! and $ have very specific functions in the game, and you activate or deactivate those functions by placing the flags in the filename. And that completely depends on what kind of spritesheet you have. For some sprites you have to add them to work correctly, for other you must not add them at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just saw in a manga an interesting mechanic - setting up a stationary teleport beacon that one can go to no matter where one is in a dungeon. I think it'll work with a similar setup to how I did my airship transition.

Ooh what if you could set up multiple beacons and choose from a list of the beacons you set up?

Hmm...
Actor2_1 added!

Is the running performance of MZ output to Android platform smoother than MV output?
FINALLY GOT ALL 120 STARS IN SUPER MARIO 64!!!

Ok i got the model New and I will develop a little more, I think my SV is not beautiful yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkekkbab