Question From New Idiot Re: Importing Resources

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
that depends on what you are importing. Both ! and $ have very specific functions in the game, and you activate or deactivate those functions by placing the flags in the filename. And that completely depends on what kind of spritesheet you have. For some sprites you have to add them to work correctly, for other you must not add them at all.
Examples? As thus far everything I've put in has seemed to work just fine without really taking ! or $ into account.

I just remember having to use it for EVERYTHING in VX.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MerlinCross
! is the object flag. without being declared an object a sprite is shifted a few pixels up to make it look as if the person is walking inside the grid instead of on its borders. However all objects (doors etc) have that flag because they need to align to the grid

$ is the single sprite flag. without that flag, a file is considered to be a spritesheet consisting of 4x2 sprites. But all single sprite pictures (like the big monsters) have that flag.

I just remember having to use it for EVERYTHING in VX.
that just means that you only created single sprites - if you ever had created a spritesheet of eight sprites, then you would have to skip the flag $

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@MerlinCross
! is the object flag. without being declared an object a sprite is shifted a few pixels up to make it look as if the person is walking inside the grid instead of on its borders. However all objects (doors etc) have that flag because they need to align to the grid

$ is the single sprite flag. without that flag, a file is considered to be a spritesheet consisting of 4x2 sprites. But all single sprite pictures (like the big monsters) have that flag.

that just means that you only created single sprites - if you ever had created a spritesheet of eight sprites, then you would have to skip the flag $
I just did it because back then every time I saw anything about uploading sprites it was "Put ! or $ in front"

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then every time I saw anything about uploading sprites it was "Put ! or $ in front"
that never was the case, those flags always had their specific functions.

so either you misread that advice, or it was given by newbies that never understood why they were sprouting nonsense - there were a few of those, for example those who claimed that "don't run" on the troop events was about not escaping (it comes from 'to run a program' and means 'never execute this troop event')

MerlinCross

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
that never was the case, those flags always had their specific functions.

so either you misread that advice, or it was given by newbies that never understood why they were sprouting nonsense - there were a few of those, for example those who claimed that "don't run" on the troop events was about not escaping (it comes from 'to run a program' and means 'never execute this troop event')
I just remember seeing it so wide spread I just did it myself. So probably a combo of both. I never thought to ask till now considering I don't see talks of ! or $ as much anymore.

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@tumsterfest : My generator will keep that button grayed if your directory is wrong. MV-like folders have the same hierarchy as MV's default generator :

You've got one folder per template (Face, SV, TV, TVD) plus the icon folder (Variation). Inside each folder, you've got a folder with the categories (Male, Female, Kid). Then you have the pictures in the appropriate folders.

If your folder doesn't match this hierarchy, my generator won't import and keep that button grayed out.
I was finally able to arrange a new folder and subfolders, and move all the thousands of files in the right sub-subfolders. I got the Extended Generator to accept the upload. It imported everything, supposedly, and said "Importation Complete" at the end.

But ... I went to start playing around with it, and everything looks exactly the same.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How are named your files? MV-like folders also have a strict naming convention for each file, the same as RPG Maker MV files.

Take a look at the resources inside MV's generator to compare.

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I haven't messed with the file names, so they're still the same as they were in the TAB Generator folder. Do I have to rename all the files one by one?

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For TAB, you cannot import as a MV-like folder, because this isn't one. @Anyone is currently in the middle of restructuring TAB for my new version of the generator.

For better efficiency, I'd suggest you to wait until he's done.

tumsterfest

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For TAB, you cannot import as a MV-like folder, because this isn't one. @Anyone is currently in the middle of restructuring TAB for my new version of the generator.

For better efficiency, I'd suggest you to wait until he's done.
Thanks for answering my questions. Not sure if this is something you can answer yet, but would the revised generator and TAB files be compatible with MZ?

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The sprite sheets in MZ have the same dimension as MV, so you use them. TAB is based on MV's resources, though, you won't miraculously have MZ resources in tall battlers for now.

As for my generator, as soon as MZ is out, I'll prepare an automatic importation of MZ folders, like MV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Our program, who art in memory,
Called by thy name;
Thy operating system run;
Thy function be done at runtime as it was on development.
Give us this day our daily output.
And forgive us our code duplication,
as we forgive those who
duplicate code against us.
And lead us not into frustration;
But deliver us from GOTOs.
For thine is algorithm,
The computation, and the solution,
Looping forever and ever.
Return;
NeoPGX wrote on Kes's profile.
Oh hey I just saw your comment on my profile status update.

The thing is I have twitter set up mark all my content as being potentially sensitive by default. I do it as a precaution even though I very rarely upload any such content.
I'm the fly in your soup
I'm the pebble in your shoe
I'm the pea beneath your bed
I'm the bump on every head
I'm the peel on which you slip
I'm the pin in every hip
I'm the thorn in your side
Makes you wriggle and writhe
And it's so easy when you're evil
bro how do I have over 30 OCs
A good way to mix your own music? What's the learning curve on that?
Would it be better to pay a composer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArcanoTheDarksmiler