Question: Is there a new RPG Maker in the making?

SilverSkele

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am considering buying RPG Maker MV. But I fear that in doing so, sooner or later a new RPG Making software will be released. If a new software does come to surface, will there be the option to upgrade?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]Product Discussion and Support[/move]

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sure, sooner or later, a new RPG Maker will be released. Given that they are still releasing updates for the current one though, and still producing addon tools, I suspect it will be later rather than sooner. And it's not likely for any upgrade option (based on there never being an upgrade option with any of the previous releases).

The question is, do you want to make a game now, or do you want to sit around waiting for something that may or may not happen for another few years, if at all?

If you're a Steam user, there's a sale on right now (looks like, in my currency, MV is currently selling at 25% of the RRP). I don't know if the sale is going to be repeated in the web store.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think there would be an upgrade option. For most software a new version isn't a huge difference from the last, they'll add a new tool and optimize a few things, but for the most part it will behave exactly like the last version. In this case, a reduced cost for an upgrade makes sense, because no one wants to pay full price for almost the same thing. This isn't how things are done between versions of RPG Maker. Changes are very significant, making it actually worth your time to consider which version suits your specific needs. Although the excitement is always directed towards the new engine, there are still people talking about how 2k3's eventing system is very powerful, how XP has the best mapping, (how VX isn't worth getting), how efficient Ace is. So, yeah, the term "upgrade" doesn't really apply in this case. Each engine is it's own thing. Maybe it'll help to think of it like a game sequel instead. Yeah, they might announce a new Assassin's Creed right after you buy Odyssey, but that doesn't matter too much because although there are a lot of similarities between the Assassin's Creed games, they're different enough to be their own thing. That's the kind of difference you'll see between RPG Makers. If MV suits the game you want to make, by all means, use MV.

MV had lots of warning before it came out, so we could all get super excited for it. The hype was crazy. I don't know if they'll try to hype it up quite so bad next time, but I expect that we'll get warning before the next one shows up. So even if it was announced tomorrow you'd still have enough time to make something small in MV before it came out.

Another thing to consider is that it takes time for the community driven stuff to build up. Things like resources, scripts, and tutorials will not be there for a long time after the initial release of a new engine. This is really huge, especially if you're new to using RPG Maker. Do you really want to get the latest version and then have to wait two years until the perfect plugin gets created, when it already exists in MV? When MV first came out, that's what at least half of the new threads on this forum were about, complaining about or trying to find a work around for these problems. Sometimes it's better not to have the newest thing.

SilverSkele

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think there would be an upgrade option. For most software a new version isn't a huge difference from the last, they'll add a new tool and optimize a few things, but for the most part it will behave exactly like the last version. In this case, a reduced cost for an upgrade makes sense, because no one wants to pay full price for almost the same thing. This isn't how things are done between versions of RPG Maker. Changes are very significant, making it actually worth your time to consider which version suits your specific needs. Although the excitement is always directed towards the new engine, there are still people talking about how 2k3's eventing system is very powerful, how XP has the best mapping, (how VX isn't worth getting), how efficient Ace is. So, yeah, the term "upgrade" doesn't really apply in this case. Each engine is it's own thing. Maybe it'll help to think of it like a game sequel instead. Yeah, they might announce a new Assassin's Creed right after you buy Odyssey, but that doesn't matter too much because although there are a lot of similarities between the Assassin's Creed games, they're different enough to be their own thing. That's the kind of difference you'll see between RPG Makers. If MV suits the game you want to make, by all means, use MV.

MV had lots of warning before it came out, so we could all get super excited for it. The hype was crazy. I don't know if they'll try to hype it up quite so bad next time, but I expect that we'll get warning before the next one shows up. So even if it was announced tomorrow you'd still have enough time to make something small in MV before it came out.

Another thing to consider is that it takes time for the community driven stuff to build up. Things like resources, scripts, and tutorials will not be there for a long time after the initial release of a new engine. This is really huge, especially if you're new to using RPG Maker. Do you really want to get the latest version and then have to wait two years until the perfect plugin gets created, when it already exists in MV? When MV first came out, that's what at least half of the new threads on this forum were about, complaining about or trying to find a work around for these problems. Sometimes it's better not to have the newest thing.
Alright thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

*Buys all the PVGames assets, ends up creating his own ground tiles.* At least I used the other types of graphics? Right? :kaoswt:
If you could fold a sheet of paper 42 times, the stack would reach from the earth to the moon. Do whatever you want with that information.
wishing that everyone stays safe at this time
Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
p0nah