RMMV Question: Mixing sprites/tilesets, can it be done effectively?

WanderTrain

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there!

The story of the current game I'm working on starts off in a modern city but then progressively becomes more fantastical as time goes on. As most of you probably know, MV doesn't give you a whole lot to work with in terms of modern elements. I've been looking at various add-ons and have been considering using Omega Modern (https://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/rpg-maker-vxace-recommend/omega-modern-graphics-pack) for the city setting and then using more traditional assets for the fantasy segments.

In terms of characters, however, I'd like a little more customization (I'm not that big of a fan of the sprites available in the Omega pack) so I'm planning on either using sprites from Second Story or RPG Maker DS via Character Game Hub. Question is, would MV allow me to mix such different assets effectively?
Let me know what you guys think!

AmazingKazuki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I use the Time Fantasy, which is Finalbossblue's other resource (primarily before Omega Modern). I thought about using them in their own settings, but that IS using the characters. Because if the characters don't quite match the style of the world around them it can look odd in a lot of places (of course, my opinion).

Overall, yes, MV should let you mix them. Like, you can assign the different resources to the different sheets but they'll clash side-by-side if using map tiles that are different in the same area.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After looking at the link you provided, they would definitely clash hard with RMMV stock characters. If I remember correctly, the DS characters were mostly pastel and faded colors. So they could probably work if you tweaked the color brightness from either the DS or the Omega Modern, so that they more closely matched in hue or vibrancy or whatever. But for art style, the DS matches pretty close to Omega I think. You really won't know until you try. Maybe buy whichever one is cheaper, then recolor it to match the online pics of the other? Or maybe you can find someone who owns them already to do a sample recolor for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ive got a long lost half uncle. Thats real cool.
I forget what is bumping rule in this forum. Is anyone know? Thank you.
BCj
Ew, why does my blogpost on the rpgmaker.net site look like a garbled mess? Are html codes disabled or something?
I feel that I should cut down on my order queue so I can get some more time for my projects, its been quite a longggg while since I worked on them LOL
I friend of mine insisted on practicing dubbing things with him... and its quite funny, yet, it really takes a huge amount of practice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Babiboo