Question on Actor screen_x for Maps smaller than screen size.

Discussion in 'VXAce Luna Engine Support' started by Daeleth, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Daeleth

Daeleth Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello,

First of all I apologise for being a begginner in many areas. I have been going through many tutorials on RPG Maker VX Ace, the Luna Engine, and whatever I can find on the Schala battle system, and I cannot find the core of my issue. First let me explain what I am trying to do.

I am trying to start a new project using both the Luna Engine and the Schala Battle system by Moghunter. Here is what I did so far:

• Start with the Base Luna project
    • Copied over the Scripts from the Schala battle system Demo project
    • Copied the database and map files for actors, events, weapons, etc from the Schala battle system demo.
    This all works as expected in maps larger or equal than the screen size, but it seems when the map is smaller, screen_x is not accurate.

I planned to modify the Schala system for my own needs, and going through its code I find a lot of things are basing positions on an actors's "screen_x" property, which does not seem to compensate for the map being centered, so things like the cursors pointing to players look "shifted" to the left. See the attached image for an example.

I can thing of a few "work-arounds" But I am more concered about using the "screen_x" and what is the proper method to compensate for smaller maps? Is this a bug?

Ultimately, If possible, I wanted to integrate these two systems, so if anyone has already done so, I'd appreciate the help. An added bonus would be if I could use the Luna engine battle menu customization in this as well, but I don't think it is possible, and I don't plan to pursue that just yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

mindTheGap.png

2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Luna engine isn't made for huds.... :rswt:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  3. Daeleth

Daeleth Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I understand that. My concern is if and how to correctly access actor position when the map is smaller than the screen. The current method this script uses actor position to place those cursors. Luna had mention support for larger screen sizes with smaller maps by centering them. Has anyone had a similar issue? It seems like something people would run into before. If you dont think this is the proper place to ask could you redirect me to a better place? Even pointing me to the place in the luna code that centers smaller maps would help.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You don't.
    That is the reason for the minimum map size in the editor, and if you use a script to increase the screen size, than you have to make sure that all your maps are at least screen sized yourself.

The engine will not display the map correctly if the map is smaller than the screen - your problem above is only one of several that usually happen in such cases.

5. Daeleth

Daeleth Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I see. So I am to understand this is the intended function of the Luna Engine? If I heard nothing here, my fallback was going to be exactly as you suggest, make the map sizes bigger than screen size.

I just want to confirm that this is what everyone else has to do, and this position thing is not an issue that will be adressed in the near future.

To clarify, The "script" that modifies the screen size is part of the luna engine, in the base project even. To quote the comments in the "YEA - Core Engine" script:

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------# New Feature: Screen Resolution Size# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------# - The screen can now be resized from 544x416 with ease and still support maps# that are smaller than 544x416. Maps smaller than 544x416 will be centered on# the screen without having sprites jumping all over the place.I am just trying to get a project started, and I want to start with the most "clean" base as I can. What I mean is, For both the Luna engine and the Schala battle system I am using, I want to make sure they are all functioning as inteded by thier developers and understand how to utalize them to the best of my ability before I start any custom scripting. That way I can be mostly sure any errors are in MY code and not the other systems I am using.

6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Yanfly Core is not part of Luna Engine. It is something that we added though incase you want to have higher resolutions that RMVXA doesn't offer from the bag. And it is something that is an issue within the engine itself. The core engine also fixed some of its bugs, like smaller maps actually would display differently and would give you an acid trip if you have it on a resolution of 640x480 for example.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  7. Daeleth

Daeleth Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Ah, I see. Well I think I understand now and I will call it "solved". Thank you for your help! I apologise for any confusion or wasted time... or acid trips for that matter. Sounds like a more troublesome issue than I had.

Archeia likes this.